2012 Formula One Canadian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
54 vote(s) for lewis Hamilton = 54 people who dont know who to vote for so they choose him

HAHA im sorry im sticking to Alonso!! My blood will always be red till the day I die ;):roflmao:
With Hamilton's Consistency He has the Best chance until Mclaren Makes another Mistake for them to cost his Chances and equally Alonso too due to his Brilliance in the Season Right from the Start
But on a Track like Montreal Mercedes will be the Main Team to beat due to long straights.

Guys, Mercedes' performance isn't mainly to do with long straights. It is to do with the track temperature.

At Monaco, barely any straights, however the track was cold during Qualy and the Race.
At China, they were extremly quick in all sectors, not just the final sector with the long straight. China has a very low track temperature.

At Malaysia, there are some very long straights but the track is ridiculous hot and in qualifying they struggled.

Guys, Mercedes' performance isn't mainly to do with long straights. It is to do with the track temperature.

At Monaco, barely any straights, however the track was cold during Qualy and the Race.
At China, they were extremly quick in all sectors, not just the final sector with the long straight. China has a very low track temperature.

At Malaysia, there are some very long straights but the track is ridiculous hot and in qualifying they struggled.
Track temperature was the main issue at the start of the season, but it is fairly likely they've gotten on top of that by now. Plus, how did Mercedes struggle in Qualifying at Malaysia? Schumacher came in third. The reason he wasn't even further up is that Malaysia is in no way comparable to tracks like Montreal. Malaysia is actually a high-downforce track through all of sector 2 and also part of sector 3. Mercedes is not just good on straights because of high top speed. They are also good through slow corners and have strong traction. Neither of those are that important at Malaysia.

And the track temperature thing wasn't that simple anyway. It's not that they were simply bad at high temperatures - they were susceptible to temperature changes, meaning that they would get into trouble when the race was much hooter or colder than qualifying.

I think anybody can win this race and it is down to track conditions to make the diffrence. Yes, Montreal should suit MGP quite well, but I think the diffrence isn't that big.

I just don't know how I should rank Lotus. They were always quite strong on friday and sunday, but were imo quite dissapointing in race pace (expect for Bahrain of course); at least when it comes down to winning the race.

54 vote(s) for lewis Hamilton = 54 people who dont know who to vote for so they choose him

HAHA im sorry im sticking to Alonso!! My blood will always be red till the day I die ;):roflmao:
I voted for Hamilton because I think he will win, not because I don't know who to vote for. For the most part he has a good record there and the track suits the Mercedes engine. If he can get pole it would take a mighty effort from someone to take the win from him.

So far this season has shown that front row starts lead to victory. 5 out of 6 races were won from the first row. 4 out of 6 were won by the driver who was ahead in turn 1. My guess is the dirty air destroying the tires of everybody behind.

Organizers of this weekend's Canadian Grand Prix have called off a scheduled "open house" day.

The promoters of the Montreal race had planned to allow spectators to attend the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve and tour the F1 pitlane for free on Thursday.

La Presse newspaper said the open day has taken place since the early 90s, with 12,000 taking advantage last year.

But according to the Canadian Press, it has been called off in 2012 due to "security concerns", amid threats made by protesting university students and internet terrorists.

"Considering the various disruption threats made public recently, the free admission and the naturally open character of the open house day revealed some risks that we could not ignore," said promoter Francois Dumontier.

"We wish to express our sincere apologies to the F1 fans and, among them, a good share of our spectators who appreciate this annual gathering with the world championship teams," he added.

Despite the cancellation, Dumontier insisted Montreal is safe for race-goers.

"We cannot deny that something is happening in Montreal," he told La Presse, "but what is conveyed in the foreign media is always the same -- stunning images of petrol bombs and clashes with police.

"I am trying to reassure people who are asking me questions about it. There are F1 people who arrived a few days ago and they have said nothing to me about the situation."

He admitted to having ramped up security.

"We will not divulge any details," Dumontier is quoted by the Times, "but we already have a rather elaborate plan.

"We increased security, reviewed certain points that might have been more vulnerable and, over several weeks, have been working closely with the police. We're ready for several contingencies."

The race is going to be between the Mclarens and the mercedes ! The stop-go nature of the tracks may suit them !! And The double drs may be of additional help to them !

The race is going to be between the Mclarens and the mercedes ! The stop-go nature of the tracks may suit them !! And The double drs may be of additional help to them !
No double DRS this year in Canada folks.

Apparently because it made things too easy for Button last year. I'll try to find the link and post here.

No double DRS this year in Canada folks.

Apparently because it made things too easy for Button last year. I'll try to find the link and post here.

He's talking about the special DRS system on the Mercedes; the one that stalls the front wing.

It's good that they have only one DRS zone, because the second zone was only used to pull away from the car they overtook.

He's talking about the special DRS system on the Mercedes; the one that stalls the front wing.

It's good that they have only one DRS zone, because the second zone was only used to pull away from the car they overtook.
I see.

I'm wondering whether the idea of the 2nd zone was to allow the driver that was passed in the first zone, a chance to retake the position in the 2nd zone (assuming he could maintain the 1 second gap).

I see.

I'm wondering whether the idea of the 2nd zone was to allow the driver that was passed in the first zone, a chance to retake the position in the 2nd zone (assuming he could maintain the 1 second gap).
If there are two activation points, yes. This was not the case in Montreal last year, however. If I recall it correctly, simply because they hadn't figured out how to do it, technically. Later in the season, for example at Abu Dhabi, there were two activation points as well as two DRS zones, resulting in the behavior you described.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 308 27.6%