2013 Formula One Canadian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read that there were several safety regulations being violated when the accident occurred. The main one being that the marshal should not have been the one holding the car level in the first place(a stabilizing strap should've been used in this case) and even then, it would've made more sense for them to just return the car on a flatbed.

wouldnt it be an idea to have more safetycars during f1 races so that marshalls can clear up the debris with a bit more time instead of rushing!!!

RIP to the marshal, thoughts and prayers go out to his family

Was it just me or was that the most boring Canadian GP in a while?

About the only thing I found interesting about it was Alonso picking his way up from 5th to 2nd. Otherwise it was a total non-event for me.

Oh shiiii....I just read about the marshal. This is indeed sad, appears to have been a tragical series of calamitous circumstances.

Tom

wouldnt it be an idea to have more safetycars during f1 races so that marshalls can clear up the debris with a bit more time instead of rushing!!!

RIP to the marshal, thoughts and prayers go out to his family
This incident occured after the race had finished, right around the time the podium celebrations were taking place to be exact. The group of marshals were moving the car from where they had left it after it was removed from the side of the track back to the pitlane.

I don't think its that neccesary for a safety car to remove the car in the instant, double yellows were being flown and the drivers are told over the radio whats going on by their teams so the marshals don't need to rush at all, their responsibility is to clear the track and make it safe. It wasn't a big accident so its not needed really.

This is seconds before the accident. Think it´s the guy holding the right rear tire.

BMWYZxTCcAA0PzR.jpg:large

^^ Rear wing vortices, not on top of front tires...

The accident was unfortunate but these things happen everyday at constructions sites etc. It's a simple accident. Allthou i enjoy a lot of good from H&S (= health&safety, in showbusiness stricter H&S has saved lives and i approve them, even when it makes the job a bit harder..) But there's a limit of what you can think can happen. Too strict H&S on the other hand is counter productive, i doubt there very much you can do for this type of accident. There are millions of people working right now beside heavy machines that can shred you to pieces in seconds if you trip at the wrong moment.. If you read the H&S regulations here, you can't step on a ladder that's more than 1m from the ground without safety harness... that's just stupid, mostly impossible to do and no one follows that rule, and it starts to ripple and soon no one knows what rule is actually good and what is made by someone in an airconditioned office looking at statistics. Of course, in F1 there are more actual racers who make the rules so they do know what they are doing.

For this incident, a lot of things had to happen in the right/wrong time and order, guy drops his radio, trips while retrieving it, the tractor driver happened to look at the other side etc etc. These kinds of accidents are unavoidable, of course there are lot of important people thinking what they can do about this but no matter what they do, you can factor in the unknown..

After reading what happened this seems like an accident that couldn't be avoided. Pure bad luck, very very very bad luck for the marshal ;(

As much as this race was totally boring for Vettel, I'm very impressed with the performance of the Ferrari's this weekend. The car has taken a definite step forward. Both Fernando and Felipe did a superb job of racing and passing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 172 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 337 28.2%