2013 Testing Master Thread

Everything you need to know for F1 Testing!

Day 1, the woes & the wows

F1 Day 1 at Jerez

Top 3 Quickest
Jenson Button set the fastest time with 30 minutes left of testing left for the session, leaving Mark Webber in 2nd & Romain Grosjean in 3rd who has said the Lotus has exceeded his expectations

Sauber good as it's predecessor.
Nico Hulkenberg believes that Sauber's new Formula 1 car has maintained the high-speed strengths of its predecessor.
The German had his first experience of the new C32 at Jerez on Tuesday, and said that first impressions had been encouraging.
"It has been a positive day to be honest," said Hulkenberg, who ended the day seventh overall.

Mclaren woes
Mclaren has Fuel Pump issues which leaves Martin Whitmarsh Frustrated, this same issue struck Lewish Hamilton in Abu Dhabi

he was quoted
"In a bid to rectify the problem McLaren opted for a brand new design and pump on this year's MP4-28, only for it to fail after just three installation laps.
"Unfortunately it was a fuel pump failure, the same as we had in Abu Dhabi," Whitmarsh confirmed.
"It was frustrating but it's what tests are for."

Caterham Still has some work to do
Caterhams new driver Giedo van der Garde beleives that the team still has some work to do, as he feels the rear grip is not quite there yet, He completed 64 laps in the new car, lapping 3.054 seconds off pacesetter Mark Webber's Red Bull..

Pirelli Tyres in doubt
According to Mark Webber he says the 2013 generation tyres are not clear yet,Pirelli said the new tyres would be around half a second per lap quicker than the 2012 compounds. But Webber thinks the improvements in car design over the last 12 months accounts for the gain.

“I don’t know if it’s faster,” Webber told media after the first day of running. “Obviously the lap times are quick but the regulations haven’t changed too much.”

DAY 1 in Pictures

MG_5045-886x590.jpg

MG_5073-886x590.jpg

MG_5086-886x590.jpg

MG_5104-886x590.jpg

MG_5124-590x886.jpg

MG_5134-886x590.jpg

MG_5150-886x590.jpg

MG_5160-886x590.jpg

MG_5221-886x590.jpg

MG_5233-886x590.jpg

saub-hulk-jere-20131-886x498.jpg

I still think that the Sauber livery is one of the best looking in some time.

Also, Massa said that the F138 is 'on a completely different planet' than the F2012 last year. Good news to hear, hopefully Ferrari can be more competitive right out of the gate and won't have to spend the first half of the season catching up. I know that the first day of testing doesn't really mean anything for how the season will play out, but just to see that it handles much better right from the start is good news.
Link to article - ESPNF1

Great job Scott Webber

Obviously its early days but the signs are promising for Ferrari. Lets hope they have got a quick car for Australia.. and Mclaren starting 2013 just like last year. Lets hope they can fix that fuel pump problem and develop a reliable car :)

Lewis binned it during the 09' testing in Jerez, a 'sudden gust of wind' was blamed. Maybe its just how Lewis does his 'thang.

Interesting words from Gary Anderson -

"I've been out on the track watching the cars and the Lotus continues to look very impressive. The front end is always there, the traction is good and Romain Grosjean is able to be committed on the throttle. Sergio Perez was on a long run in the McLaren and he was very consistent. It also looks pretty good. The Toro Rosso has lost its edge from yesterday - now the rear is moving too much, which was always their problem last year. Red Bull I believe are concentrating on reliability before some upgrades but at the moment it looks like a one-line car - if the driver misses the turn-in, it's hard to get the nose back on line. The Ferrari looks OK, but its tyres are going off more quickly than some others - and it's not always riding the bumps as well as the best."

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 204 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 262 13.6%