2011 British Touring Car Championship

if like me you follow him on twitter you will see just how much of a bad sportsman he really is sometimes. There is no doubt hes a damn good driver but in times when hes clearly been in the faster car you dont hear him complaining now do you.

He had a small point today however in that the Honda breezed passed him and the vauxhall like they were standing still on a straight. With same tire setups it shouldnt have been that easy even with great drive off the haripin. However like Matt neal said when its the other way round we just get on with it. Maybe Plato needs to shut up sometimes today was another one of those days

Plato is still moaning but I understand him. Look, how much Honda is faster than every other car? They won all four qualifying sessions and have 1-2 in championship! It's like Red Bull in F1 or Chevrolet in WTCC. We can predict that on the next track Hondas will be dominating too. Even when Matt started from back of the field he moved up to the top. I'm not saying that he is bad driver but if he would be in Chevy or Vauxhall, he wouldn't do that so easily. IMO Honda should be slowed down and then races will be more exciting and fight for the title won't be only between two drivers.

Jason Plato has ended Honda’s domination of qualifying in the Dunlop British Touring Car Championship with pole position in his Chevrolet at the Croft circuit in North Yorkshire this afternoon.

Reigning champion Plato set the pole time in 1m24.839s in his Silverline Chevrolet Cruze to grab top spot on the starting grid for the first of tomorrow’s three races. Matt Neal who leads the series was second in his Honda Racing Team Civic and Robert Collard third in his WSR BMW – Collard had looked set for the first pole of his BTCC career until his time was beaten by both Plato and Neal late on.

Raised in Newcastle Plato very much regards Croft as a home circuit and said: “I gave it the full berries there – just how a proper qualifying lap should be. But I’m aware my car has a fair bit less success ballast in it compared to Matt’s so let’s see how things play out tomorrow.

“Matt and I will need to make our cars pretty wide off the line because the BMW’s rear-wheel-drive gives it an advantage at the start and Rob will be feeling punchy.”

Worcestershire racer Neal, like Plato with two BTCC titles already to his name, added: “That was everything we’ve got – I could not have made the car go any quicker in qualifying. I’d prefer it to stay dry tomorrow – in wet conditions our turbo engine will chew up the wet weather tyres more than the normally aspirated cars.”

Collard, from Hampshire, commented: “I’m delighted to be third but still gutted not to get the pole – I really thought we’d got it then. Jason’s right about him and Matt needing wide cars at the start tomorrow – too right I’ll be trying to get past them into the first corner. Rain would be a bit of a saviour for us. I had the car on the ragged edge there in qualifying and can’t do that every lap tomorrow. If it’s wet then the BMW will be much closer to the Hondas and Chevrolets.”

The first of tomorrow’s three BTCC races from Croft takes place at midday. ITV Sport will be broadcasting all the day’s action live from 11.30pm-6.00pm on its ITV4 and ITV4 HD channels as well as online on the www.itv.com website.

Leading BTCC qualifying times, Croft Sat 18 June (provisional):
1. Jason Plato (GBR), Silverline Chevrolet/Chevrolet Cruze, 1m24.839s
2. Matt Neal (GBR), Honda Racing Team/Honda Civic, +0.372s
3. Robert Collard (GBR), WSR/BMW, +0.552s
4. Alex MacDowall (GBR), Silverline Chevrolet/Chevrolet Cruze, +0.708s
5. Andrew Jordan (GBR), Pirtek Racing/Vauxhall Vectra, +0.736s
6. James Nash (GBR), 888 Racing/Vauxhall Vectra, +0.817s
7. Gordon Shedden (GBR), Honda Racing Team/Honda Civic, +0.835s
8. Tom Chilton (GBR), Team Aon/Ford Focus, +0.981s
9. Mat Jackson (GBR), Airwaves Racing/Ford Focus, +1.089s
10. Paul O’Neill (GBR), GoMobileUK.com with tech-speed/Chevrolet Cruze, +1.152s

Attachments

• btcclogo.jpg
    btcclogo.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 6,512
Matt Neal and Mat Jackson shared the wins in today’s three Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship races at the Croft circuit in North Yorkshire where Robert Collard and his rookie team-mate Nick Foster were also stars of the show.

Former double champion Neal won the day’s first two races in his Honda Racing Team Civic but Jackson, the young pretender, struck back with victory in the third in his Airwaves Racing Ford Focus. As a result, Worcestershire’s Neal continues to lead the championship but Warwickshire’s Jackson, looking his most competitive yet in his fifth season in the BTCC, is a mere nine points adrift as the teams head into a seven-week summer break before the next three races of their season at Snetterton, Norfolk on 6-7 August.

btcc_logo.gifAfter a first corner spill for reigning champion Jason Plato who’d qualified on pole position in his Silverline Chevrolet Cruze, Neal led every lap in race one for the 40th victory of his career. But he was just 0.055s ahead of Jackson at the line as the latter’s gamble on tyre choice on a rapidly drying track enabled him to close right up at the end. Collard took third in his WSR BMW.

Despite his car carrying the maximum 45kgs of success ballast, Neal then impressively led all the way again in race two ahead of Collard and Staffordshire’s Andrew Jordan in his Pirtek Racing Vauxhall Vectra. Race three almost produced the shock of the season so far, however. Jackson ran out the winner but was under constant pressure throughout from Hampshire duo Foster and Collard who took second and third places. This was Foster’s first podium result in only his fifth BTCC event.

Neal said: “I thought we could get a podium or two here but two wins is a dream come true. Seventh in race three means more points and they are very important – that lad Jackson is putting up a real fight and we would be very naïve to underestimate him in the second half of the season.”

Jackson, from Henley in Arden, added: “Second place followed by a fifth in race two and then victory in race three are great results for us but boy those BMWs made me fight for it! Our win in race three was vital as it’s kept us right in touch with Neal and gives everyone in the team an extra lift as we go into the break.”

Meanwhile Honda/Dynamics and the Honda Racing Team have extended their respective leads in the Manufacturer/Constructor and HiQ Teams championships. Jackson now tops the independent drivers’ standings ahead of Jordan and 888 Racing with Collins Contractors’ James Nash who had led the table arriving at Croft. Jackson’s Airwaves team has also assumed the lead of the Independent Teams Championship.

Elsewhere, the BTCC has accepted an apology from Jason Plato for comments he made during ITV’s live coverage at Oulton Park a fortnight ago. It has therefore decided not to proceed with referring the matter to the championship’s stewards.

Sportsdesks: image shows Matt Neal leading the pack at Croft circuit today on his way to the second of his two wins. Click here for a copyright-free hi-res version.

For full Croft race reports, results and more copyright-free hi-res imagery visit the BTCC’s official website www.btcc.net

2011 Dunlop BTCC Drivers’ Points after Croft (round 5 of 10):
1. Matt Neal, 140pts
2. Mat Jackson, 131
3. Gordon Shedden, 120
4. Andrew Jordan, 111
5. James Nash, 104
6. Jason Plato, 100
7. Robert Collard, 66
8. Tom Chilton, 64
9. Alex MacDowall, 47
10. Paul O’Neill, 32

Manufacturers/Constructors’ Points:
1. Honda/Dynamics, 322
2. Chevrolet/RML, 249
3. Arena/Ford, 209

HiQ Teams’ Points:
1. Honda Racing Team, 239
2. Silverline Chevrolet, 139
3. Airwaves Racing, 127
4. Pirtek Racing, 122
5. 888 Racing with Collins Contractors, 115
6. WSR, 92

Independent Drivers’ Points:
1. Mat Jackson, 160
2. Andrew Jordan, 145
3. James Nash, 139
4. Tom Chilton, 99
5. Robert Collard, 93
6. Paul O’Neill, 61

Independent Teams’ Points:
1. Airwaves Racing, 164
2. Pirtek Racing, 156
3. 888 Racing with Collins Contractors, 148
4. WSR, 118
5. Team Aon, 116
6. GoMobileUK.com with tech-speed, 79

*All points remain provisional

ok, circuit looks good and has some nice corners in it. Some of the normal overtake positions have gone but i doo like it.

one thing from the race though that i'm surprised has been no comment about is the race 1 incident with plato and neal.

now - neal is by no means mr clean but i think plato was very lucky there. the stewards have penalised him 3points and a fine for the move which spun neal around but baulked at DSQ or grid place drops on him which does stink a bit. in my opinion the move was dangerous as spinning an opponents car around infront of the full pack was crazy. i know plato was concerned about the turbos getting the jump on him but there should have been a lift there rather than keeping pushing. interested to know if this is just me or were others as shocked as i was?

anyway, the only positive you can see as a spectator is that we have a closer competition again. :)

We have seen countless times Neal get away with things like that in previous seasons with no penalty whatsoever. IMO Neal is worse for it, although I haven't seen the Plato-Neal incident yet.

Track looked good from tv but the rubbish driving of BTCC drivers let it down. They need to be given a right stern talking to because it takes the mick at the moment. And Plato's move was a blatant arsey Plato style move, he has no respect for his fellow competitors and tbh Matt Neal this season whenever he has had to pass Plato has done it cleanly. Plato did deserve more than 3 points and a £500 fine for what he did because if Matt had been hit by any of them cars when he was turned round then that would have probably been season over from injury. Thing that got me though is that Plato had the cheek to moan about being pushed wide by 4 cars in the turn 1 hairpin in the 2nd race.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 299 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 208 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 150 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 265 13.6%