2011 Formula One Korean Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good race, another beatdown by Vettel. Hamilton had no answer, Webber proves his 2nd driver spot in the team, and what happened to Button? After all that talk in Japan they where all put in their place by the World Champ.

Good race, another beatdown by Vettel. Hamilton had no answer, Webber proves his 2nd driver spot in the team, and what happened to Button? After all that talk in Japan they where all put in their place by the World Champ.

I wouldn't say that pulling one move in the space of 55 laps against a car struggling with understeer can be classed as putting anyone in their place.

All it proves is that McLaren had the wrong race setup.

Alonso would've won the race had He not have been stuck behind Massa, in my opinion.

Vettel was absolutely desperate to get into P1 early, exactly the same as last week when he squeezed Jenson. The desperation he shows to hang on to or get that P1 early says to me he doesnt like to race anyone. Just an observation, may be wrong but thats the impression I get. He didn't really put anyone in their place now did he? This is F1 not boarding school.

Great job by Kovalainen to finish ahead of the Saubers.

I think he was also catching up to Senna at one point.

Here's an onboard (crap quality) of Alonso behind Petrov at about the 100m mark (how come the markers aren't on the side of the track with the racing line like every other corner in existence?). With the traffic ahead, it looks like Petrov didn't have any options of avoiding the collision, though Alonso did.
14605758h.jpg

I wouldn't say that pulling one move in the space of 55 laps against a car struggling with understeer can be classed as putting anyone in their place.

All it proves is that McLaren had the wrong race setup.

Alonso would've won the race had He not have been stuck behind Massa, in my opinion.

He wasn't really stuck behind him. When they passed Rosberg Massa outpaced Alonso (and closing up on Button). I guess they could see it at Ferrari if Alonso was faster and then they could tell Massa to let him by. Especially because Alonso is their No.1, and team orders are legal this season.
Alonso could only pass Massa because he stuck behind Sutil and Buemi after his 2nd pitstop. Then I guess he gave up (could have been very frustrating losing seconds like that, especially that he had to let 2 cars by at his first pitstop before he could start), but he put a nice lap at the end, so his best lap was better than Alonso's.

True but he did leave Massa for dead once he got passed.
There was no point in calling team orders as there was nothing left for Ferrari to try and achieve.

Vettel was absolutely desperate to get into P1 early, exactly the same as last week when he squeezed Jenson. The desperation he shows to hang on to or get that P1 early says to me he doesnt like to race anyone. Just an observation, may be wrong but thats the impression I get. He didn't really put anyone in their place now did he? This is F1 not boarding school.

The partisan fan syndrome strikes again. Good grief dude the goal in racing is to get in front of your opponent as soon as you can once the green light is on. You know if you are in front of your opponent you can run at your pace and don't run the risk of being slowed by your opponent's pace. Ask Lewis Hamilton if he would rather be in front or behind Vettel and he will tell you he would prefer to be ahead of the young German. If you think what Vettel did to Hamilton (one of the best drivers, in one of the best cars) on turn #4 was NOT racing then there is no hope. F1 Boarding School? Too funny ...

Button admitted in a post race interview that he just does not have a good handle on this Korean track. Sectors 2 and 3 are nothing but fast turns where the drivers are hitting 4-5 Gs on each turn lap after lap after lap. Jenson while an awesome talented race car driver is not young and I could not help but notice a lot of younger drivers did well in this race. Maybe it's because the younger guys could handle the Gs a little better than their older counterparts or maybe it was just pure coincidence.

The partisan fan syndrome strikes again. Good grief dude the goal in racing is to get in front of your opponent as soon as you can once the green light is on. You know if you are in front of your opponent you can run at your pace and don't run the risk of being slowed by your opponent's pace. Ask Lewis Hamilton if he would rather be in front or behind Vettel and he will tell you he would prefer to be ahead of the young German. If you think what Vettel did to Hamilton (one of the best drivers, in one of the best cars) on turn #4 was NOT racing then there is no hope. F1 Boarding School? Too funny ...

I wouldn't try to push so hard in the first lap knowing there was 55 left. Neither would a lot of other drivers. You could probably name them yourself. And if you think Hamilton defended the position in the slightest then, well, I don't really know what to say to that.

Anyway, I like Vettel, it worked for him and he won, as I said, just an impression that I got and I may be wrong. Keep ya knickers on.

I wouldn't try to push so hard in the first lap knowing there was 55 left. Neither would a lot of other drivers.

Hopefully those other drivers weren't:

1) Massa who passed Webber and then Button going into turn #3 of the first lap.

2) Webber who passed Button exiting turn #3 of the first lap.

3) Button who passed Webber going into turn #4 of the first lap.

4) Webber who passed Button and Massa exiting turn #4 of the first lap.

5) Alonso who passed Button on turn #6 of the first lap.

and that's just the top six drivers. Lot's more action going on in the mid field and at the back of the field. Yup Vettel sure is a reckless driver. No other drivers would ever dream of passing anyone on the first lap when there are 55 more laps to do your passing. :rolleyes:

Blame Vettel for racing in first place. That's just garbage from loosers. I guess that fastest lap in the final lap was icing on the cake for the haters.

Hang on sunshine. No one's blaming Vettel for winning the race. We're just saying that that's the only way he can win. It's been proven time and time again this season.

Great job by Kovalainen to finish ahead of the Saubers.

I think he was also catching up to Senna at one point.

Inthe last two laps he catched Senna by 6 seconds per lap. He said that just one lap more and he wouldv'e easily overpassed, he finished 1.9 seconds from Senna after all... Very good race from him, sadly BBC doesn't tell a lot of what's happening at the back and the Finnish F1 broadcast is expensive..

That's a bunch of crap. If you don't like him come right out and say it. He only did the best pass in the race, the pass for P1. The only thing that's been proven is that he gets the job done. You get paid to do a job with what they give you, if what you got is the fastest then you know what's your job, to be in front. Let's blame past WDC who had fast cars and won from the front that their wins where crap because they started in front, what a bunch of bull.

I'm not going to say I dislike Vettel, I think he's done a tremendous job at driving the fastest car on the grid, but he is not the best or most skillful racer on the grid.
I am not 'blaming him' as you say, for anything. I'm just saying he can only win races one way.
He will not silence critics until he has one or two championship-winning seasons that have been earned by fighting through the pack and not qualifying on pole and/or leading from the first lap.
He's pulled 2 overtaking moves in the space of 16 races, as opposed to Alonso's 23 or Button's 25 overtakes.

So yes, he is statistically the best driver in Formula One at the moment, but that does not mean he is the best racer on the grid.

That's not me being a 'hater', that is me seeing it for what it is.

Vettel is not the best driver out there, yes thats 100% true. But he's getting better and better every race weekend.. Remember how Alonso was pre 2005 and he he changed post 2006. Thats the progress. Vettel in 2010 made mistakes like hitting Webber in turkey and same thing with Button at Spa. But in 2011, the only mistake i can remember from him is when he missed the braking point and spun out in Nurburgring. Thats the progress and confidence after winning the championships from him. Thats really good to see from him.

Vettel is not the best driver out there, yes thats 100% true. But he's getting better and better every race weekend.. Remember how Alonso was pre 2005 and he he changed post 2006. Thats the progress. Vettel in 2010 made mistakes like hitting Webber in turkey and same thing with Button at Spa. But in 2011, the only mistake i can remember from him is when he missed the braking point and spun out in Nurburgring. Thats the progress and confidence after winning the championships from him. Thats really good to see from him.

I 100% agree.
If you're not exposed to that kind of pressure (wheel to wheel racing and traffic) very often, then it's going to be a weakness.
He is growing into a great great driver.
He's just not well-rounded enough yet.

Seemed to me that the RedBull had the stronger race pace whereas McLaren had the quali setup better.
Shown by Vettel who pulled and kept his gap and Webber who harrassed Hamilton for 1/2 the race.
Excelllent defending by Hamilton using his best asset the drive from turn 2 and (I think) 1 DRS pass to regain position.
In my view Webber would have got an undercut if he was pitted on another lap to Hamilton and made a gap. It was a tactical error and great defence not race pace that cost Webber P2.
Alonso's pace evolved and he was much more competitive at the end. Fuel loads, tyre deg, track evolution etc suited his car more later than earlier.
They were all great racing drivers doing a great race and working with what they were given. The RedBull would have struggled to pass McLaren due to its superior accelleration and speed with DRS.
If we want to debate about who is the best of all then Sebastien Loeb now there is a genius talent!
BTW all the above is just my opinion. Don't swear or call me names please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%