2012 Formula One Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i can say it was Brave but not just by Vettel but also by Redbull
I will divide this into 2 parts
1st part a Supreme Drive by Vettel (Accept it or Not is up to you )
2nd Part Redbull team made perfect calls to minimize the damage of Pit stops. Their Brave moves and Vettel On the Limit Drive earned their Luck in the name of Second Safety car
That's why i said "Fortune Favors the BRAVE"
Yes the car is fast but I think Vettel is super quick anyway. You can see the way he flicks the car through chicanes and gets those fastest laps/poles.

BUT the brave part was the team and Vettel could have destroyed their strategy by being a little impatient.

I do say that we make our own luck, however, I think Vettel went to see a soothsayer. Vettel knowing that the outcome would be success, just went for it.

On a serious note, that unfortunately for Vettel didn't disprove his doubters.

I also think that the parc ferme rules should apply when a driver has been penalised. Being penalised should not give the driver any advantage (changing set ups such as engine maps etc).

If Seb had a cleaner race, even with the safety cars, my opinion would have been a little different. He looked a little 'mid-field' if you ask me.

Vettel is the luckiest F1 driver to ever live... it´s unbelievable how he can have that much luck all the got damn time.
Not one but 2 safety cars. Manages to break his own wing TWICE but still finds himself third, crazy...

I agree, even if Red Bull nailed the strategy, that guy is really lucky. There have been not many Safety Cars through the season and then we have two in the same race, and one just when he pits in for the second time...cmon. Still luck will play is part in the next GPs and it is still Vettel who has to have worse luck to make the balance equilibrate.

Yes the car is fast but I think Vettel is super quick anyway. You can see the way he flicks the car through chicanes and gets those fastest laps/poles.

BUT the brave part was the team and Vettel could have destroyed their strategy by being a little impatient.

I do say that we make our own luck, however, I think Vettel went to see a soothsayer. Vettel knowing that the outcome would be success, just went for it.

On a serious note, that unfortunately for Vettel didn't disprove his doubters.

I also think that the parc ferme rules should apply when a driver has been penalised. Being penalised should not give the driver any advantage (changing set ups such as engine maps etc).

If Seb had a cleaner race, even with the safety cars, my opinion would have been a little different. He looked a little 'mid-field' if you ask me.
Well that might be a Different but when we start the Point of IF then lot of variables will change so I suggest to stay away from that
One thing is for Sure he was improving a lot since his first world Championship year.

Well that might be a Different but when we start the Point of IF then lot of variables will change so I suggest to stay away from that
One thing is for Sure he was improving a lot since his first world Championship year.
As requested (IF removed).

Seb didn't have a clean race (which happens). He didn't race like a classy double-world champion.

This race can be likened to his first world championship year.

I think Seb can drive with class. But not on this occasion.

Some credit can be given. They changed much of the car from quali to race. Starting in the pit lane means he now can't head out onto the track for warm up laps, doesn't take part in the parade lap. Essentially he comes out of the pits in a cold car, one that its handlings characteristics have changed.

Although to me he really did have a pretty sloppy weekend. Making mistakes during quali aswell as really looking impatient in the car during the race.

I wonder what is the point in enforcing parc ferme and then a penalised driver is allowed to change so many fundamental things if he starts from the pit lane, It's a bit like a get out of jail free card don't you think?!

The affect of starting form the pit lane would have been less on a track that didn't have two long straights, but even so; I'm guessing parc ferme does not apply if you start from the pit lane. Big loop hole there for teams to exploit at the right tracks imo.

I wonder what is the point in enforcing parc ferme and then a penalised driver is allowed to change so many fundamental things if he starts from the pit lane, It's a bit like a get out of jail free card don't you think?!

The affect of starting form the pit lane would have been less on a track that didn't have two long straights, but even so; I'm guessing parc ferme does not apply if you start from the pit lane. Big loop hole there for teams to exploit at the right tracks imo.

You'll have to start last anyway then, so it's only an option for the backmarkers or if you'd have to start from the back of the grid anyway. :)

The luck of Vettel we can see it for example in his pole position stats. His number of poles suggest he is stronger that Hamilton, which this year came to prove that's absolutely not the case. With a less dominant car we saw Vettel even getting out of the Q3. In two last years the most consistent driver in Q was Hamilton. With an inferior car was in most cases capable of doing at least top 3... With a superior car just smashed the concurrence, team-mate included. Vettel seems to only be there when the car is a beast. I can addmit he's as good as Hamilton in Q, but no way he has proved to be better because he is less consistent. When the car is not exactly as he likes he struggles. Looking to their records we can assume Vettel is better. But for me that's where the factor Newey says hello. I think Vettel is a great griver, what i don't like to see is a curriculum that is bigger than his real merits or talent. What Senna achieved, what Alonso achieved, came by hard work... There was no doubt they were better than the others. His title records are fair, natural. Vettel's records seem they fall of the sky more by luck than for his real superiority, if you can understand me. I have nothing against Vettel, he's a good guy, a great driver, but his curriculum is an affront to many legends of F1.

It's only an exploit if you're already starting last, and your setup is heavily optimized for fast laps, sacrificing straight speed, in a track with long straights.

It's not something most teams would do anyway. Starting from the pits also gives you a big time disadvantage (although you'd skip the mayhem in T1).

Tom: That's what I'm getting at. If Vettel had started from the back, he wouldn't have changed the gearbox, ratios and whatever else they changed. So it's a 'real' penalty in my view.

But it looks a bit like they pretty much dismissed the parc ferme restrictions and did what they liked to the car as a trade off for being a bit further back in the first few corners. Once parc ferme is enforced and you get a penalty like Vettel (or Hamilton) had, that should be it for changing anything, unless parts are broken or unsafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back