2013 Formula One Monaco Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rosberg beating the supposedly best qualifier on the grid three times in a row - I'm sensing a pattern here.
I don´t think it´s that clear cut.

If you were to strap in Nico in last years Mclaren i doubt he would be able to do the same because the cars are setup completely different.

Mclaren very front end oriented car with the rear a little bit looser and at Mercedes it´s the other way around, very solid rear end.
If you run one set for years you´ll start to get very good at it.

One example is the downshifting. Lewis has never in his career downshifted like that.
It´s not easy jumping from car to car. It takes time to really get in the groove.
Especially when your teammate has run the same car for three years with the same DNA and is not exactly a slouch over a lap.

With that said, not taking anything away from Nico but i don´t think it´s that clear cut.
It just looks worse with the fact that they are chasing poles.

Looking at the stats it looks like this,

Average qualifying position
HAM - 2.66
ROS - 3.16

Team mate comparison (average) Up to Spain so with Nico´s Monaco gap of 0.091 to Hamilton the number below should be a tiny bit smaller.

HAM -0.189s

I don´t think it´s that clear cut.

If you were to strap in Nico in last years Mclaren i doubt he would be able to do the same because the cars are setup completely different.

Mclaren very front end oriented car with the rear a little bit looser and at Mercedes it´s the other way around, very solid rear end.
If you run one set for years you´ll start to get very good at it.

With that said, not taking anything away from Nico but i don´t think it´s that clear cut.
It just looks worse with the fact that they are chasing poles.

Looking at the stats it looks like this,

HAM - 2.66
ROS - 3.16

Team mate comparison (average) Up to Spain so with Nico´s Monaco gap of 0.091 to Hamilton the number below should be a tiny bit smaller.

HAM -0.189s

But you need to remember that in Malaysia Lewis was 0.8 secs faster than Nico because of the changing conditions, it would've been much closer otherwise.

I just believe Hamilton has been hyped up far too much, he is very good but not as good as Raikkonen, Vettel and Alonso.

But you need to remember that in Malaysia Lewis was 0.8 secs faster than Nico because of the changing conditions, it would've been much closer otherwise.

I just believe Hamilton has been hyped up far too much, he is very good but not as good as Raikkonen, Vettel and Alonso.
What!
Hamilton was kind of beating Alonso in 2007 and they were team mates, not to mention Hamilton was a rookie that year.....
Hamilton is by far not an over hyped driver, on the other hand Rosberg is by far an underrated driver and is finally getting some recognition.

What!
Hamilton was kind of beating Alonso in 2007 and they were team mates, not to mention Hamilton was a rookie that year.....
Hamilton is by far not an over hyped driver, on the other hand Rosberg is by far an underrated driver and is finally getting some recognition.

People regularly call him the 'fastest man in F1' yet has been outqualified 3 times in a row by his teammate. Schumacher beat Rosberg regularly in Quali last year so I wonder what he would do to Hamilton this year.

Ok so Hamilton drove in the dry and Rosberg was the only guy running in changing conditions?
Both ran in changing conditions in Australia as well, and to some extent Monaco too.

People get locked into the fact that Rosberg has taken three poles (which is amazing of course) but if you really break it down, up to this point, Hamilton has been the faster man on average in Qualifying.

People regularly call him the 'fastest man in F1' yet has been outqualified 3 times in a row by his teammate. Schumacher beat Rosberg regularly in Quali last year so I wonder what he would do to Hamilton this year.
And they don´t call him that because they all just made it up.
You have for example F1´s main driver coach who´s trained nearly every driver on the grid saying that Kimi and Hamilton are the two fastest guys in F1 today.
Kimi over a race distance and Hamilton over one lap.
Funny you mention Schumacher.

Average Q time between them last year was Schumi -0.192s
Quite similar to Hamilton up to this point.
But Rosberg had a slightly higher qualifying position 9.4 vs Schumi´s 9.65

HAM - 2.66
ROS - 3.16

HAM -0.189s

"Schumacher beat Rosberg regularly in Quali last year"
10-10 was the score at the end of the season... atleast look up the numbers before talking nonsense.

Sector times from Monaco.

1. 19.343 - Rosberg
  2. 19.402 - Vettel
  3. 19.457 - Webber
  4. 19.580 - Hamilton +0.237s
  5. 19.600 - Raikkonen
  1. 34.295 - Hamilton
  2. 34.370 - Vettel
  3. 34.407 - Rosberg +0.112s
  4. 34.483 - Webber
  5. 34.746 - Raikkonen
  1. 20.092 - Hamilton
  2. 20.124 - Rosberg +0.032s
  3. 20.192 - Webber
  4. 20.202 - Vettel
  5. 20.207 - Alonso
Either Rosberg messed up last two sectors or Hamilton messed up first sector, take your pick.

-
Whoever is second into T1 will play supporting role.
Maybe this is the time for Hamilton to pay back his dues to Rosberg?

10-10 was the score at the end of the season... atleast look up the numbers before talking nonsense.

I would call 1/2 times regular ;)

so what makes you say he's not as good as them 3? really interested to see how you formed that opinion :p

As you said,it's an opinion. They're in different cars so it's hard to tell and I do feel Hamilton has the pace to keep up with them but I don't think he can do it as consistently as them.

Seems the main issue for Hamilton when moving to Mercedes is the braking.

"Particularly in the last couple (of races) I did pretty poor," Hamilton said. "It's been like (this) since the first race. Even winter testing I was struggling."

"The set up I have on the car, in terms of brake, cylinders, is a lot different obviously to what I experienced before where I was very, very comfortable. I'd been used to it and it was always the same," he said. "I had 100 percent confidence in the car (at McLaren), particularly this track where you need 100 percent confidence in the car."
Hamilton adds that his confidence has been slightly affected, such as being unsure of when to brake, and that he still can't get enough temperature in the tyres. Mercedes' shortcomings have been exposed in races, and what the car has in speed it lacks in durability.

"I've been very fortunate to have had lots of experiences in the past, obviously when I was with Fernando, with Jenson," Hamilton said. "I've had plenty of times where I was out-qualified. It doesn't make me doubt my abilities or anything like that, just got to work harder."

Rosberg has a best of fourth place this season at the Malaysian GP, so getting ahead of Hamilton in qualifying almost feels like a victory in itself.
"I know that Lewis is one of the best out there, so it was going to be a massive challenge to beat him around here," Rosberg said. "That's why I'm all the more happy I just managed to edge him out."

It is really just the uncertainty of what the brakes are going to do

Braking is one of his strong points as can be seen quite a lot in GP2 Turkey race.

Also remember either on this forum or another from a person who went to the Brazilian GP and sat at T4 and said Lewis was simply mighty on the brakes there.

Well, Schumacher out-qualified Rosberg 3-2 in last year's first six races ( Schumacher never set a Q3 time in Spain so can't be counted).
So what?

It´s already been established that Hamilton on average is quicker in the Mercedes (so far)
And have higher grid position average then Rosberg.
The thing is you are focused on the fact that it´s been a fight with poles.

I bet if Alonso and Massa fought for poles the time when Massa outqualified Alonso 3 or 4 times in a row you would have used the same logic (or lack of) in your argument.

Your posts either contradicts themselves or the very same words have totally different meaning depending on who we are discussing.
And the occasional "but it was changing conditions!" like it wasn´t equal terms for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back