2013 Infiniti Red Bull RB9 Renault

F-duct a tube running through the car to shed some drag i find hard to see how its more innovative then taking your exhausts and placing them at either side of the diffuser which gave so much more downforce it became one of the most dominant cars in the history of Formula 1.

Double DRS, Mercedes who came up with it actually had the most useless version of them all.
The most efficient one seems to have been....yep....Red Bull.

KERS was a FIA regulation change.

So essentially what you are saying is extra tubes in the car is more innovative then what has been previously mentioned.

IMO exhaust-blown diffusers, high rake, pullrods and strange engine maps is not really innovations. It's been done on racecars for many years. But of course Red Bull was the team that thought of these solutions and made it work well on a modern F1 car so all credit to them for a great job.

But I think with the current regulations, the biggest innovations in F1 is about finding loopholes in the rulebook. If the regulations were more free, I think we could get some genuine innovations. There are some exceptions though and I really liked the J-damper, seamless shift and the way the transaxle evolved from titanium casing into a slender and compact cf construction. Have to say I'm looking forward to next season when we finally get some engine development.

They are innovations in the modern day.

"Innovation is the development of new values through solutions that meet new needs, inarticulate needs, or old customer and market needs in value adding new ways."

I think you think about "inventions" which is more in line of coming up with something completely new.

RBR and Sauber´s small duct,

BDBLXTFCUAEnr_K.jpg:large

BDdhzbmCAAA7HBS.jpg

0472553.jpg

so is this small "duct" a cooling opening or a clever device, cuz Ferraris has a bit more wide and larger.

I dont see one on the Mclaren, unless is all that chrome hiding it.

Red Bull use it for an aero purpose, Ferrari most likely to simply cool the driver since Felipe complained about the heat in the cockpit and the fact that they don´t have a slit on the top of the cockpit.

The Red Bull thing is a Sauber innovation, as is their exhaust philosophy.

wel Rb does need a bit of extra straight line speed since the car downforce itself stresses the engine with all the downforce.

However, with this years DRS limit on Ps and Qs and Races to only DRS zones, It might help them out a bit, but it only activates once reached a certain speed, wonder what KMhs would it be for it to be activated it.

well :D i thought he speaks about those tiny letters inside the nose :D

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back