2012 Williams FW34

New Williams to debut at Jerez test

2011-williams-fw33-china-maldonado-01.jpg

Williams will unveil their 2012 car, the FW34, at the first pre-season test. The four-day session will get underway at Spain's Jerez circuit on February 7.

The British team endured their worst-ever campaign in 2011, scoring just five points and finishing ninth in the standings. They are targeting a return to form this year with a new engine, courtesy of Renault, and a revised technical team.

In 2012, the FW34 will be raced by Venezuela’s Pastor Maldonando and Bruno Senna, who replaces fellow Brazilian Ruben Barrichello in the team's line-up.

Forumla1.com

Same gearbox :) I think the problem is that it´s to wide just after sidepods towards the rear.
If you compare it to the RBR it has very wide sidepods but they shrink drastically which leaves a lot of space between the rear wheel and centerline.

Then there have been talks about if it´s really such a good idea to let the airflow from each side meet at the end instead of making it two paths of airflow until the rear wing.

Cool nonetheless.

Not a bad Jerez test for Williams, who unlike last year when Rubens Baricello topped the timing sheets didnt go chasing glory times, on Friday Bruno Senna completed about 125 laps including a full race sim in which he set his and Williams fastest time of the week, on the final day only about half a second seperated the car in 2nd to the car in 8th so apart from Ferrari's glory run the cars were pretty even, this has to be a better year for Williams after a terrible year last season but how much better remains to be seen, I am confident that at the least, they will rejoin the midfield battle with Torro Rosso, Sauber, Force India and maybe Caterham will join in as well. Frank said he feels like this is a new begining for his team after the wholesale changes that have been made so to see Williams start on an upward curve again would be great, I cant wait for the season to start.

About the rear end of FW34 I love the side on profile of it and the curve of the engine cover if you look at it without the fin, the Renault engine allows a much tighter package as well it's not as bulky as the Cosworth.

The FW34 showed some potential today in qualifying and in testing the race sim pace was very good so I am hoping for a good race from Pastor and Bruno, the new front wing appears to be working really well which makes a nice change from the Sam Michael years where bits where thrown at the cars with no noticable gains, where are the silly people who said Williams would be at the back fighting with Caterham, they dont appear to have closed the gap to the midfield at all.

I think i´m half guilty as i did not believe Williams to do that good. But i can´t say i expected Caterham to be in the mid-field at all.

Maldo did say it was like a new team now so that is very positive. Engine i´m sure gave them a couple of tenths as well.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 142 13.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 105 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 73 7.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 144 13.8%