2012 Red Bull RB8

Is just me or this front reminds me some sexual objects?

Car-In-Butt.jpg

Each to their own... :D

Just my opinion, I'm not a pro by any means.

No need to be condescending about it. That's just rude.
So saying "everyone except McLaren is too lazy to rework the front" is not condescending and rude towards engineers who put their soul in the car?
Interesting..:)

You can say it's just plain ugly to the eye. Imo you can't say something about the quality of the job (too lazy) if you don't know the exact details behind the reasoning of the design.

But we'll see these things at the start of the season:
1. Did McLaren radically change the design or not
2. If McLaren didn't change the design how do they and HRT perform compared to the others who have the raised nose desingn.

Isn't it past evidence that AN only designs cars that win 2 championships in a row then they are obsolete designs? Williams 92/93, McLaren 98/99, and possibly RBR 10,11.
But you could argue that Williams 96/97 then McLaren 98/99 was 4 in a row for Newey.

The only reason 98 Williams became obsolete was due to the loss of Newey and the loss of Renault.

1. Did McLaren radically change the design or not
2. If McLaren didn't change the design how do they and HRT perform compared to the others who have the raised nose desingn.

Again, Johan, they ran the exact same setup last year, only a fraction lower this time.
There are pros and cons with both philosophies but it´s not a deal breaker in any way, it´s more important how the whole car is designed.
-

Here´s a good high-res. I have it in 6000xsomething :) But this one is 1920xsomething

My guess about the nose of Red Bull with that air duct.

First the flow goes over the bodywork for aero downforce on the front.
Than the air goes through the air gate, flows a traject to the underside of the car at high speed, making the car 'suck' to the road, so more mechanical downforce is generated,..

Your opinion?

\T
Again, Johan, they ran the exact same setup last year, only a fraction lower this time.
There are pros and cons with both philosophies but it´s not a deal breaker in any way, it´s more important how the whole car is designed.
-

Here´s a good high-res. I have it in 6000xsomething :) But this one is 1920xsomething

Thats a graphic though, not a photo.. straight out of the decoy press release

Than the air goes through the air gate, flows a traject to the underside of the car at high speed, making the car 'suck' to the road, so more mechanical downforce is generated,..

Your opinion?

My thoughts exactly. They try to cram that venturi with as much air as they can, this could be one solution.. But if it really is for that purpose, there should be a sharper leading edge to divide the airflow more. The aircushion is good explanation, that shape would create more overpressure than to direct the airflow for underpressurized zone under the floor. It can't suck any air thru, it needs to be forced to that channel.

I just wonder when they reach the limits of air that can be funneled thru that narrow space... Unexpected vortices can momentarily create overpressurerized zones under the floor, that would mean a sudden and catastrophic reversal of aero behaviour.. It doesn't really need a lot to make that ground effect from venturi to air cushion.. There's a limit how much air you can funnel thru it and worse still, it's directionally proportional to ride heigth... Too much height and it starts to float. Thet are already in very small margins, theoratically the less the space, the more volume it can take ( i know, it's so counterintuitive...).. A small bumb in the wrong time and whoops, "i can see my house from here"..

I don't like the car, but that nose vent obviously has a purpose. The RB8 will probably have an edge in Australia, but afterwards everyone will copy it.
Either that or McLaren has found the solution that everyone else missed.

I don't like the car, but that nose vent obviously has a purpose. The RB8 will probably have an edge in Australia, but afterwards everyone will copy it.
Either that or McLaren has found the solution that everyone else missed.
Mclaren have been running low noses since ´94.
Now we know for sure Mclaren haven´t taken the title every year since 94 so we should not worry to much that Mclaren will dominate or be dominated simply because of the nose.

I find it spectacular to see people discuss a nose they have run for several years now, and last year it was identical to this year.

All I was saying is that such a regulation change COULD have a major impact on performance. And since McLaren, as you said, have had low noses since the 90s they COULD have an advantage.

All I was saying is that such a regulation change COULD have a major impact on performance. And since McLaren, as you said, have had low noses since the 90s they COULD have an advantage.
Yea but some of the new noses for this year is just as high as last year, especially the teams that run the hardcore gator-nose.

I think Ferrari´s is even higher, on the underside of the nose cone.

Your opinion?
Illegal unfortunately. They banned it after Ferrari came up with their brilliant idea in 2008.
It´s either for cooling purposes or to create an air-pocket or both.
EDIT: It can be legal if the hole is not in the nose cone. It has to be a hole in the tub for it to be legal.

Looks like the (if we assume it´s a hole) that it starts in the nose cone so from what i understand it would be illegal.

ded1207fe81.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back