2014 Mod Announcement

I've tested it and it seems fairly accurate to me. If I'm on average a second quicker than the leading car then I can usually overtake on the front straight at Bahrain with DRS. Prior to DRS being used in F1 it was pretty well established that at many circuits a car could be 1 to 2 seconds quicker than the car ahead and it would be almost impossible to overtake.

"The car physics will be kept as is, with the exception of bug fixes..."

The fact that options are already being discussed for changing this makes me wonder what is to be considered a "bug."

What does this have to do with ''older F1 seasons''? DRS doesn't have much influence on dirty air I would think :D What are you trying to say? And a video from 2006 isn't helping either, since dirty air was reduced by rule changes in 2009.

Well as I see it, the options are

a) DRS + default (not realistic?) slipstream/dirty air
b) DRS + realistic slipstream/dirty air (tuned)
c) no DRS + realistic slipstream/dirty air (no overtaking possible except tracks like China)
d) no DRS + unrealistic slipstream/dirty air

Feel free to discuss it anyway. The WC teams will have decisision right regarding WC sporting rules, although this is both a technical and sporting decision, but it will be discussed in TOA.

For me it is absolutely vital to have overtaking and fighting in the races, and for that only option b and d work. Now the question is, what do we want to see ? Option B, go for realism, and have bullshit overtakes in desginated zones only? Or option D with overtaking and battles all over the track, not realistic, sure, but it makes it more exciting and fun and adds to the spectacle, in my opinion.

I think slipstream/dirty air has been fine the last few years in FSR. It wasn't very difficult to pass and it wasn't easy either, it created good fights and exciting races and I see no reason to change that.

Last edited:
What does this have to do with ''older F1 seasons''? DRS doesn't have much influence on dirty air I would think :D What are you trying to say? And a video from 2006 isn't helping either, since dirty air was reduced by rule changes in 2009.

I am trying to say that F1 cars do lose a lot of downforce behind another car, even more than in rF2. And for sure, A LOT more than in any recent FSR mod.

purely from a spectators perspective i think fsr is crying out for drs zones. Damage model aside in rf1, the risks and aggressive wheel to wheel driving that often ends in dissaster, ruins the show imo. Drivers am sure would be a little more patient knowing chances of a safe pass is more than possible and maybe the guys would be less inclined to to go for high risk manouvers. i think a realistic amount of dirty air with drs represents the sim better over both artificially weakened dirty air with artificially stronger slipstream

Last edited:
actually DRS Should be allowed on fast speed tracks, but not on slow speed tracks since you are not going to get benefit of having a good slipstream for more than 3 seconds

DRS is so horribly fake and artificial it's almost mind **** worthy. Totally pointless. Just tweak the dirty air effect.

Remember also, the tyres work differently in rF2 so you will get tyre wear and that alone will create overtakes when people can't get off corners in the same way. People will use the tyres differently and set the car up differently which will have a greater effect than they do currently in rF1.

Tyres will be the biggest difference in rF2 and 2014, not the dirty air effect.

I think DRS should be enabled only in Ace and WT. I haven't see any crashes or touches side by side in WC. Reducing the dirty air in the mod will back the opportunity for overtakes, no needed to count the many battles last year, Brazil, Nurburgring and etc. You want to leave dirty air like this in the mod and to add DRS, for what reason, to escape from side by side battles, to watch only similar overtakes every time in DRS zones on 1 or maximum 2 possible straights, that's **** and will kill the passion from the races.

I hope tyre scaling is not going to be like it was in early 2013 though cos that really did ruin the racing. In my opinion, I think it should be made like F1 in 2012 in fsr this year, where there are say 2 stops per race.

Also I may be stupid in saying this but will there be dynamic weather this year in FSR?

I think DRS should be enabled only in Ace and WT.

Finally, a constructive attempt at a solution.

IMO, the mod should stay as it is. Editing the mod will just fuel the fire for those conspiracy theorists. Not to mention, it will just allow the same kind of touring car styled nonsense driving which we have seen in the past. If you want touring car physics, then go and race in a touring car championship.

This is formula sim-racing, not formula arcade-racing. Stop complaining about how difficult it is or how difficult it may be, and just deal with it. Some of you are already trying to create scenarios which don't even exist.

Surely the worlds best sim racers can adapt to change? Surely they should be able to tackle the challenges head on rather than moan about them? Leave the mod as is, and keep it a level playing field for ALL.

You must be kidding.

When they get dnf 2 times, on the third one they will know how to battle and will know how to fight without contacts. That was the problem in the last few years mod, the damage model was too soft (or don't know how to explain it) and that allowed drivers to be more aggressive and forgot how to make a battle without those little pushing off the track or just touches. I had many battles last year, why with nobody I had a contact, because with those I was fighting I was safe to them and they to me, with no respect between eachother on the track or even with DRS you're gonna watch flying cars.

I completly agree that,

purely from a spectators perspective i think fsr is crying out for drs zones. Damage model aside in rf1, the risks and aggressive wheel to wheel driving that often ends in dissaster, ruins the show imo. Drivers am sure would be a little more patient knowing chances of a safe pass is more than possible and maybe the guys would be less inclined to to go for high risk manouvers. i think a realistic amount of dirty air with drs represents the sim better over both artificially weakened dirty air with artificially stronger slipstream

I preffer: a) DRS + default (not realistic?) slipstream/dirty air

I don't know how many of the people who says that is an unrealistic slipstream has driven a real racing openwheel car to make that afirmation.

I wanna believe that ISI, who have a lot of experience making simulators for real teams, have a better idea about what is more realistic or not. This last one is extrapolated to all other aspects of the mod.

I don't know if ISI has been recognized that it is unrealistic, if it is so I'll shut up.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 194 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 251 13.4%