2014 Mod Announcement

Since there's probably no chance in hell that I'll take part in FSR, but certainly watch the races, I am giving my opinion purely as a fan.

DRS is a gimmick started in F1 to lure people to watch F1 who would have said it's boring because there was "no" overtaking otherwise.

As an F1 fan, a good battle that rages on for 30 laps, gives me much more satisfaction than an easy peasy DRS overtake after Eau Rouge. Also as a driver. I've had a Monaco race where me and another guy was never further than 3 seconds away from each other, yet the lead swopped 4 times due to pitstops, and by the end of the race our difference was 0.218 seconds. I remember that race much more fondly than any race where DRS was used.

Just my 2 cents.

When they get dnf 2 times, on the third one they will know how to battle and will know how to fight without contacts. That was the problem in the last few years mod, the damage model was too soft (or don't know how to explain it) and that allowed drivers to be more aggressive and forgot how to make a battle without those little pushing off the track or just touches. I had many battles last year, why with nobody I had a contact, because with those I was fighting I was safe to them and they to me, with no respect between eachother on the track or even with DRS you're gonna watch flying cars.

Now you are implying that your first statement is false (there are no contacts/crashes in wc with cars side by side), good.

I agree that damage was not punishing enough maybe, but the very first reason of why cars are battling so much is because the forgiveness of the draft model. If they can't drive so close, the number of kamikaze-moves will be logically reduced.

In my opinion DRS mostly destroys racing. In 20% of the cases it's fine, but otherwise it's terrible. For our purposes it's nonsense to use it, since we do more little mistakes than in F1, allowing much more opportunities for passing.

I'm thinking about some of the most intense and fun simracing scenarios:
10 laps to go, due to strategy difference there's leader (or any driver) on older tires and someone is catching him on fresher tires. From my perspective as a driver, this is what I enjoy a lot - defending the place or attacking with everything I got. And there's mostly 50:50 chance for overtake to happen, and you always get a great battle.
With DRS being allowed, the great moments are simply taken away. The attacker waits for a good moment without any risks, then presses the button and byebye. This is sad.

One more thing - we should of course edit the rF2 slipstream to some reasonable level, even if it makes it farther aways from 'realism'. Well, realism is very important, but having fun is even more; and if we don't move away from 'perfect realism' too much, there's no reason to stick with some less fun choice.

My 2 cents,

DRS should not be use, because of it drivers that are good in defense (Ricardo Patresse style) have no chance against attackers.
If you are really are faster than the one in front you will find a place to overtake, they did so since the beginning of Formula 1 until recently (and the recent years were boring as hell) and it'S not difference in most of motorsports racing.

We don't need something like that.

I find quite interesting that a lot of people is against DRS but then they want to use a dirty air that allows them to be 0.3-4 tenths behind another car all the time when that is highly unrealistic.

Dirty air is fine, at least in realistic terms, with the same compounds and pace you can keep a distance of 0.7-1.3 seconds which allows you to use DRS sometimes and if you use a faster compound you can reduce the distance to 0.5-1.1 seconds more or less.

Good decision!

While being bored and desperately waiting for the new season I've constantly been testing with the Formula ISI Masters mod (more than the Marussia one), and I'd say you made a good decision, it feels better than the Marussia.

Also, I'd be interested to know how the compounds are used? It's decided before each race which compounds are available (like IRL soft and super soft for Monaco, harder compounds for something else etc.) or will it always be the same (+ wet tires)?

Can we not make it where DRS is available to everyone the full length around the circuit? If not then I would say no to DRS and tweak the dirty air settings a bit.

anyways....we need a testteam to test there sort of things lets say 5 differant tracks and test dirty air and stuff not gonna say a mod is out this mod is fnal and no changes
we need to focus on whats right here and don,t make boring races like winter race because understeer is way way to heavy overtaking is impossable there

I think the dirty air effect is realistic. If you are faster you can stay close behind a car and if you don't want DRS than you have to adapt your setup.

It is like in 2010 where Red Bull had a super fast car, but as soon as they were in traffic it was useless, because they had a poor top speed. If you have to overtake, because of your starting position, you have to adapt your setup and reduce drag.

A good example was Hulkenberg in Korea last year. He had faster cars, which had DRS behind him and he still managed to defend, because of his top speed.

It is just something you have to keep in mind. Good solution is to put a bit more front wing on, so you have less trouble with understeer in the dirty air. I can't really understand all the problems here. If you want to drive F1 deal with the dirty air and harder overtaking or run a touring or GT car where you don't have such a big dirty air effect.

In real F1 everyone says with the tyres and everything there is no need for things like DRS and here you have nearly the same tyres, cars and dirty air (No KERS) and you are all complaining that overtaking is impossible :O_o:

DRS is a rule. Leagues should decide their rules, so have a vote on it. Use it, don't use it...it's just a rule.

Changing physics is an entirely different matter. You change the dirty air and then what? Now someone thinks the draft effect isn't big enough, so you have to argue about that. Then someone thinks the tires wear too fast. Where does it end?

I think you guys already know the answer from past experience. One would hope you've learned not to start down the road in the first place.

As an f1 fan nobody likes seeing a drs pass where the attacker breezes past and retakes the racing line..Most agree that is dumb. If implemented wisely though it should only allow the attacker to get with in striking distance only. Drs does have its place..bahrain 2010 and abu dabi 2010 spring to mind..they were yawn fests....the analogy of creating touring car style racing at 200 mph is funny and true and represents no top formula. .. dirty air with light aero rockets are a fact of life and a good challenge that all driver's should expect if its a simulator

Last edited:
I find quite interesting that a lot of people is against DRS but then they want to use a dirty air that allows them to be 0.3-4 tenths behind another car all the time when that is highly unrealistic.

Maybe they are too lazy for pressing a button :giggle:

Anyway If it was up to me, I would choose option A, people has to realise why in F1 are using DRS. But in my opinion what will give much overtake opportunities will be the tire degradation, no doubt.

The only reason DRS was introduced in F1 was because their regulation changes were not as effective as they wanted them to be. They wanted to allow cars to follow eachother closely and be able to overtake eachother without the help of any tool like DRS. Unfortunately that didn´t work out, and they gave up developing the technical regulations in that direction because it´s simply cheaper to use something like DRS. Now this isn´t an issue in Simracing. So we would have the chance to overcome this issue in Formula 1 and create the cars they intended to create in 2009.

if this understeer like this is not changed FSR really needs to scratch their head if we want 12 parade races

I really hope the people decide this make a adult vote and look at it
I can only say this understeer is way way too much
I don,t need DRS either but the understeer may come into play but not as heavy as this

We have plenty of time to decide what to do with the dirty air. It doesn't require a vote, it's a simple admin decision to tune two parameters (or not). There will not be any mod testing team as I said in post #1, bugs etc. will be reported to public here.

WC team owners will most likely decide what to do with DRS, as it's basically a rule as Matt said (and thus WC teams decide, like with every other rule).

How can this even be discussed, it's so obvious...
This isn't you driving right? If so I am not sure if you are on purpose driving like a novice (fast in, slow out) here just to make a point in this forum discussion.

Please re-enable epic-FSR-World-Champion-skills-mode that we have seen you doing in rF1 and shoot another video :thumbsup:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 376 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%