2014 F1 Mercedes-Benz V6: A lap of Monza

RaceDepartment

Administrator
Staff
Mercedes AMG Petronas uploaded a video demonstrating the song to their new new V6 powerhouse.

Next season will see the transition from 18,000 rpm 2.4 litre V8s to 15,000 rpm 1.6 litre turbocharged V6s.

The clip below was recorded using a development engine at the Mercedes High Performance Powertrains (HPP) facility, on a dyno rig, in Brixworth UK.

As well as the changes in regulations regarding the size of the engines, engineers were also tasked with improving the fuel efficiency of the units. Mercedes explained that there must be a 30% increase in efficiency, in order to complete a 300km race on 100kg of fuel.

Along with the engine alterations, the Kinetic Energy Recovery System system will also be changed. It will be swapped out for an Energy Recovery System, which is more efficient and delivers significantly more power than the current KERS.

ERS will recover energy from the exhaust turbine and rear axle, and will be able to deliver that harvested energy back into the same parts. KERS harvests energy from the brakes.

The expected BHP increase during the boost activation is expected to be around 120bhp, as opposed to the current 80bhp.

The changes to V6 power are no surprise. Many other motorsport disciplines have become more and more efficient over time, such as the change to smaller engined WRC cars and the use of hybrid systems in the WEC.

Also check out this clip of Renault's 2014 engine, Energy F1.

[youtube]

Image: Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains
View the Post on the Blog

Last edited by a moderator:
It's frustrating that I submitted this article days ago but they didn't publish it, now someone else writes it and then they publish it? :cautious:

From the news submission guidelines: "Article content must be motorsports, sim racing, or hardware related and include at least 250 words and an image or video and written in English."

Your article was exactly 50 words and not classified as an article hence it was not published.

If you want to complain, at least do it on the right grounds.

2 cents,

If someone makes a thread about something, discussion is sparked on that subject, then one day later an article comes out on the same subject so what you have is two articles with discussions about exactly the same thing.

example,
3IGYHtc.jpg

The effect of this (for me at least) is to simply stop posting threads on various news because one day (in this case the day after) an article will pop up on the exact same subject.

If you look at the first page on the formula 1 section you´ll notice that all threads made by members are:

2014 movers and shakers
Roscoe Hamilton´s dog
improved version of the renault eng...
Super Vettel kart
F1 Videos thread
F1 quiz

None are about any particular news because people probably expect an article to pop up after they have made their own thread.

It would also be great to open a thread for SPA, there´s plenty to talk about for the upcoming race.

That´s another thing i miss, we used to take turns making the race thread, it was a lot of fun as you could include onboard lap of last pole position, maybe a snippet on the history and some artwork.
And we would make one right after the current race ended. Good times.

Now it´s taken from FIA.com (and for Hungary, some are taken from Marussia) (with some added own words)

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
@Hampus Andersson then why not submit your own article? As long as its originally written we always post it.

Copy/pasting copyrighted material from other websites on forums what some people tend to do however is not writing and a particular website has made objections against that for a very valid reason as they were completely right.

Bottomline: same as with modding in simracing, go and create content whether thats on the forum or for the site that doens't matter.

@Hampus Andersson then why not submit your own article? As long as its originally written we always post it.
Well first of all i don´t think i would want to use 250 words other then the fact that you have to.
Sometimes 100 or less will do just fine. And why does it have to be articles? What happened to regular threads?
(you can still do regular threads but it´s pointless if an article comes the day after or a week later)

I think you said to me most of the comments made in the articles actually come from the news section.
Why not just keep the articles there and let everyone who wants to read all these articles go there (as seems to be the case if nearly all comments originates from the news section)

That way you have a regular forum with regular threads, and a news site with regular articles,
I also posted an image here once in an article then got a PM saying it´s too big on the news section so know i have to take into account a news section that i don´t read when posting images.

The motorsports section is the same, i can barely find anything in there anymore.

Just my 2 cents, ignore if you want.

I think a lot of people would probably disagree with my opinion but i think there´s probably some that agree but don´t want to make a fuss about it and stay silent instead. I don´t know.

At the end of the day it´s just an opinion, i´ve been here since 08 so i´ve seen all the changes for the last 5 years.
Probably 1 more year of purely reading before i made an account.

Well first of all i don´t think i would want to use 250 words other then the fact that you have to.
Sometimes 100 or less will do just fine. And why does it have to be articles? What happened to regular threads?
(you can still do regular threads but it´s pointless if an article comes the day after or a week later)

I think you said to me most of the comments made in the articles actually come from the news section.
Why not just keep the articles there and let everyone who wants to read all these articles go there (as seems to be the case if nearly all comments originates from the news section)

That way you have a regular forum with regular threads, and a news site with regular articles,
I also posted an image here once in an article then got a PM saying it´s too big on the news section so know i have to take into account a news section that i don´t read when posting images.

The motorsports section is the same, i can barely find anything in there anymore.

Just my 2 cents, ignore if you want.

I think a lot of people would probably disagree with my opinion but i think there´s probably some that agree but don´t want to make a fuss about it and stay silent instead. I don´t know.

At the end of the day it´s just an opinion, i´ve been here since 08 so i´ve seen all the changes for the last 5 years.
Probably 1 more year of purely reading before i made an account.
If you have criticism you'd like to share, post it here:
http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/forums/support-feedback.166/

These articles are posted to the respective forums by default Articles for the front page must be articles, as the front page is not part of the forum. It's the news section of the site, as dictated by the button you press to get there. The lack of normal threads in the F1 and Motorsports forums are not a result of the news posts. News isn't always what sparks discussion, and if it is, then the articles' threads in the forum would be more active than they are.

Currently it is difficult to publish articles quickly enough, as clearly other outlets are faster given their size. We're still trying to reorganize the website, as you may have noticed, and it's taking somewhat of a toll on the speed of operations.

If you have a response to my reply, please post it in the support forum as to keep this thread on topic.

If you have criticism you'd like to share, post it here:
http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/forums/support-feedback.166/

These articles are posted to the respective forums by default Articles for the front page must be articles, as the front page is not part of the forum. It's the news section of the site, as dictated by the button you press to get there. The lack of normal threads in the F1 and Motorsports forums are not a result of the news posts. News isn't always what sparks discussion, and if it is, then the articles' threads in the forum would be more active than they are.

Currently it is difficult to publish articles quickly enough, as clearly other outlets are faster given their size. We're still trying to reorganize the website, as you may have noticed, and it's taking somewhat of a toll on the speed of operations.

If you have a response to my reply, please post it in the support forum as to keep this thread on topic.
It´s ok, i´ve said everything i wanted to say and it´s there for everyone to read if they wish.

Such a load of crap all these regulations, energy saving regulations...
Saving not even 1000 liters of gasoline per season per car.
Costing many 100's of millions extra investement in technology.
While teams get from track to track all over the globe, by airplanes, huge trucks and boats.
Millions of spectators who are coming by car or even by plane to see the races.

Couldn't agree more @Richard Hessels this whole green racing mania that took off a couple of years ago makes no sense at all as long as the series are globally organized and teams burn more fuel with a single airplane flight than the entire F1 circus combined in a year.

Couldn't agree more @Richard Hessels this whole green racing mania that took off a couple of years ago makes no sense at all as long as the series are globally organized and teams burn more fuel with a single airplane flight than the entire F1 circus combined in a year.
As much as I love Formula One, I'm really hoping it will fail miserably and have huge fan dropoffs next season, maybe then they'll revert all of the regulations back to the way they were in 2008 just to get people interested again. I wish they just left it alone, if it isn't broken don't try to fix it.

New regulations have come all the time through history, people get upset then they defend the same regs they hated when the new regs come in.

Because the smaller teams finally adjusted to the new regulations and they can start all over again... For the big teams with huge amounts of factory backed funding it's less of a problem. By the time the small teams are closing the gap... new regulations arise.
They can start all over again...

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 274 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing