2014 Formula One Australian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
This had all four engines (got 4/8 from the quiz but that's not the main point, it just has all four in neat soundcloud format..) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mo...4-Do-you-know-your-cars-Name-that-engine.html

V10 are just insane but V6 easily holds it own. I'm pretty sure they need to make some decision in the production to raise live-sound levels all across the board. It's a large network of sound, it's measured and calibrated on V8s and there are guidelines to follow. With huge broadcasting and the network providing audio and video is MASSIVE, it's just not as easy as "just flick one fader up". The audio guys are not allowed to do that, you need to think about the whole picture, going as far as changing all microphones to suit the new demands. It just might be that with the current setup, the patterns pickup too much surrounding noises if you simply up the gain...There are million guidelines in order to keep everything consistent on hundreds of sources. My largest productions have been national broadcasts with couple of dozens of cameras and around triple that for sound sources.. The guidelines on that are pretty strict.The system on F1 broadcast is just absolutely mind boggling and the guidelines are to be taken literally no matter how stupid it may sound (pun intended)

So i'm afraid the first broadcast most likely will just be too quiet and it gets a redesign for the next race. And you can't do anything about it at home, there is also talking that is matched to the whole sound picture. IMHO, deal with the surround noises later if that's the reason for low levels... just up the gain (it's really frustrating to sit behind a sound desk and not been allowed to fix the issue, fadersurf if you must, it's more work and the end quality suffers but main priority in broadcasting is to get the information out, quality comes second....)
No question, the V10's will always be the best sounding engines, especially from onboards, but the new engines are there for a reason, and they still do sound good.

In my opinion I dislike the new turbo engine sounds, they take away the traditional screech of F1 what also is bad is the looks of the cars. They all look similar to the 2012 McLaren so it isn't really unique like last year or before.

However If all goes well then we could have another 2012 season after a very interesting Pre-Season test

Max Chilton got votes? He's more slower than HRT!

Another vote for Lewis ;) So 7-8h and it'll begin, hope it would be more exciting than last years! Even if from sound side it not overhelming i trust turbos gonna spin some emotions ;)
My tribute to incoming season, small liveries comparision (thnx to F1 modders!)

This had all four engines (got 4/8 from the quiz but that's not the main point, it just has all four in neat soundcloud format..) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mo...4-Do-you-know-your-cars-Name-that-engine.html

V10 are just insane but V6 easily holds it own. I'm pretty sure they need to make some decision in the production to raise live-sound levels all across the board. It's a large network of sound, it's measured and calibrated on V8s and there are guidelines to follow. With huge broadcasting and the network providing audio and video is MASSIVE, it's just not as easy as "just flick one fader up". The audio guys are not allowed to do that, you need to think about the whole picture, going as far as changing all microphones to suit the new demands. It just might be that with the current setup, the patterns pickup too much surrounding noises if you simply up the gain...There are million guidelines in order to keep everything consistent on hundreds of sources. My largest productions have been national broadcasts with couple of dozens of cameras and around triple that for sound sources.. The guidelines on that are pretty strict.The system on F1 broadcast is just absolutely mind boggling and the guidelines are to be taken literally no matter how stupid it may sound (pun intended)

So i'm afraid the first broadcast most likely will just be too quiet and it gets a redesign for the next race. And you can't do anything about it at home, there is also talking that is matched to the whole sound picture. IMHO, deal with the surround noises later if that's the reason for low levels... just up the gain (it's really frustrating to sit behind a sound desk and not been allowed to fix the issue, fadersurf if you must, it's more work and the end quality suffers but main priority in broadcasting is to get the information out, quality comes second....)

6/8, got the V10 and V12 mixed up, those where pretty close in sound in my ears. But yeah, the V6 holds its own no doubt, sounds good to me. :)

Buttons onboards sound very nice, am liking the whistles, popping and rasp but as brundle says it cud do with being a bit louder. Am struggling to tell when they are shifting from some track cams, particular the final turn. Am loving the hustling at the wheel and mistakes under braking.

It's raining and Kamui could possibly get into Q2 as it stands... :roflmao:

EDIT: Annnnd Kamui will be in Q2 with Caterham, never thought I'd see that happen this season

Last edited:
qualify sounds like a segway race

after the FIA has made things less attractive every season for the last 10 years
i think im at the point of saying goodbye to F1 ,,,and save the money it costs extra to watch on tv.
i sincerely hope for a NEW F1 league ,ran by others as FIA
and no interference by organisation ,,the racing should be between the teams and drivers
and the organisation is just there to provide the structure and enforce rules

but they shouldnt make themself more important as the race and racers and teams
the role of the organisation should be a serving one.

boy do i NOT like this qualify of priuses

i wish the teams would get together and organise their own leage ,and not involve FIA

WUUT WUUT RICCIARDO BEAT VETTEL!

AVERAGE

told u

learn it, spell it say it

let me quote him

"YES YES YES AND YES AGAIN"

beaten by a rookie... TOP LEL

----sad for Kimi, he did look out of place this weekend on his Ferrari.

The engines would sound okay if they had remembered not to fit a silencer to get through the MOT. Why on road cars can they fit bypass valves and tune exhausts so they sound epic but these just sound so civilised. My Mrs said they sound like Moto GP bikes onboard which i don't think that is too far off. Not impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 346 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 239 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 238 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%