2014 Formula One Australian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great qualy! Looking like it can be a interesting race tomorrow. While I'm a bit bummed to see the Red Bull performing this well (because it's likely to mean more Vettel wins) I am very happy to see Ricciardo perform as he did! Well done!

qualify sounds like a segway race

after the FIA has made things less attractive every season for the last 10 years
i think im at the point of saying goodbye to F1 ,,,and save the money it costs extra to watch on tv.

<snip>

boy do i NOT like this qualify of priuses

So you are saying more grip and less torque, make them easy to drive as long as they have huge noises. The way they are, right now is closest to what F1 cars should be. The Vettel era cars were like trains. Now you can see twitching, opposite lock, lockups, spin.. Last seasons: no mistakes, the cars looked like worst arcade racers ever.. What has FIA done in the last 10 years? Take away traction control, decrease grip constantly and now huge torque at low rev ranges (i'm not saying they are infallible, most rule changes have been too MILD, not too agressive. Both those appendix noses and stepped one were because of too weak regulation, not too strict..)..

In you opinion we should have traction control, sticky tires that last half the race, peaky torque curve, blown diffuser and high noses... If you now say that you are ready to drop F1, you never knew what F1 really is. Only thing that is missing is the huge noise.

The engines would sound okay if they had remembered not to fit a silencer to get through the MOT. Why on road cars can they fit bypass valves and tune exhausts so they sound epic but these just sound so civilised. My Mrs said they sound like Moto GP bikes onboard which i don't think that is too far off. Not impressed.

Tuning cars to make more noise has nothing to do with efficiency. If you tune your exhaust to produce more noise: you gain more noise only thru resonance. Resonance is the enemy of structural integrity. It also can affect the flow. Bypass valves = poor utilization of boost pressures, you are losing energy if you let some of that pass by.

im not saying anything more as i posted (races between cars,racers,teams)

all things you mention(driving help) ,i didnt ,,its from your thoughts and assumption

and YES ,i sat through qualify ,and hated the sound of the cars

maybe F1 should be run by FIFA ,because that organisation doesnt like to much changes

then let FIA do soccer and introduce all new stuff there (camera,4th referee,etc)

. If you now say that you are ready to drop F1, you never knew what F1 really is..

Well said Sir! This seasons cars look to be the closest to what i would consider proper F1 of days past. They may sound a bit weak, but they drive like F1 cars should. No more of this 'on rails' bollocks. Plenty of torque, less aero, squirming around all over the place. Real driver skill required.

This has the potential to be the best season for a couple of decades.

maybe F1 should be run by FIFA ,because that organisation doesnt like to much changes
Are you serious? This is the organisation that happily lets overpaid ponces overreact to any contact with another player, and then don't even allow the referee to look at replays. It took them forever to think that goal line technology was a good thing, they even tried bypassing it by putting extra officials on the pitch; did absolutely nothing. If the FIA kept the rules the same, Vet Bull would once again romp away to another title.

Yes people don't like change, but it is needed.

TL;DR SHUT UP ABOUT THE ENGINES AND CARS AND LOOK FORWARD TO THE RACING AND A NEW ORDER.

So you are saying more grip and less torque, make them easy to drive as long as they have huge noises. The way they are, right now is closest to what F1 cars should be. The Vettel era cars were like trains. Now you can see twitching, opposite lock, lockups, spin.. Last seasons: no mistakes, the cars looked like worst arcade racers ever.. What has FIA done in the last 10 years? Take away traction control, decrease grip constantly and now huge torque at low rev ranges (i'm not saying they are infallible, most rule changes have been too MILD, not too agressive. Both those appendix noses and stepped one were because of too weak regulation, not too strict..)..

In you opinion we should have traction control, sticky tires that last half the race, peaky torque curve, blown diffuser and high noses... If you now say that you are ready to drop F1, you never knew what F1 really is. Only thing that is missing is the huge noise.

Tuning cars to make more noise has nothing to do with efficiency. If you tune your exhaust to produce more noise: you gain more noise only thru resonance. Resonance is the enemy of structural integrity. It also can affect the flow. Bypass valves = poor utilization of boost pressures, you are losing energy if you let some of that pass by.

Its all very well on a technical standpoint, but when you go to a race the first thing that hits you as you walk through the gates is the sound you can feel it in your ribcage. Sadly that is no more. I have been following F1 for 30 years been to many races these do not sound like F1 cars they sound like any old V6 with a aftermarket turbo fitted.

I know they have to move with times but is there any point trying to fool everyone that F1 is a green sport, how much energy and CO has been used to get the cars and teams etc to Melbourne. Just wait until they are watching the fuel gauge all race that will be fun!

" but is there any point trying to fool everyone that F1 is a green sport "

Green in the sense that its all about the moneylaundry,,and races are the fake front they use to cover it.

Are you serious? This is the organisation that happily lets overpaid ponces overreact to any contact with another player, and then don't even allow the referee to look at replays. It took them forever to think that goal line technology was a good thing, they even tried bypassing it by putting extra officials on the pitch; did absolutely nothing. If the FIA kept the rules the same, Vet Bull would once again romp away to another title.

Yes people don't like change, but it is needed.

TL;DR SHUT UP ABOUT THE ENGINES AND CARS AND LOOK FORWARD TO THE RACING AND A NEW ORDER.
there is a big difference between annual rule changes ,,or destroying the sport every step for 10 years now with unnessacary Drastic measures.

Some of you guys are unbelievable with the (over the top) negative comments. :(

So far we've had one day of Practice and one Qualy session for the whole season. Haven't even had a Race yet. :rolleyes:
It would be nice if all the arm-chair experts just let the season develop, let the Teams develop the cars, and let the drivers settle into the new regulations, then maybe make some more meaningful comments. ;)

This obsession with the sound is really gettIng out of hand. If that's why you follow F1, then you don't really get F1.

It's about close racing, watching people driving close to the limit, guys being consistent for 305km and maximising what they can get out of the car, and the advancement of technology, as well as becoming more relevant to road cars.

Now we have cars sliding around again, with drivers making mistakes, and you don't like it? Really? Then F1 isn't the problem here.

I for one cannot wait to see these beasts in one on one battles, 2 cars going sideways out of a corner together. It's gonna be incredible.

How can anyone complain with F1 so far this season? That was the first time I was genuinely out of my seat at a qually session for well over a year. Daniel drove like a veteran, and it was great to see him have a cool head as Vettel struggled.

Also big ups to Magnessen and Kyvat, the youngsters putting the oldies to shame, great to see. Can't wait for tomorrow.

I fell asleep after it started raining in Q1. Qualifying in the rain isn't as exciting as races because it's all about getting the last lap in when the line is dry.

I am curious to see how early Lotus retires. What a disastrous start to the season.

I fell asleep after it started raining in Q1. Qualifying in the rain isn't as exciting as races because it's all about getting the last lap in when the line is dry.

I am curious to see how early Lotus retires. What a disastrous start to the season.

I'm betting formation lap. Maldonado will beach it, Grosjean will have a mechanical issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back