2012 V8 Supercars

6 Series could do the job though. Are they offering that car in down under with a V8 engine?

No, but very few of the alternative brands in Australia offer V8's. I don't think that matters much under the COTF rules, it will be more about promoting brands. And Mazda are one of the highest selling Brands in Aus now.
BTW, we (my wife actually) now own a Mazda 6 and it has been a great car. :thumbsup:

Mazda's sporty brand image :) ? Mazda together with Toyota (before getting back to WEC) to me is a really dull brand.

6 Series could do the job though. Are they offering that car in down under with a V8 engine?
I say sporty brand image because Mazda has been advertised here in Australia as the "fun and sporty" Japanese brand... at least over the last couple of years. We have a Mazda2 as the family car, and my parents have commented that it handles like a go-kart!

As for the 6, the biggest engine available worldwide for that car is a V6. I don't think Mazda has ever produced a V8 for any of their road cars, though I may be wrong...

Watching the Sandown 500 at the moment, waiting for this week's Richard Burns Rally event to start :D

The commentators had Casey Stoner on, and mentioned he's living in Switzerland, and can't watch the V8 Supercars races. "He's got a link, and he downloads them all", and they all had a chuckle.
Aussies, not caring about copyright infringement :D

The commentators had Casey Stoner on, and mentioned he's living in Switzerland, and can't watch the V8 Supercars races. "He's got a link, and he downloads them all", and they all had a chuckle.

Did you see the part where Stoner advises that his aim (hope) is to go into driving V8 Supercars in the future. He's been an avid fan for a long time, and is regularly seen in the 888 garage. Might be interesting to see if he develops into this catagory. It's extremely competitive though. ;)

Did you see the part where Stoner advises that his aim (hope) is to go into driving V8 Supercars in the future. He's been an avid fan for a long time, and is regularly seen in the 888 garage. Might be interesting to see if he develops into this catagory. It's extremely competitive though. ;)

He's been saying it for years, its why he is retiring from bike racing early so he has time to get up to speed to be competitive.

http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=7935

Well I can't help but wonder - if Mazda were indeed to enter the championship, what car would they use as a base? the Mazda6 is the closest at the moment, but none of their cars seem to really fit despite Mazda's sporty brand image...

Latest news tonight:
Despite denials, the newest manufacturer to join the series is
Ta Da!
Mercedes Benz.

http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=8134

Stone Bros will run Mercs next year. This should really bring new interest to this series, particularly international interest. Mercedes don't usually do things half heartedly either, so I'd expect this to be a very strong team.

EDIT: Of course Mercedes say they are not directly involved from a marketing viewpoint, but it will be a Mercedes body using a Mercedes V8 engine. :whistling:

With Stone Bros running the team, and those three drivers, I'd fancy their chances within a year or two.
On the other hand, things are looking grimer for Ford, and I'm concerned about their long term future.

Yeah, they seem to be dying out, that's a shame. Soon there will be no more Ford vs. Holden either.
Wish it could stay like it was for the past 15 or so years, I hate change, and such a drastic one :D

Of course Mercedes say they are not directly involved from a marketing viewpoint, but it will be a Mercedes body using a Mercedes V8 engine. :whistling:
And it will be manufactored by AMG which was found by Hans-Werner Aufrecht, who is the head of ITR, the organising body of DTM.

Also Norbert Haug said something into this direction at the 2011 Australian Grand Prix when he was asked if Mercedes would be interested to join with the new V8 Supercar rules. His answer was that Formula 1 and DTM will be the only manufactor programs. But if there is interest, AMG could deliver a customer sport program.

I still would like to know, why ITR never thought of cooperating with and adapting V8Supercars.

And it will be manufactored by AMG which was found by Hans-Werner Aufrecht, who is the head of ITR, the organising body of DTM.

Also Norbert Haug said something into this direction at the 2011 Australian Grand Prix when he was asked if Mercedes would be interested to join with the new V8 Supercar rules. His answer was that Formula 1 and DTM will be the only manufactor programs. But if there is interest, AMG could deliver a customer sport program.

I still would like to know, why ITR never thought of cooperating with and adapting V8Supercars.

They are apperently afraid of the oversea costs, you need an extra HQ that is based in AU for it to work properly. Not only that they're shy on the needed staff especially in the planning constructing department but also to have additional crews for the teams. How are they supposed to keep their efforts running if they might have to explain an income shortage or high depts like they had, MB could be very much thankful for splitting with Daimler a bit. So Customer Teams are a great way to present their Star but at lower costs. Besides I think it'll be great for them to test the engine in those crucial circumstances, they were atop when they did the same with CART in the 90s, best engines but Aero stuff was made by others(Reynard and Penske respectively). I think it'll be the same at the beginning because they have to keep to certain rules, this done in 4 months could be pretty costly either. 1st plug the heart in then so if it runs well, if it does give it a go otherwise leave before blaming, see how sceptical anyone was when MB was unsuccessful in F1, they still produce the best engines together with Ferrari. But Aero won Championships for Red Bull, not the Renault which of course is tweaked astonishingly well by them with all their awesome engine mapping.
I disbelieve they will be so furtunate that they just take what they have in DTM and put it to V8SC, it's more complex than this and takes experience, but regaining markets in Asia and US is their primary aim, so they'll just play it safe at first.

No, you didn't get my point. I wondered why Mercedes/AMG although having power in the DTM organising body never came to a point to suggest to cooperate with V8 Supercars in terms of new car rules. GM and Ford both have factories in Germany and would have been a great addition to the current DTM brands.

No, you didn't get my point. I wondered why Mercedes/AMG although having power in the DTM organising body never came to a point to suggest to cooperate with V8 Supercars in terms of new car rules. GM and Ford both have factories in Germany and would have been a great addition to the current DTM brands.
Umm both on Short shifting regularly, you know what GM did to Opel, and now they're uncompetetive in any almost range there is, they can't keep up to Audi, Mercedes or BMW by any chance, VW taking the wide market with their crappy Golfs and nobody will get an Insignia when they can get one out of the south for the same money. So both Ford and Opel must be inventive in comfort (Ergo-Seat-Backs with nice chicks :D) and Ecoboost Engines with better usage. Then if you look at who could afford those damn oversized tanks aka BMW X5 type of cars to drive them to the backery and back is ridiculous. I'm more with the GM/Ford types that just be modern environment friendly instead of the showcasing with big battleships the big 3 do for Ego-purpose rather than using them the way Jeeps were intended.
I agree it would be great to see them back in DTM but it somehow just doesn't that way anymore unfortunately.

Heading up either thursday night or friday morning just for fridays action. Then im racing my datsun saturday, then sitting doing nothing all day sunday. (sun V8s 7am to 6pm, then F1s 5-7pm)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back