2012 Formula One Australian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
The failure of Honda and Toyota had a total different reason than that of the BMW team. Had to do with the Japanese culture where mistakes are not tolerated and where every tiny development decision had to be approved from bottom to the top of the respective corporations.

Engineer: "Next week I want to have a front suspension that is 10% more stiff"
Chef: "Ill ask my boss"
Chef's Chef: "Ill ask my boss"
Chef's Chef's Chef: "Ill ask my boss"
Chef's Chef's Chef's Chef: "Ill ask my boss"
x50 and 3 months later
CEO: "It's okay, lets do it"

Mercedes Benz is also a large company but their motorsport divisions decide and develop a lot more faster than any Japanese Corporation. Mercedes GP will get there this season, I am sure.

Oke race. Shame for Mclaren they were quite dominant in the beginning. But at the end the Safety car spoiled it abit i think.
Shame for Schumacher en Grosjean. Kimi has still a good racing spirit. Perez was outstanding and unlucky for Maldonado. Even if i dont like him. Ferrari was typical 2011 Ferrari. Damage control were Alonso gets more out of the car then possible. Massa i dont see finishing the season.

Mercedes Benz is also a large company but their motorsport divisions decide and develop a lot more faster than any Japanese Corporation. Mercedes GP will get there this season, I am sure.

Fair point Bram and I hope you're right, we need more than just McLaren and RBR at the sharp end.

I was a huge fan of BMW too and was gutted when they pulled out. I wish Mercedes success for fear they'l do the same :( I bet Haug is under huge pressure.

Agreed
The haters just have to show the world how much pure unadulterated hate they have in their heads. Let's try this instead. Vettel did not have Button's pace. Button was the clear winner. But Vettel was catching Hamilton. If you'll remember Hamilton had a 10 second lead on Vettel around the time of the first pit stops and this lead was cut to only a second or so by the time the 2nd pit stops and the SC came out. Could Vettel have passed Hamilton without the SC? In this race we will never know. But it appears that both Button and Vettel are better tire managers than Hamilton is. That is not luck.
Vettel was one of the Best Drivers today The others was Button and Alonso
But Starting from 6th and finishing 2nd is not easy cos you will only have the top drivers in the Higher places and Mclarens are Clearly outpaced Redbull but he managed to get the pace at the end
Now i guess he will be in the top step again in the further races

The problem with Japanese companies is probably the organization structure. That organization structure asks for a lot of requests and must be allowed by the chief who has an other one, who has another chief. That last chief talks to the board. The board allows the upgrade, that needs to go down to the engineers one by one..
Just too much bureaucracy too many layers within an organization who all have to approve a change...

That's why European brands will generally develop quicker since the board just believes the engineers known what theyre doing. And as long they stay within the budget it's ok.

totally different circumstances, Mercedes have their own say on development unlike some teams who ask the top guys.

Mercedes are making improvement, big ones infact, just be patient.
Indeed, it's just hard to develop faster and better than other top teams. And well, Mercedes are developing faster and better than the other teams..
So if Red Bull makes one step forward, McLaren made 2 steps forward, Mercedes had to make AND DID make3 steps forward..

Start was exciting, but after the middle of the race it got boring since the remaining cars were in almost the same positions as they were in 2011, and all the drivers who could have changed that were out of the race. Anybody know what happened to Hulkenberg? All I heard about the incident was DC saying the crane came to take his Force India away, and then not show a replay. Probably went off track and hit a wall I guess.

Schumacher podium was a little too much to hope for after Vettel, Webber and Alonso showed they had better pace than him. If he stayed in the race, he probably would have been passed by Vettel in the pit stops, then could have caught up to the train Vettel was making with Hamilton.

From Rosberg's onboard on the last lap it looked like a puncture from the way the wheel was angled. Haven't seen the contact from Perez's view. Oh, and DC was calling for a Rosberg penalty after he had to cut the chicane Button did last year with Massa. Although, this time Rosberg didn't gain a position and it looks like Kobayashi took the inside away causing Rosberg to overshoot the corner.

Double DRS wasn't horrifying like it was in Montreal.

Indeed, it's just hard to develop faster and better than other top teams. And well, Mercedes are developing faster and better than the other teams..
So if Red Bull makes one step forward, McLaren made 2 steps forward, Mercedes had to make AND DID make3 steps forward..

Not as big steps as Mclaren though.
And i think there isn't one team that can beat Mclaren in development pace with parts that work.

09-10-11 they were the only team to catch RBR but it was too late.
a 2-year season would see them beat any other team on pure development.

Absolutely right

Malaysia was going to be very tough as it was the first race to have Mediums and Hards are option and Primes
So lap times will be very low and also the Teams have some time to think in this week

Mercedes needs to Have reliability as they have pace specially in straights

Not as big steps as Mclaren though.
And i think there isn't one team that can beat Mclaren in development pace with parts that work.

09-10-11 they were the only team to catch RBR but it was too late.
a 2-year season would see them beat any other team on pure development.

But I think Redbull was going to take the place of Mclaren again because Even though Mclaren has Pace RBR matched their pace And in the further races they can over come them despite of less Mechanical grip through out the weekend

Lotus is also have ability to get podiums
But RBR and Mclaren will be the teams who take the Podiums much More through out season
Looking forward for next race

Lewis you need to sign that contract extension M8(hint,hint)

pretty confused and dissapointed by the lack of race pace by Mercedes,...again i will take consolation that Melbourne is a tricky cuircut and doesnt give u proper estimate at what the order is,but either way they need to improve tyre degrdation or else run in the same position they did last year if not worse!
McLaren clearly the fastest car atm and Jenson Button again proving he is massively underrated as a driver
Well Done

i would also like feedback from you regular guys, do you all enjoy these pictures i put up Live of these races?

i don't want to become a nuisance if you don't like them.
Well what else do we have a racing forum for? I enjoy your commentaries in pictures, even though I don't look at them till after the race, it's a good way for me to look back on the race. Keep it up man.

Good race, that safety car was great, it spiced up the race, actually making it a sprint to the end. Button had a great race putting Hamilton to shame, and Mercedes just proved that without Super DRS their car is a dog. Massa's just keeping Perez's seat warm.

Another thing worth to mention: Cogratulations to Marussia team, they almost both finished the race without any pre-season testing. I thought they both did it btw, just saw that Pic had a problem 5 laps before the end. But still, it's not bad:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back