2010 World Touring Car Championship

Tom Coronel gets championship winning SEAT Leon TDI for WTCC

5 February 2010

When the new 2010 season of the FIA World Touring Car Championship kicks off at Curitiba (Brazil) on March 7, Tom Coronel will be present once again. As in the past five years Coronel will drive a SEAT, but for this year the reigning champion of the Yokohama Independents Trophy gets a nice promotion. For the first time the 37 year old Dutchman will have a SEAT Leon TDI at his disposal, the car with which SEAT has won both drivers and manufacturers championships for the last two years. "I always said that I wanted to have a diesel car. At last I managed to get one. With this car we can fight for podium places on a regular basis", Tom Coronel said enthusiastically. The SEAT Leon TDI will be entered by the Spanish SUNRED Engineering team that has prepared the SEAT Leon for Tom Coronel and SEAT Team Holland for the last two years. Coronel's teammate will be no other than reigning FIA WTCC champion Gabriele Tarquini.
T.Coronel-race car01.jpg
"It is fantastic to be in one team with Tarquini. The World Champion and the winner of the privateer championship together in one team, it can't be better, can it?" Tom Coronel is obviously optimistic on the eve of his sixth year in the top class of touring car racing. He as all good reasons for it, after all since its debut in Anderstorp in 2007 no less than 21 out of the 58 races were won by a SEAT Leon TDI. In 2008 Frenchman Yvan Muller won the World Championship, while Italian Gabriele Tarquini took the title in 2009, both drove a SEAT Leon TDI and in both years SEAT took the manufacturers title.
Team mates 67.jpg
Tom Coronel is supported in his WTCC campaign by his loyal partners McGregor and TW Steel. Also Dutch SEAT importer Pon Car will support Tom Coronel and his SEAT Leon TDI in the FIA WTCC. "With this package I have a better chance than ever to score. I can't wait for the season to start", Coronel said. This year the championship will be held over 12 weekends with 2 races each. A new event to the calendar is the race at Zolder on 20 June. While the track of Portimão takes over from the Porto street circuit on 4 July.
T.Coronel-03.jpg
2010 FIA WTCC KALENDER
7 March: Curitiba, Brazil
11 April: Puebla, Mexico
2 May: Marrakech, Morocco
23 May: Monza, Italy
20 June: Zolder, Belgium
4 July: Portimão, Portugal
18 July: Brands Hatch, Great Britain
1 August: Brno, Czech Republic
5 September: Oschersleben, Germany
19 September: Valencia, Spain
31 October: Okayama, Japan
21 November: Macau, China
http://www.tomcoronel.nl/english/index_en.html

wtcc10020401.jpgBamboo Engineering will leave the British Touring Car Championship after only one season and move to the World Touring Car Championship instead. The team will also continue with its lead driver Harry Vaulkhard aswell as sportscar driver Darryl O'Young.

"We are sad to be leaving the BTCC" said Team Principal Richard Coleman, "But this was too good an opportunity to miss."

"We have a great driver line up; Harry had the measure of Michel Nykjaer, Franz Engstler, and others at the ETCC so I see no reason why he cannot build on that. Darryl is a huge talent, and has been very highly recommended from big names in sports cars. Once adapted to front-wheel drive I expect he will be a regular podium contender in the Independents."

Vaulkhard is more then happy to have sorted out his 2010 plans.

"I am glad to have everything sorted for 2010 and with my first choice of team, Bamboo. I'm sad to leave the BTCC and will miss the amazing fans, but career wise I am still learning and have a fantastic opportunity in front of me. The WTCC is where I've always aspired to be some day but to be honest this has come sooner than I expected. I have learnt so much in 2009, I am really confident I can get some great results in 2010."

Canadian born, Hong-Kong driver Darryl O'Young, who will switch from mainly racing Porsche's, is looking forward to the challenge.

"I am really looking forward to the challenge, the WTCC is a great series and I am proud to join Bamboo Engineering. We can't wait to get started in Brazil, the Chevrolet has a great WTCC pedigree and I'm sure we can challenge at every event."

Source | touringcartimes.com

tc10wt01.jpg
2009 FIA WTCC Independents’ Trophy winner Tom Coronel will switch to a SEAT León TDI for the new season. After four years at the wheel of petrol-powered SEAT Leó
n cars, the 37-year-old Dutchman announced today he will drive a turbodiesel machine run by SUNRED Engineering.
[PRBREAK][/PRBREAK]
"I always said I wanted to have a diesel car. At last I managed to get one. With this car we can fight for podium places on a regular basis,"
said Coronel.

tc10wt03.jpg

2010 will also mark his third season with the Spanish team. "We have developed a great relationship. Of course they have close ties with SEAT Sport and their workshop is just around the corner. Therefore we have the opportunity to benefit from full technical support. With this package I have better chances than ever to score. I can't wait for the season to start!" Coronel concluded.

Source | fiawtcc.com

I like it, and I'm very happy he finally got an official SEAT (yes, I know seat left the championship, and that's why SUNRED, that has his factory 100 meters far from SEAT SPORT one in Martorell is now the official SEAT team ;) )

wtcc10021101.jpg

According to BMW driver Augusto Farfus's Twitter he will race the first round injured. He sustaind a leg injury during the pre-season training.

After first making people scared that he would need a 4 month long recovery he addressed that statement with it only means he will not be able to run during that time. Instead he will have to focus on riding his bike and swimming.

From Farfus's Twitter:

"Good Morning! I just want to clarify that my injury is NOT serious, and doesn't affect at all my racing activities. And I will be (in) 100% shape."

Source | touringcartimes.com

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back