2013 Engine format confirmed

Making F1 look "greener" will not make any difference to anybody, people watch F1 for the racing and experience, not for life lessons on fuel economy. All poor initiatives like this will do is make it less fun as a whole.

12000 RPM....

A lot of things didn't get me saying "They are ruining the sport", but now they really are. They should go back to the 70's 80's rules where we see V6 turbos, V8s, V10 and V12's. That is what I want to see. I dont like the V8 sound, I miss the V10s, don't even want to imagine what this will sound like, lawnmower racing? Might just as well go diesel too....

Just give the teams a 75l fuel tank, and let them make an engine which can run a race on that amount of fuel. Will be far more interesting than seeing the highest motorsport move to honda civic engines...

These engines will be producing the same power figures as the current V8s. I see no reason to throw up my arms and say F1 is dead.
12000 RPM....

A lot of things didn't get me saying "They are ruining the sport", but now they really are. They should go back to the 70's 80's rules where we see V6 turbos, V8s, V10 and V12's.

In the 70s and 80s, engines rarely went above 12000rpm, and they still managed to sound great and go fast.

And all over the internet people seem to be forgetting about the 1986 BMW 4-cylinder turbo... :tongue:

Yes, but those were 'unlimited', if they make my rule with the fueltank, F1 can make new technologies which can be applied on roadcars aswell (ABS, Carbon etc etc)

Now all they do is limit the engines (again) so they can put a 'green' stamp on F1, without it actually doing any good for the climate.

I can't believe this. You can't go green on racing series. RANDOMLY. I mean, who does with the whole heart that we got global warning? None... Then why?

BMW could just dust off their old 1200BHP M12 monster from 1986 and modernize it. The F1 turbo cars sounded like a 747 passing by, not a car :D

edit: couldnt find a good video of an old BWM, but the Renault Turbos sounds about as good and that is on very low settings. The engine is probably running very low boost and low RPMs so they wouldnt have to rebuild it afterwards

Those turbo motors from the 80's had to be rebuilt every 12 laps when they were in qualifying trim (1400+ HP). Since reliability and cost savings are a key priority here I kind of doubt they'll produce more than 500 BHP. Keep in mind the performance is said to be on par with that of modern F1 through the additional use of KERS. In 2013 it will be possible to own a street legal vehicle that has a stock engine that can out rev an f1 engine and probably produce more naturally aspirated horsepower per liter as well. This is a joke. If they wanted to go green why didn't they just wait a few more years and adopt fully electric cars.

Modern turbos are very durable and reliable, so together with a modest 10,000RPM rev limit at 650HP, they should be able to run harder for longer than the current engines.

When they announced the intention to change the engines, I expected V6's. For something that is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport, I would have expected more than a 4-pot

I am no engine expert so I wonder does the V6 engine have a longer life then the V8? If the answer is a yes then I wonder what they are thinking by keeping the V8's. If the answer is a not then I think we all got our-self an answer to why they keep the V8's.

Georgios, they are keeping the V8s until 2013 simply because that's what they started with. It wouldn't make much sense for them to change the engine regulations willy-nilly when they have costs to keep track of, plus it gives engine manufacturers more time to prepare for the upcoming regulations. And if a V6 has a longer engine life than a V8, then if they were implemented in F1 the 8-engines-a-year rule would become nearly obsolete...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back