2011 American Le Mans Series

I'm sorry but that is such an ignorant thing to say. Are you saying now that paddles have been introduced into the Corvette, any random driver from the street can jump into it and set lap records? Absolutely not, the car still requires as much skill to drive and control, look at and F1 car, no sequential gear stick there, yet the greatest racing drivers on the planet are racing there, it's hard to see your point if I'm honest.

You do have direct input, it's not like they've swapped to automatic's or soemthing, the drivers still need to change gear at the right time, control the steering wheel the same way (just with one more hand) and accelerate and brake and clutch accordingly, to say that's like drving a taxi, is just ridiculous.

Let's put it this way, would you rather the Corvette's come stone dead last every race, but the drivers have an "experience" or would you want them at the front, winning races for the fans like yourself who watch the series every year. As Rhys said, it's about progress, and changes like this will improve the car, and not take away the skill required to drive the car.

Let me break-down your Post so as to form a coherent response:

1) First off, a Driver in the F1 Series is not, I repeat not, any more skilled than any other driver in thier respective disciplines. Just because F1 uses 'different' technologies does not infer that all disciplines, "need to play catch-up." Second, I can guarantee you that even the 'Drivers' will not be setting any sort of Records because, while Paddles are more efficient, they are not optimal. The computer shuts-off the fuel at rpm so a Driver cannot tweak shift-points according to roll-out.

2) The 'Taxi' remark was a euphenism for the lack of connection made to a vehicle by limiting a sense of control and achievement. For example, two clutchless cars drag racing. One car Wins, no one was out-driven.

3) Ask the Fans and Drivers that question. Corvette owners whooped and hollared when the 'Vettes Won. Because there had always been a direct link between street-machine and race-prepped vehicle. This is not "progress." It is a dissolution of an iconic car.

I have no intention of arguing over which is better. I am stating that Doug Fehan is potentially harmful to the Corvette team and possibly the franchise. His 'spirit' is not in the Game and certainly not with Corvette.

A sequential stick (and, to an extent, an H-shift method) is no different to paddles, Damien. The only difference is that the driver does not take one hand off the wheel to shift, and the clutch does not need to be used as much... In sims, I have driven the same car with an H-pattern clutch shift method, the sequential stick and the paddles, and compared the feel of it. I didn't feel any less involved with the paddles, and it was still as much of a challenge to run competitive times.

If I may add something else - I believe that as long as the Corvette exists, there will be people running it in different seres to the ALMS without the paddles. The ALMS is not the be-all and end-all of championships the Corvette competes in.

The clutch wasn't ever required for shifts anyway. Main reason they used it was they right foot brake to save a bit of fuel and it puts less load on the transmission than rev matching does.

Not sure if this new system actually blips the throttle for you or if you still have to rev match/use the clutch. Either way it means the cars will be more reliable one they get it all setup properly. Its a very small difference really, all you do is pull a paddle rather than a lever.

To be honest I cant really see your point as they used to use TC in GT1 which I'd say is much worse than using paddles when you're talking about how involved the drivers are. Note they use power steering too, you going to stop supporting them for that? Maybe also remove all of the electronics for the dash too as it makes it easier for the driver, and maybe remove the air con so the cockpit gets to stupidly high temperatures as that'll clearly make them better drivers.

Flying Lizards Porsche jumps on the bumps and washes out into the Factory Corvette which spins and shunts the Extreme Speed F458 Italia into the wall. (A lot of money went up in smoke there.)

The Clutch was needed to down-shift and Pratt-Miller disconnected the TCS to justify an increase in displacement, seeing as the Corvette runs on E70R rather than standard race-fuel. Power-steering in of no real consequence, in fact it adds wieght. You should've read earlier Posts as to why I no longer support Team-Corvette as long as Doug Fehan is allowed to continue his nonesense.

I wouldn't name dependability just yet, the BMW just glitched the tranny and Mag'gy was spun by P. Long - better car control there, eh?

Let me quote you Mr. Fehan:
["We had some bumps but the guys really pulled it together this morning, taking 2nd in Qualifying."]

^^^ Read as: 'I don't know what I'm doing and the Boys' really pulled my B**ls out of the Fire!'

BTW, my Wife is bloody furious. She's loved Corvettes since she was 15 yrs old.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 358 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 252 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%