2011 Season 1 Fmod Notes

Created this thread as I posted this in the 2011 Release Notes for Season 1 thread. This way we can just discuss Fmod in the thread.

link: http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1443216.page

The new build for 2011 Season 1 includes support for a new sound library, Fmod (as mentioned by the release notes, http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1443220.page ). This is considered an experimental feature; it does not yet significantly change how the sim sounds. It has some useful features:

- Surround sound works out of the box in Windows Vista and 7.

- May reduce crackling on some systems.

- Include an optional volume boost.

- Uses an additional core on CPUs with three or more cores.

However, it comes with caveats:

- It's stable on most of our tester's systems, but it causes occasional crashes on a few tester's systems.

- It crackles on a few tester's systems.

We're releasing this as a 'work in progress' feature for adventurous users. Your feedback is invaluable, so if you decide to use this, please take a moment to review our 'how to file a crash report' guide: http://www.answers-script.com/iracing/article.php?id=99

IF YOU USE THIS, TRY A FEW LARGE PRACTICE SESSIONS FIRST. BE AWARE THAT THIS MAY MAKE THE SIM CRASH TO DESKTOP. PLEASE REVIEW OUR 'HOW TO FILE A CRASH REPORT' GUIDE IF YOU USE THIS.

If you are using Creative's ALchemy software or equivalent to enable surround sound in Vista or 7, disable this for iRacing before trying Fmod. Fmod does not need this software, and using ALchemy can cause crashes when using Fmod.

To enable Fmod-related options, edit My Documents\iRacing\app.ini and add the line devSpeakerAllowFmod=1 to the [Audio] section. This will add Fmod options to the list of sound cards in the sim's Options / Sound. Select one of those sound cards to start using Fmod.

At any time, you can change your selection between Fmod and DirectSound devices. If you're in an important race, consider changing to DirectSound for the duration of the race.

When using a Fmod device, you can enable a volume boost by editing app.ini and adding compressor=1 to the [Audio] section. This will apply a small boost to the sim's volume, raising it to a typical level for Windows programs. This distorts the relative volumes of sounds a little; quiet sounds are boosted more than loud sounds.

For me with Fmod enabled, the sounds seem a bit louder and crisper than the last build. I did notice while watching my replay with the Skippy at Summit Point, that when I went off I could hear the sounds of the gravel more so than before. Probably something that you don't wanna hear while racing hehe. But something I've noticed with it so far.

Running optical out to Turtle Beach X41's (havent hooked up my shures or klipsch stuff yet). So far seems better surround, and maybe some reverb off of other cars. Definately an improvement, but will have to wait for final build. I'm getting crackling at the moment.

Have a Z-5500 and Beats By Dr.Dre Studio´s -W7-64
haven´t tried the Logitechs yet though,

I did notice crackling and other stuff like playing with the throttle (on, off)
You could hear the soundfile playing up when you touched the throttle.

Last turn at Watkins you could hear the engine gettin more affected by the G-forces etc.
Crash´s doesn´t sound as high which was strange, if you crash there should be a clear bang from it.

With it enabled it sounded like i had more immersion in terms of sound with a more distinct sound from each element like engine noise for example.

Can´t wait for the full version.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back