2012 FIA World Endurance Championship

It´s a hybrid. They won´t have a chance unless they build a diesel engine. Same with Porsche.

2012, it´s only Audi.
2013, first year for Toyota
2014, first year for Porsche

Even if the car is just as quick over a lap it still means it will be dominated in the race due to the insane torque of the diesel engine. Everytime you slow down for traffic the diesel has a massive advantage.

I don't think Toyota would build a hybrid car and use it if not long term and they actually thought it could win.
I am sure they have an ace somewhere in doing what they are doing :)

I dont think any team/company enters a series they dont think they can win :)

I will be very surprised if Toyota even finishes the race.
I don't doubt Toyota and what they can do but running tests is a bit different to running 24 hours.

I think they will finish, but I'd be amazed if they finish high in the standings. It's not like Audi bringing a new car to the race, they have years of very recent expirence and know exactly what they are doing and what they need to get out of a new car, Toyota on the other hand haven't can't rely on knowledge built up in the 90's, the game has changed. Saying that though, it would be mighty impressive if they finished as top petrol.

Peugeot hadn't built anything either since the 90's when they entered Le Mans 24h in 2007.
1st and 3rd in qualification and 2nd and 3rd in race was the result for them.
I think toyota knows what they are doing ;)

I hope Toyota have learned from their mistakes in Formula 1.

Ive read a nice in depth article about their F1 endeavors in Autosport magazine once that focussed on the question why they were never successful in the last years.

Despite the fact they had more or less unlimited financial and technical resources it all came down to how they run the company in Japan. Every tiny decision had to be accorded by a chef and that chef had to ask his chef for permission etc etc.

Therefor development changes took a lot of time which never leads to an advantage as the decision and quality assurance process took way too much time.

Bowing.jpg
CAN I PLEASE HAVE A NEW DIFFUSER?
私は新しいディフューザーをご用意ください。

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/toyota-ts030-hybrid/full/#photo-4772932/

Toyota Hybrid System – Racing (THS-R) couples a 3.4-liter V8 to one of two potential electric motor setups: a front-mounted system developed by Aisin AW or a rear-mounted one from Denso. According to regulations, the electric boost can only drive one set of wheels, and Toyota has yet to decide which, although the 500kJ capacitor supplied by Nisshinbo is already a lock.

The carbon fiber chassis, meanwhile, was developed in-house by Toyota Motorsport GmbH in Cologne, Germany – the same outfit that ran the company's F1 team and has been looking for a new project ever since. The facility will serve as the team's headquarters as well, from which it will field one car in its debut at the Six Hours of Spa-Francorchamps – the second round of the inaugural FIA World Endurance Championship – on May 5. Toyota is planning to field a second car at Le Mans in June, but while the first car's driver roster is already confirmed, the team has yet to decide on its second line-up.
I´ll be damned if they are succesful right out of the gates. I´m hoping they are and i´m very interested in the hybrid system and what dis/advantages it might have compared to just a super strong diesel engine.

According to regulations, the electric boost can only drive one set of wheels, and Toyota has yet to decide which

Waitwaitwait, hold on a second... does that mean that, if they choose the front wheels, the thing would be 4WD? And would it be a temporary boost, or would it be on all the time? Just seems a little strange to have a boost system that gives temporary 4WD...

Waitwaitwait, hold on a second... does that mean that, if they choose the front wheels, the thing would be 4WD? And would it be a temporary boost, or would it be on all the time? Just seems a little strange to have a boost system that gives temporary 4WD...

It´s actually one of the best ways. The Porsche hybrid has the same setup.
It powers the front wheels when you are on full throttle giving an extra 200 horses if i´m not mistaken.

This is great for traction out of corners but you don´t have to worry about the downsides to having a 4WD system active all the time.
In the rain they will have a massive advantage so i´m hoping they are going for the front wheels and not rear wheels.

1098441_article_img_large1.jpg

While his Formula One hopes for this year may have faded away, Nick Heidfeld is poised to make a switch to sports car racing.

Team sources have indicated to SPEED.com that the 34-year-old has signed with Rebellion Racing for a partial season of the FIA World Endurance Championship.

Heidfeld will pilot one of the Anglo-Swiss squad’s Lola B12/60 Toyotas at the Twelve Hours of Sebring, Six Hours of Spa and 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Last week, the team confirmed its WEC participation with drivers Neel Jani, Nicolas Prost, Andrea Belicchi and Harold Primat for the eight-round global championship, with two final drivers to be announced.

Having spent the last 12 years in F1 with a variety of teams, including Prost, Sauber and Williams, Heidfeld was replaced by Bruno Senna mid-season at Renault, putting the German on the sidelines and questions looming over his 2012 plans.

While rumors had him taking up a new career in DTM, potentially with BMW, the Bavarian manufacturer completed its six-driver lineup earlier this month, leaving Heidfeld without a seat in the new-look touring car championship.

An official announcement of Heidfeld’s signing is expected to come on Feb. 2, when Rebellion's WEC entries will be likely confirmed by the ACO.

It's unclear who will take the sixth and final seat at Rebellion for the opening three rounds of the season.

source

"There are a lot of highspeed corners I didn't know before"

What has he been doing during his life so far? Incredible that Toyota puts a guy in the car who doesn't even know the track.

Any reason why he should know it? He´s never run the track in his life before, he´s been doing F1 for many years and before that i believe he ran in SuperGT in Japan so a track in france might not sit high on his "got to learn-list" as he never had a reason to learn it in the first place.

He´s a good driver though, maybe not top driver but for sure a top guy in Le Mans for next year.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 139 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 196 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 381 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 518 38.5%