england.png
Brands Hatch (GP) - Kent

20th / 21st October 2012
Round 28​
Round 29​
Round 30​

MG wants instant success

st_7862_b023.jpg

MG has said it will be aiming for wins immediately on its return to the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship in 2012.

The British-based manufacturer announced this morning (Weds) that double champion Jason Plato and Andy Neate will race its new MG6 GT model in the series under the MG KX Momentum Racing banner. It will be built to the BTCC’s latest turbocharged Next Generation Touring Car regulations by one of the most successful teams in the championship’s history, Triple Eight Race Engineering.

Triple Eight has just ten weeks to construct the cars before the BTCC grid lines up for its first three races of the new season at Brands Hatch in Kent on Sunday 1 April. Indeed, even less than that in order for them to run during the championship’s pre-season Media Day launch at Silverstone on Monday 19 March.

But it has a proven track record of delivering the goods. Between 2001 and 2009 Ian Harrison’s squad, based near Banbury, won 20 drivers, teams and manufacturers titles in the BTCC for Vauxhall (and added both the Independent teams and drivers trophies last year). That first crown in 2001 was won by Plato who, in one of two on-line videos posted by MG Motor UK, commented: “We’ve got a three-year programme here – that’s not to say we want to wait until ‘year three’ to win. The objective is to go out and challenge straight away.”

He added: “We’re convinced that we’re going to be winning races very soon. There’s a lot of work going on back at the factory at Triple Eight in terms of design, build and construction of all the key elements of the car.”

Harrison also added: “If I’m honest the car is a bag of bits at the moment. But by the time the first race comes along it will be complete. It’s a very exciting prospect and we have a very good combination of people from an engineering point of view and our drivers in the cockpit. The MG6 platform looks pretty good to us and I think we’ll deliver a car that looks the part and goes as well. Jason’s after his third championship, we’d like to add to our tally and I think we will.”

Meanwhile, Aylesbury-based Neate admitted he has no excuses in what will be his third season in Britain’s premier motor racing championship, having previously shown flashes of speed for privateer teams WSR and Arena. He said: “Jason is probably the most successful driver in touring cars and, with the most successful engineering team in BTCC history behind me, I haven’t got much of an excuse not to do well. I’ll try to push Jason as much as I can… what a benchmark to have. Being Jason’s team-mate was integral in deciding to join MG KX Momentum Racing for this year and it’s a fantastic opportunity.”

Here are the videos from the article

btcc.net

MG6 is an alright looking car, looks too much like a Vauxhall Insignia though, this must have been a tough decision for Plato as he is putting everything on the line for a new car in the BTCC even though it is with 888, things dont always go to plan

has anyone heard anything from RML Chevy and their 2012 BTCC plans, if any? Latest from Paul O'Neil Via facebook is that he is looking for a drive in the GT's for 2012, so im starting to think that 2012 may be a 'no go' for BTCC chevys? Gutted if this is the case, as it is such a good chassis.

Im glad to see MG back in the BTCC, fingers crossed that 888 deliver a strong enough car for JP to challenge for the title again this year, im sure that a world class team like 888 will give him the best possible oppertunities with the equipment they have

I always thought Silverline were Plato's sponsor, so I'm surprised that they are not on the MG. But on the other hand, good that there is not another sponsor logo on the car. When you compare it with the 2002 WSR MG's, this seasons car is unbelievably ugly.

For RML I think it depends if Alex's dad (ECM sponsorship) wants to open his pocket again. They must have brought a big part of the budget in the last two years. I've read a rumour that Thompson might be joining them, but it's just a rumour. RML has already lost one deal (Newton's LMP2 car) in the last weeks so I hope they can stay in the BTCC.

New Honda Civic "work of art"

st_7864_6792.jpg

Reigning Champion Matt Neal has called the new Honda Civic that he’ll use to defend his Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship crown in 2012 “a work of art”.

Pershore-based Team Dynamics, behind the Honda Racing Team’s hat-trick of titles in 2011 with the previous shape Civic, is building the car (pictured) to the BTCC’s latest Next Generation Touring Car regulations.
Having released fresh images today (Friday) of the car during its build process Worcestershire’s Neal admitted to btcc.net: “Those pictures are from a little bit back. The car is actually not far away from completion and it looks absolutely stunning. If it goes as well as it looks we’ll be right in the hunt.

“I’ve been in the BTCC 20 years now so you’d think I’d be a bit ‘same old, same old’ but this has got me so excited. Dynamics have always turned out fantastic cars but this time they’ve surpassed themselves. It’s a work of art. Just wait until the fans and media see this car.”

Meanwhile, Neal welcomed rivalry from MG which earlier this week announced its return to the BTCC in 2012 with its MG6 GT model. Two cars will be built and run by another multiple title-winning team, Triple Eight Race Engineering, for Neal’s arch rival Jason Plato and Andy Neate.

Neal added: “It’s brilliant to see another manufacturer coming into the BTCC. Good on them and well done to Jason for helping pull that deal together. Some people moan and groan about him but he’s one of the people who gets out there and does it.

“How they’ll get on, I don’t know. They’ve said they’re going for wins from the off – we did it with the Honda Integra first meeting out in 2005 and Triple Eight did it with the Astra (2001) and Vectra (2007)…
“It all depends how quickly they hit the sweet spot with the car. It’s the same for us with the Civic – we’re both running to the NGTC regulations for the first time. I know they are cracking on with it but I’m actually ignoring what everyone else is doing. I’m just focusing on what we’re doing so we’re as competitive as we can be at the first round. Me worrying about the others is not going to do us any favours.”

For more images of the Honda Racing Team’s new Civic being built in Team Dynamics’ workshops, visit the Official BTCC Facebook page by clicking this link www.***********/2vfv5wj
http://btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=2814
btcc.net

RML and Chevrolet will not take part in the 2012 BTCC season. The 2010 drivers' and manufacturers' champions will instead focus on their WTCC programme.
The manufacturer finished as the runner-up to Honda in last year's championship, with Jason Plato taking eight wins on his way to finishing third in the drivers' standings. In 2010, Plato won the drivers' title for the team with the Cruze.

"I would like to wish RML the very best for 2012, and thank our many fans for their support over the last two years," said Chevrolet UK Managing Director Mark Terry.

Jason Plato has recently left the team to take up a three year deal with Triple Eight Race Engineering with their new MG programme.

Chevrolet will continue with Rob Huff, Alain Menu and Yvan Muller in this year's WTCC where they will be fighting for a third consecutive title against new competition from Ford and SEAT.

"We understand Chevrolet's decision to concentrate its motorsport programme on the WTCC in 2012," said RML Managing Director George Lendrum.

"Despite the fact that we won't be involved in 2012, RML remain long term supporters of the BTCC and hope to be back in the future."

Source: Touringcartimes.com

This was expected as they don't have a car and it's 60 days away from Brands Hatch. The Cruze won't be even eligible to enter BTCC. But in the end it's not a giant loss as many think. Teams and manifactures come and gone - it is the cycle of the motorsport, you can't be in the motorsport forever.

RML and "Chevrolet" were purely funded by Plato, without Plato they have no budget for the season. Will be interesting to see if Bamboo make a comeback to BTCC with Mcdowell (has been suggested) and if Techspeed have put turbo lumps in their Cruzes

First look at Morgan Toyota

st_7870_05ea.jpg

btcc.net can reveal an artist’s impression of the Speedworks team’s striking Toyota Avensis that Ginetta GT Supercup champion Adam Morgan will race in his debut season in the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship this year.

The 23-year-old from Preston will race the car, built to the latest turbocharged 'Next Generation' regulations, as his prize for winning the Ginetta championship (that supports the BTCC) in 2011. Having generously put up the prize, Ginetta’s company colours are very much a part of the livery on the car.

Morgan will drive for Stockport-based Speedworks alongside Tony Hughes in another Avensis. An initial test is anticipated at the high speed Thruxton circuit in Hampshire later this month and Morgan said: “I have no illusions that it is going to be difficult for me in the BTCC – I am very inexperienced compared with the other drivers out there – but I want to give it everything.

“This is a huge chance and I still don’t think it has quite sunk in that I have won the biggest prize in British motor sport. I am over the moon to be here; it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity that has been handed to me.

BTCC.net

btcc12021801.jpg

Adam Morgan joined Tony Hughes for Speedworks Motorsport's second test of the week, this time at Donington Park, ahead of further testing next week where James Thompson will assist with the car's development.

Morgan spent most of the day in a front-wheel drive Renault Clio, as the Ginetta GT Supercup champion adapts himself to racing with a front-wheel drive car, trying out the Speedworks Motorsport Toyota Avensis later in the afternoon.

"I absolutely loved the Avensis," said Morgan. "I covered about 30 laps, not against the clock but just to get a feel for the car, and every lap I gained confidence and some pace. I'm very pleased with how things went."

The team will test next week at Brands Hatch, where two-time BTCC champion James Thompson will join the squad to help them work on the Next Generation Touring Car-specification Avensis.

"I can't wait for Brands Hatch," said Morgan. "The opportunity to work with James Thompson is just fantastic."

Source: touringcartimes.com

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back