2012 Grand Prix motorcycle racing

But would Yamaha have him back?
I've got a feeling that he may have burnt yet another bridge behind him....
Im not really seeing too many options left for such a top-line rider- he's almost painted himself into a corner as it were with such a small choise of factory machines available

"Would Yamaha have him back" is the million dollar question Lee.

Yamaha already have some very talented riders who will be around for many years to come: Lorenzo will remain a consistent race winner and riders like Cal Crutchlow could make an excellent choice for team mate as Cal has shown the speed required to be at the pointy end every race. Then there is the horde of young Spanish talent in Moto2 to think about too.

Rossi brings with him lots of sponsorship dollars and a wealth of 'brand cache' (I know, marketing wank speak :rolleyes: ). I read Yamaha sales dropped 7% once Rossi moved on and Ducati sales have been through the roof in quite a few territories recently. It could all be coincidence - I really don't know.

Has Rossi burnt bridges? You bet he has. Honda won't take him back on a full factory machine (the honour belongs to Repsol) and Motomatters have posted that Rossi isn't interested in a Honda ride which leaves Yamaha or Ducati. Rossi left Yamaha in a huff once it became clear the factory favoured Lorenzo in the long term but it was an amicable split unlike Honda.

Where does that leave things? Yamaha have imposed a lot of restrictions on Rossi if the rumours to be believed whilst Ducati are keen to keep Rossi as he is marketing gold even if the results have been few and far between. From what I have read - Rossi's return to Yamaha includes a single bike team with Marlboro sponsorship whilst the other rumour is former Yamaha MotoGP R&D head Furusawa is going to Ducati to help out so that Rossi stays.

It'll all become clear soon but I think it's Rossi that has to come down the totem pole as most factory teams either have high quality riders at the moment or plently of youngsters waiting to step up to the premier class.

I agree with you 100% Travis.
I didn't know though about Rossi & the possibility of a single bike Yamaha team....
I must admit I don't follow MotoGP as closely as I used to do too...
There's a few if's in this, but my feeling is that IF Rossi decides he can't cope any longer on the Ducati (such a shame they must turn it into a 'Yamaha clone' just for him!) & with a lack of Factory rides available for him, then he may just finally quit MotoGP & head to 4 wheeled racing of some sort, possibly with a Ferrari....
These, of course, are just my impressions & not really based on much besides his occasional flirt with various 4wheeled motorsport classes.....

Motomatters tweeted a story regarding the top MotoGP journos from Europe and their thoughts on where Rossi will end up - most stated that Rossi will ride a Yamaha but just as many thought he should remain at Ducati.

The funny thing is this: Rossi went to Ducati for the challenge to prove he to could win a world title as Stoner had done. In two seasons Rossi and his team have discovered that Stoner was a wee bit more talented than he'd be credited for. Leaving now would mean the union has been a failure and that Rossi failed where Stoner didn't - who would have ever thought that would happen?

And if/when he does start winning on the Duke, it won't really be the bike Stoner won on....
Im sure I remember reading somewhere when he first left to join them (Rossi that is) that the last thing Ducati wanted to do was make the bike a Yamaha clone & that Rossi would need to learn to ride the Duke....
Hmmm...how things change...;)

Errr...I just checked the tittle of this thread....
I think we may have wandered a little from topic here...:roflmao:

It's not about the money with Rossi and feel IF Ducati wants to keep him they had better start to LISTEN to him regarding what is needed to build a winning motorcycle.

Ever since Honda won the title with Hayden those damn bikes have been designed for the midget Pedrosa and like always they have run off another great rider in Stoner.

IF Rossi stays at Ducati imho depends on what they say regarding using his input and as far as Spies goes I think he has the Konsinski syndrome. Huge natural talent but an attitude that makes him unbearable, for him not to win on the Yamaha or even run upfront is almost comical.

If you don't mind I'd like to put a couple of theories forward but from first to last....
Konsinski syndrome....
Quite possibly but not as bad....
Im thinking more like Vemulan syndrome- or, Big fish in a small pond syndrome....
A LOT of talent but left SBK too early & found himself not quite up to par.
Konsinski really did have a huge ego, probably larger than his talent, yet still that was, all boiled down, mainly a case of Big Fish syndrome....

Im sure that this years Honda is a much different bike to the one that was initially designed around Pedrosa.
If this year bike WAS designed solely around Pedrosa, he'd be doing far better than he is right now & more than likely better than the larger stature Stoner or others riding the satellite bikes....
And as for Honda 'having run off another great rider in Stoner....'
My thoughts on his (almost) premature retirement can be attributed to a couple of things, foremost being his arm-pump troubles...
I don't believe the surgery was totally successful in solving it & more likely just extended his career as even this year he has had trouble with it on occasion & can be witnessed 'nursing' his arm between sessions at times & others during warm-up before a race.
Im sure if Honda could, they'd have kept Stoner around for another few years just as Im sure he would've stayed if he felt he could keep performing at the pinnacle of this sport for some time to come.
There's very few who are happy to leave while still on top, right now the only other I can think of was Bayliss when he left WSB.

"Ducati....had better start listening to Rossi"....
They've been listening to him & doing what they can to please him with that thing since he joined!
How long did they ignore both Hayden & Stoner & pursue that Carbon bolt-on chassis & it's lack of flex & weight distribution, yet almost as soon as Rossi joined it was a redesign & then a redesign & another redesign & so on.....
How much more like a Yamaha chassis does it need to become & how far departed from Ducati's well proven trellis frame let alone the Carbon monstrosity (OK, the bold-on design was good in theory) before folks realise it's barely a 'proper' Duke under all that clothing?
(Sorry, Im just sad to see Ducati compromising there...)

Lastly, are you sure it's not JUST about money for Rossi?
OK, so he's a record hunter, but also remember it wasn't so long ago that he was in a fair amount of Tax trouble back in Italy & like ol' Willie Nelson or the Beastie Boys a few years back, he needs to replenish his bank accounts to pay the bills.
Im sure this would be weighing on his mind at times & would most likely influence some of his business decisions at times just as it would you or I....

(In summation- LoL!)
Yes Rossi has a HUGE amount of talent, but he was in a league of his own on machinery far in advance of what else was being fielded at the time & for a good while too.
He's no longer on the best of the best machinery in the paddock & he's now surrounded by talent that, if not his equal, than better than him & he's starting to find he's no longer the biggest fish in the pond.
His opposition are FAR more talented & on much better machinery than what he had to contend with in his earlier years.
IF he can master that Ducati, then it's going to be a long time before someone can topple his reign once more, THAT Im certain of!

As for Spies, in Moto GP he's not a consistent front runner, he's used to being well out in front.
He'sprobably had a look over the fence & seen whats leading in WSB (his old pond) & feels he can do better back there & spat the dummie...
You know the saying, 'The grass is always greener....'
Good on him, at least he's cleared the seat for someone better & more deserving!

P.S. Sorry about the lengthy spiel, I only hope this brings on more chat & debate :D

It's been pretty much confirmed that Rossi is headed to Yamaha as he was spotted leaving the HQ of Yamaha Europe with several journalists tweeting this along with many Spanish and Italian press claiming the same story & information. It is a 2 season deal with a potential of a 1 year ride on the 2015 R1 Yamaha in the WSBK series.

Regarding Spies, BMW have confirmed they are in talks with him to ride their WSBK machine alongside Melandri in 2013.

Looks like Spies is making a good career move as that BMW is really becoming an awesome machine.
And it appears as though Rossi is going to chase records rather than weather it out at Ducati!
With an option on going to WSB this sounds like a retirement plan especially with the option to gain a few more in the record books.
Now the question, I think, is more who can adequately fill the saddle on the Duke as Haydon isn't quite there yet to assert himself as the teams lead rider.
They need someone who can perform a lot better on it & there's only one I can think that could really do that, but he's apparently retiring....
Could this all be someway for Casey to discretely get out of his 'Dream Team' & get back on the brand that made him a class champion in the first place?
Geez, wouldn't that rub some salt into Rossi's wounds after some of the stuff him & JB said when they first went to Ducati;)

Put me down for a couple of bob on Stoner being in red next year & JB looking for a job....
Only because it's a shame to see Casey bow out so early in his career!

It has been uncovered that the tweets causing the stir about Rossi visiting Yamaha HQ were made from a hacked Twitter account! Rossi's move to Yamaha is yet to be confirmed as of today however where there is smoke, fire is usually present.

Spies will have an interesting story to tell once he leaves Yamaha. This season has been a disaster and I think he's gotten the Colin Edwards role as Yamaha parts tester for the lead rider. The fact that the swingarm broke on his bike during the last race makes me wonder what parts Yamaha have on Spies' machine as I cannot recall ever seeing that happen before.

I think it was given he was bolting for the bile he helped build. Yes I know it's got a different motor but you gotta admit it to was a wounded duck b4 Rossi but I will say again Yamaha listens to their riders and will give whatever is needed for advancement and will also say again Ducati did not listen until the bitter end for Rossi to go this long and STILL being beat by CRT bikes is simply proof of someone's ignorance.

2013 is sure to be a banner year but will always be a little hollow without Stoner kinda like this year was without Marco that man ALWAYS made a race exciting

It's now official: http://www.yamaha-racing.com/Racing...geTitle=Yamaha Factory Racing Press Statement

It is with great pleasure that Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd confirms the signing of Valentino Rossi to ride for the Yamaha Factory Racing MotoGP Team for 2013 and 2014.

Valentino Rossi first joined Yamaha in 2004 and achieved four MotoGP World Champion titles with the Yamaha YZR-M1 in 2004 and 2005 and again in 2008 and 2009. He won 46 Grand Prix races with Yamaha over a 7 year period before leaving at the end of the 2010 MotoGP season.

Rossi, who is presently 8th in the Championship standings, will partner Jorge Lorenzo who currently leads the 2012 MotoGP World Championship by 23 points, having taken five victories from the first ten completed races of the 18 race series.

Lin Jarvis - Managing Director, Yamaha Motor Racing
“This announcement is once again excellent news for Yamaha. In June we were able to sign Jorge Lorenzo for the 2013-14 campaign and now we are able to confirm Valentino Rossi for the next two years. In doing so we have been able to put together the strongest possible team to challenge for victories and to promote the Yamaha brand.

We have run this ‘super team’ together in 2008, 2009 and 2010 and during that time we achieved the ‘triple crown’ titles with Rider, Manufacturer and Team World Championship victories for three consecutive years.

The target for the future is obvious and we will do our utmost to achieve our goals.

I have no doubt that with the experience, knowledge, skills and speed of these two great champion riders we will be able to challenge for many race wins and for the 2013 and 2014 World Championship titles.

The signing of Valentino completes our future planning for the Yamaha Factory Racing MotoGP Team. Now that this is done we will put our 100% efforts into completing the job at hand and to supporting Ben Spies and Jorge Lorenzo in their search for race victories and for Jorge’s 2012 World Championship title challenge.”

Sorry to see Ben leave Yamaha but it was bound to happen unless he could out run Lorenzo. He showed great talent in WSB. Ben impressed everyone great rider and he showed Maldin he was the man here in the states. Just think he moved into a top spot with another rider his equal(or better) as a teammate lots of pressure to prove something. Rossi stepped aside to allow Ben his shot sure Rossi was getting beat too by Lorenzo and his ego was getting beat up so a move was good for all parties. Cal is a good choice for the team he is riding for now. He has stepped up and shown he can hang....but I would bet he would suffer the same fate as Ben did...Rossi has been there done that I am thinking it is a good fit both riders are not backing down and there will be a fight for top spot. Face it Honda brought a big gun to the fight and made the point we can win still. Yamaha needs to step up the game and run a 3 bike team too...this will bring the fight on....Suzuki needs to come back .....hopfully to prove they can do it...long over due. Honda steped up....Stoner leaving just will bring the talent back down a notch where the others have a chance....Sure he has been beat but on most days he crushes the others.

Ben Spies and Andrea Iannone join Pramac Ducati

Well i did'nt see that coming...:unsure:

By Matthew Birt

Ben Spies and Andrea Iannone will ride for the Pramac Ducati squad on full factory Desmosedici machinery in the 2013 MotoGP world championship.
Although they will both race for the satellite squad run by Pramac, a statement from Ducati confirmed that Spies and Iannone will have a direct link to the Bologna factory and they will be supplied with official equipment like factory contracted duo Nicky Hayden and Andrea Dovizioso.
The move is in line with Ducati’s plan to bring its satellite team closer to its factory effort to help with development of the Desmosedici project in a similar way that Yamaha operates with Cal Crutchlow’s Monster Yamaha Tech 3 outfit.
Rumours that Texan Spies was completing a shock switch to Ducati emerged at the recent Brno MotoGP test in the Czech Republic.
He had also been strongly linked to a switch to Fausto Gresini’s satellite Honda squad as it emerged that he would not be taking up a chance to partner Marco Melandri on a factory-backed BMW S1000RR in World Superbikes next season.
The signing of Spies is particularly intriguing given it represents a drastic change of heart from the 2009 World Superbike champion.

During his home race in Indianapolis last month he suggested his time in MotoGP was over having taken the shock decision to quit Yamaha’s factory squad on the eve of the Laguna Seca clash at the end of July.
Speaking to MCN at the iconic Indianapolis Motor Speedway he said: "If I am racing next year it will be in World Superbikes. But I haven’t decided if I am going to be racing next year.
"We could have stayed in MotoGP this year but that was not an option for me. I just don’t think I will come back.
"I’ve raced in every series and I know that there is fun to be had in racing. I know how it is here and I had to try it and it was a dream of mine always to be here but it is not always what it is cut out to be and what people think about it. Here it is very cut throat but it is also the pinnacle of racing so it is always going to be like that.
"I have raced in every series now and I know what’s fun, and I know how much you can enjoy riding. A lot of people here haven’t experienced that and I have and that’s why I came up with that decision. I want to be in a good and fun environment and that’s all there is too it."

But it was only a few days later in Brno that he revealed he was contemplating a dramatic U-turn when he told MCN: "There is a possibility of staying here but it is slim and after Indy I was approached by a couple of different people.
"World Superbikes is something I'm still looking at very strongly and now I'm also looking at some GP offers but I can assure you nothing is done yet. It comes down to the fact that I feel I haven't shown 100% of what I can do, and I know that.
"I don't want to look back in 10 years and say maybe I left too soon but to stay it has to be the right package and that is what I am working on right now."
Spies has endured a shocking run of fortune in 2012 but to pin his hopes on re-building his MotoGP career on a Ducati that has shattered Valentino Rossi’s confidence and morale is a big gamble.
Italian Moto2 rider Iannone’s inclusion in the Pramac squad is less of a shock given he has been almost constantly linked to Ducati's ‘junior team’ for almost the entire summer silly season.
He tested for Ducati last year and has recently demonstrated his potential and promise in two test sessions at the Mugello circuit in Italy.

Ducati’s statement read: "Ducati announces that it has signed an agreement with American Ben Spies and Italian Andrea Iannone to compete in the 2013 MotoGP World Championship.
"Having already confirmed Nicky Hayden and announced Andrea Dovizioso for the Ducati Team, the Italian manufacturer now reaffirms its confidence in and commitment to the MotoGP World Championship, finalizing its lineup for next season with two riders who are fast and competitive, already protagonists in the MotoGP and Moto2 World Championships.
"At the same time, the partnership has been renewed between Ducati and Pramac Racing, which will continue to be entrusted with management of the satellite team.
"The two riders, who have a direct link with the company, will be supplied with official equipment. This agreement will enable additional important support in the development of the Desmosedici MotoGP project, offering a further opportunity in the process of improving the performance of the Italian bike."
The capture of Spies and Iannone ends British teenager Scott Redding’s faint hopes of landing a GP13 slot.
The Gloucestershire rider made a successful MotoGP debut on board a factory Ducati GP12 at Mugello at the end of July but talks quickly fizzled out.
Redding has also been linked with a Gresini Honda ride but is facing competition from Alvaro Bautista and Jonathan Rea, who will replace injured Casey Stoner in Misano this weekend at Repsol Honda.

spies.jpg

Ben would have been better off racing for BMW in SBK rather than on a second tier Ducati that one one as ever done anything with...not even a podium.

Time will tell if it was a good or bad decision.

Wow, I have never seen such a strange kind of unfairness. This rider should get taken away the racers license for the rest of his life. Very, very strange attitude. :confused:

I`ve just finishes watching race at Sepang, and I can only quote Didier Drogba
As I see, the only rider, who demanded to stop the race, was Lorenzo, and the reason was that he was the only man wis the soft (and dying at that moment) compound at the rear wheel. And the race was stopped just at the moment when Casey was overtaking Jorge. I`ve never seen anything like this before

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%