2014 Toro Rosso STR9

Can I ask something?

I understood that for safety reasons the car's nose had to be lowered to a certain height. But why make make regulations that imply a pointy nose? I actually think this could be as dangerous if not even more dangerous than last years design.

Think of it like this. If you would try to stick a nail through your hand you would succed (mainly because of the small area it has to penetrate). But if you would try to stick a whole bunch of them you wouldn't succed (just like nail beds).

Bed-of-Nails.jpg

Why the hell are they making racing less safe? Or is my logic betraying me?

So after watching a bit of Teds Notebook yesterday have found out that it 's the new torro roso steering wheel with a new FOM display called PCI-U (I think), I reckon it will be the same as the GP2,GP3 and r3.5 display.

The rules don't say the nose has to be pointy. The rules state that the nose must be lower, however most teams have used a pointy nose for better aerodynamics.

The reason for the lowered noses is to stop cars flying over the top of other cars (for example. Webber @ Valencia). A lower nose would have stopped Webber's car flying there.

"The cross section for the tip must be 9000mm2 which equates to a 97mm square or 107mm diameter circle. Albeit the actual shape is relatively free within these parameters."

Which for me tells the reason why the noses are pointy.

I do and it always baffled me just how primitive were those displays they used on the steering wheels. Put an LCD screen in there (even small one) and you can show the driver MUCH more information in a much clearer way.
They use displays like that in GT3 cars, so why the hell not in F1?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back