2014 Catherham CT03

Well, it's not not-aerodynamic ;) It's not beautiful and most likely not efficient either. But it does allow the largest possible amount of unobstructed air coming in for the floor/sidepods. Most likely the efficient design is a lot more streamlined and doesn't contain large planes that just shout "surface drag". Wouldn't be surprised if some other team would start to carve similar but more elegant shapes, as it is air after frontwing, it might even not be that big a deal for the rest of the aero to work.

So this is the challenger Kobayashi will be driving this year.. :O_o:

Well I'm hoping they've at least got a somewhat fast car so Kamui can do some overtakes in or else I'll be weeping seeing him at the back of the pack :(

I'm pretty sure that the aggressive wedge shape is essential, it literally splits the air. Shaping the "appendix" differently, could cause disturbances to otherwise completely clean undisturbed air. They have, in theory, the largest volume of clean air to direct elsewhere in all of the grid.. I wouldn't like to know the drag coefficients on that shape but F1 cars are closer to 1960s muscle cars when it comes to total drag.. But that certainly is one part of the car where drag is almost completely harmful, ie the device doesn't cause negative lift at the same time.. This shape just screams "drag" but the total effect just might be beneficial. Note, i'm being extremely nice towards Caterham, it is very refreshing to see something different on this part of the paddock, compared to Marussia which took ultra conservative approach. But there we have a good measuring device, Marussia conservative and safe, Caterham, innovative, but very risky.

The overall look is like they took the rulebook, draw straight lines to maximum/minimum dimensions and everything that could be taken off, is gone.. Don't know how heavy that thing is thou, it might be the actual reason why others have closed this part of the chassis. On first look my honest opinion was: "lol.. hmm... interesting.. that might actually work..."

Then again, how much are you gonna run in the clean air if you want to get close and catch the midpack... And that's my only defense on this design. Turbulent wake, things are very very different. This most likely works beautifully in the air tunnel and simulations.

Double post.. Just noticed those sidepods.. They aren't cut at all!.. It's been ages when we last saw those kinds of pods, they must've had last moment "hey, we left the intercooler out" and repack after which the aerodynamist took his trusted whiskey bottle and drank half of it in one go.. The sole reason to use such an aggressive splitter is to direct the air towards the rear, now it hits floor, the underside of the pods, channels outwards and is thrown out beyond the dimensions of the car. I don't get the purpose anymore, 0% of that air is hitting the diffuser, it's good, clean air and it's thrown out. There is large turbulent and draggy wake after the front tire, the nose blows air in to that area. But the rear tire hits again. If it's not the large vortex generator, it hits the lower part of that column of air.. aargh, idk, i give up, i't s horrible.

I think its not a bad idea, to make the sidepods that big, to not have problems with overheating and focus working on other, more important, areas on the car. I am really curious how the CT05 will perform in this season.

cat.jpg

Interesting colour change. I wonder if It'll work?

• Deleted member 161052

Now the easter island head is gone :D

There are reports that cars were flown to Germany (probably Kolles factory in Ingolstadt) instead of Leafeld in Britain. Which basically means the end of the Caterham team in their current form.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back