2012 Red Bull RB8

Found an answer to my question, i think the starter hole is here:

ded1221fe15.jpg

That where they are trying to aim some of the extra airflow, the rest is gonna hit the top of the diffuser. amirite?

It might be, it all depends what happens before the air gets to that point, if the car is shaped very differently then i think it's gonna be very hard. But if the overall concept is closer to RBR, i wouldn't be surprised if it gets copied soon.

Not sure really. It could be that the car with the new exhaust has been over engineered so that full aero pack does not work as well as the clean cut one before.

It´s all guesses now, i think they have the quickest car with or without these updates,

Looks weird as hell,
Sebastian-Vettel-Red-Bull-Formel-1-Test-Barcelona-4-Maerz-2012-fotoshowImage-606b8add-575011.jpg

ESPN writer Chris Medland reports: it was on his return to the pits after something fell off down the pit straight. RBR mechanic recovered it late

12:30 Now we know why the Red Bull-wing was in the morning so wrong and why Vettel was so long in the box. The world champion had made a small ride off the track, team boss Christian Horner told us. The car had to be checked only after complete, which took time.

@ScarbsF1 Red Bull, there's something very odd about the failure mode of this front wing
for it to fail tail up & not nose down?

Something fishy for sure. So what if Vettel went off, something inside the wing has just failed it seems.

Some good info here, from F1technical.
I think instead of sucking the exhaust gases downwards it sucks the exhaust gases in that direction.

This happens at cornering speeds:

The bridge allows the red air (exhaust) and the green air to trade places, and also guides the exhaust to where it is needed to help seal the sides of the diffuser so the RB8 can run at greater rake angles and generate more downforce.
blablabla.jpg

This happens at straightaway speeds:

The exhaust is blown more straight aft (aided by the naca duct), reducing the sealing of the diffuser, therefore the downforce, and therefore the drag.
testyijsp.jpg

He´s not an aerodynamicist but seems to have a pretty good idea of how aero works.

I´m just amazed at Newey, he just seems to operate at another level compared to other guys.

How i pictured is that it doesn't spread to out, towards the rear tire but attaches it to the airflow around the cokebottle "neck" (rear of the car). I can't see that the airflow under the sidepod will create anything to spread the exhaust gases outwards. Unless the actual sidepod creates underpressure.. I'll make a sketch tomorrow, if i'm still so interested. Same stuff, just move the redlines in the top picture to be between the green lines and enginecover. Just speculation but that's how it flows in my eyes.

According to F1T some guy says it´s been rumored that they will not run this exhaust layout in Oz.

Perhaps it´s so delicate and advanced that they need more time with it to fully understand it.
I´m sure it will find it´s way on to the car at some point during the season though.

EDIT:
Seems according to "reports" that RBR can´t get the exhaust gases to where they want them.
Bit odd hearing that from such a front runner in aero but i guess it´s just too little testing with it.

According to F1T some guy says it´s been rumored that they will not run this exhaust layout in Oz.

Perhaps it´s so delicate and advanced that they need more time with it to fully understand it.
I´m sure it will find it´s way on to the car at some point during the season though.

EDIT:
Seems according to "reports" that RBR can´t get the exhaust gases to where they want them.
Bit odd hearing that from such a front runner in aero but i guess it´s just too little testing with it.
It is not about being front runner......
They probably got the theory right on the wind-tunnel but can't get it to work IRL. But this could also be a cover up so they can develop it even more. We haven't gotten into round one yet so we should take everything that teams say to serious.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back