2010 Nations Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps a little bit of guidance from senior staff would have been better than accusing Ross (who is only 15yrs old) of lacklustre preparation, he (and the rest of the team) have done an exceptional job in the previous 2 seasons and should be encouraged to continue with this league rather than use words like failure and demise.

16 years old :)
David has right, the previous leagues where amazing. The staf did a great job

Keith, thanks for the input man, but you actually don't know the full story

The mod was made with some issues, and some skins needed fixing, I didn't have the 2nd round of skins that needed fixed until the Wednesday I think, giving no time at all to prepare a server test, so I told the guy I entrusted to set-up a server on Friday night, which he said he was half way through when I last spoke to him on the Friday night. I woke up on Saturday thinking it was all good, I still checked if the server was there, PMed him - went to football, came back - PMed him again (I was only online here for 3minutes as I had to quickly get ready to go to a party which has been organised on the Tuesday so I had no idea this would happen after Round One)
So to pile the blame on me is quite unfair.
Also, I had given "this person" everything there was to do with the mod via PM on the Wednesday, so there was no possible way there could be a server issue, and there wasn't an issue with the server - because it was never put up. There were failings on my side I admit, but to blame me almost wholly on this doesn't seem right. As League Manager I have to apologize to the racers on the leagues behalf, but all that went wrong in preparing for this league was a lack of a server that was promised, I have said it about 10times but I don't think it's quite got through to you yet.

I'm sorry guys, unfortunately there will be no race again tonight, the server keeps crashing with the files I installed for the skinpack.

There are no moderators from the league around, so I cant back them up as I dont have the full information.

@Ross

This post says it all.

Stop passing off taking responsibility for your lack of preparation. I you had all the files you needed Wednesday, why did you not at least put up a test server (either yourself or rd) and ensure it starts and people can connect.

No matter whT you sAy or think you cannot deny responsibility for this.

I don't see why you keep bringing this back up again?
I gave the files to the person who was setting the server up, not anyone else. I have no server rights, so got someone else to put it up, and he didn't. Do I need to draw you a nice little picture for you to understand this?

I don't see why you keep bringing this back up again?
I gave the files to the person who was setting the server up, not anyone else. I have no server rights, so got someone else to put it up, and he didn't. Do I need to draw you a nice little picture for you to understand this?

You couldve hosted a dedicated server on your PC to see if the server would load.

You then have 1 person attempt to connect to the server. If all works, then you know there is no issue.

The files you provided were ON THE SERVER when Remco went to start it. This means the mod DID NOT WORK.

Stop blaming others. You did not do the necessary testing to ensure these problems wouldnt arise, and that is the reason this happened. PERIOD.

I wont sit around while you pass off the blame to others who volunteer to help you out with a server free of charge, when it is clearly noones fault but your own.

Keith I think the mod was tested and it worked, otherwise Ross wouldnt use it... but dunno what went wrong when setting up the server by RD and Ross unfortunately wasnt there to solve it and that was the main issue which I see...

but I think this really goes nowhere

Keith I think the mod was tested and it worked, otherwise Ross wouldnt use it... but dunno what went wrong when setting up the server by RD and Ross unfortunately wasnt there to solve it and that was the main issue which I see...

but I think this really goes nowhere

It was because the skins were added to the mod, and untested, resulting in crashes.

Keith, thanks for the input man, but you actually don't know the full story

The mod was made with some issues, and some skins needed fixing, I didn't have the 2nd round of skins that needed fixed until the Wednesday I think, giving no time at all to prepare a server test,

the test was meant to happen the week before when I had half term break. I said after the first event it needed to be that week.

so I told (the guy) Dave I entrusted to set-up a server on Friday night, which he said he was half way through when I last spoke to him on the Friday night.

I said I was doing it now not halfway through. when I got on the server steam was trying to check its game caches which cant happen while rooms are open. ATCC was underway at the time and broadcasting so it was not an option to set it up then.

I woke up on Saturday thinking it was all good, I still checked if the server was there, PMed him - went to football, came back - PMed him again (I was only online here for 3minutes as I had to quickly get ready to go to a party which has been organised on the Tuesday so I had no idea this would happen after Round One) So to pile the blame on me is quite unfair.

I had to be in Nottingham, I didn't know until until Friday, I was supposed to leave a message to ask someone to put it up but I forgot. It was late and I was tired. i made a mistake. That's life. Since your still calling me 'this person' in the thread I assume you didn't see my previous post where I apologised, told everyone it was me, and invited anyone that wanted to discuss it further to PM me.

Also, I had given "this person" everything there was to do with the mod via PM on the Wednesday, so there was no possible way there could be a server issue, and there wasn't an issue with the server - because it was never put up. There were failings on my side I admit, but to blame me almost wholly on this doesn't seem right. As League Manager I have to apologize to the racers on the leagues behalf, but all that went wrong in preparing for this league was a lack of a server that was promised, I have said it about 10times but I don't think it's quite got through to you yet.

No-one is blaming you wholly. We're both at fault. I freely admit my wrong doings. they can't be changed now, so I have no idea why this thread continues to rumble on. I think you need to accept your part in this. If you know you play football on a Saturday, why organise a league for then? when one of the Race staff has to be away from one of their events the last thing they do before leaving is ensure they have entrusted their duties to someone who will definitely be there. since you had no response from me there was nothing stopping you contacting one of the other 20 staff we have.

The server is not 'all that went wrong' as you stated, the lack of any league staff being present in anyway is something being wrong too.

three people tried to get your mod going on the server and failed. its not like the people who tried don't do it every day either. to this day I still don't understand why you didn't just run skins. there's a reason everyone just runs skins. they do it because it's simple, It doesn't break, and they can be optional for drivers who don't want to put the extra fluff into their game installs.

All in all, this thread is solving nothing. Just everyone work out where things went wrong and learn from it. Hell I make mistakes, I do so on a regular basis. I stretch myself thin, I do to much and it breeds mistakes sometimes. But that's life, I live and I learn. So should you. don't take this as a personal attack on you as its not. there is just nothing we can do about it now. what's done is done.

I request that whoever has the power to reinstate Ross' league consider the lessons learned here and reconsider cancelling the League, on the proviso that its something that happened and I'm pretty sure it won't happen again.

I'm not involved in the league and won't be, but so many people and so much effort has gone in that I think this should be put behind you all as a learning experience, the axe should be well and truly buried and you should all go back to running great events as a TEAM with the enthusiam and commitment you all have, and not let one, relatively minor glitch, on the scale of RD's day to day activities sour that....

Yeah mate, I'm very very busy with GCSE's and stuff this year, I will consider re-starting for a 2011/2012 season, only if I get 2 or 3 fully committed guys behind me :) Was a mis-communication, I learned from it so I'm hoping we can put this behind us and move on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%