2010 Grand Prix motorcycle racing

Ben Spies talks ‘dream’ first pole position

By Matthew Birt -MCN
MotoGP
29 August 2010 10:31

Ben Spies said his first MotoGP pole position was a ‘dream’ after he produced an outstanding qualifying performance on home soil at Indianapolis.
The Texan’s already impressive rookie campaign got even better when a lap of 1.40.105 secured him a stunning maiden pole position in baking hot conditions at the world famous Indianapolis track.

The reigning World Superbike champion first jumped to the top of the timesheets with 12 minutes remaining when he surged up the leaderboard from ninth.
Jorge Lorenzo and Nicky Hayden relegated him back down to third spot. But his brilliant lap in the final two minutes saw him edge out Spaniard Lorenzo by 0.220s.
Spies became the first non-factory rider to claim a pole position since Monster Yamaha Tech 3 team-mate Colin Edwards topped qualifying in Shanghai in 2008.

And Spies, who will replace Valentino Rossi in Yamaha’s factory squad next season, said: “It's a dream. To have a pole position at any time in MotoGP is great and to be able to do it in the first season on the Monster Tech 3 bike in front of the American crowd, it's great.
"It's kind of ticked all the boxes this weekend. I’ve just not got to get ahead of myself.
"The conditions were difficult with the track, not just because it was hot, but a lot of sliding around. It gets greasy and through a couple of the turns you're almost kind of twiddling your thumbs, spinning the bike and playing around with it.

"It was difficult for everybody. We put together a good lap. It wasn't the most perfect lap in the world, but we finally didn't make too many mistakes.
"Like I said, it gives us confidence for the race, but we've also got to find some more race pace. These guys are going fast. So we'll try to get a good start to stay there in the first few laps and try not to make mistakes and see what happens.”

Spies only scored his first front row start at the Brno circuit in the Czech Republic earlier this month and he admitted that final confirmation of his move to the factory Yamaha squad in 2011 had eased some pressure.
He said: “It kind of took the pressure off with the announcement on Friday and just knowing what's going on. I really want to repay the Tech 3 team because they've helped put me in a place to be there.
"To be able to get a pole for them and hopefully end the season good and keep being consistent and progress is what I’m looking at. But we'll just savour the moment right now and try to put a hard 45 minutes and see what happens in the race.”

Asked if he could contemplate winning the race and becoming the first non-factory rider to be victorious in MotoGP since Toni Elias snatched a last gasp win over Valentino Rossi at Estoril in 2006, the 26-year-old added: “There were a bunch of boxes to be ticked this year, but the problem is there's really only one left. We've had top fives, a podium and now a pole.
"I mean, why not? You always go for it. A racer is there to win but it's not always to be had.
"If we get a good start we've got to hang in there, and if we're there we'll try to win the race. We won't be thinking of that the first few laps, we'll just try to stay clean, and a good start's really key here with the first lap and first few turns.

"Just try to be consistent and give him (Jorge) a race at least. If we don't he's going to be having a cappuccino with two races to go and not even going to be here.”

Dani Pedrosa romps to easy win

By Matthew Birt -MCN
MotoGP
29 August 2010 21:04

Dani Pedrosa made amends for his crash out of the lead in last year’s Indianapolis MotoGP today, the Spaniard romping to his third win of 2010 at the historic American venue.
Pedrosa’s crushing victory never looked in doubt once he disposed of the fast starting Ben Spies on lap seven.

Starting from fifth on the grid, the Repsol Honda rider failed to make one of his trademark quick getaways but was quickly able to seize third place from Nicky Hayden on lap two.
He needed just two more laps to sweep by factory Honda team-mate Andrea Dovizioso to claim second before he embarked on a ruthless pursuit of Spies.

The Monster Yamaha Tech 3 rider had made a blistering start having claimed his first premier class pole position in stunning fashion yesterday.
The 26-year-old produced an aggressive first few laps to comfortably stretch away from the fast starting Dovizioso in second and on lap four he held an advantage of nearly a second over Pedrosa.
But the triple world champion then produced a devastating series of laps to break Spies' dogged determination.

The 24-year-old passed Spies on lap seven and immediately took out 0.6s on the reigning World Superbike champion.
Spies was trying desperately to stay in contention but he simply had no answer to Pedrosa's relentless charge.

The race was pretty much over as a contest on lap ten when a lap of 1.40.896 saw him increase his advantage by a second on home favourite Spies, the gap extending to nearly three seconds.
Pedrosa eventually won by an easy margin of over with Spies claiming his career best result and second podium finish of his impressive rookie campaign.

It was still a brilliant performance from Spies, his second place bettering his third position at the British Grand Prix at Silverstone in late June and he was top Yamaha rider for the first time in his career.
That was because Jorge Lorenzo suffered his worst result of the season, the red-hot title favourite finishing in a distant third.
He never looked like protecting his record of never finishing outside of the top two as a sluggish start left him fifth at the end of the opening lap.
He moved by a fast fading Hayden on lap three to take fourth but he needed another nine laps to fight his way by Dovizioso into third spot.

Pedrosa’s victory at least reduced Lorenzo’s huge points lead by nine-points, though the Fiat Yamaha rider still holds a comfortable advantage of 68-points with seven rounds remaining.
Valentino Rossi ended a tough weekend in a lonely fourth after he’d crashed three times in total. The Italian crashed again in this morning’s warm-up session and he could never seriously haul himself into podium contention in another dull 28-lap encounter.

Dovizioso was fifth but a massive 21 seconds behind Pedrosa and not one rider in the top six was within three seconds of each other.
Hayden’s hopes of claiming a third successive Indianapolis podium to celebrate his new two-year Ducati contract were over early in the contest as he limped home in a distant sixth.
Highlighting how uninspiring the race was, Hayden was sixth but 35 seconds behind the winner with 51 seconds covering the top ten.

Aussie Casey Stoner’s winless streak continued and he’s now not won for 12 races.
A shocking start left the factory Ducati ride down in ninth place at the end of lap one but he clawed his way into the top six with a pass on team-mate Hayden on lap six.
But just two laps later he crashed out, once again losing the front-end of his factory GP10 while he attempted to chase down reigning world champion Rossi.
Stoner’s blunder saw him surrender third place in the championship with Dovizioso’s fifth moving him seven-points clear of the 2007 world champion.

Stoner's complained about the track the entire weekend. Then, he threw away his final lap during qualifying because he was so annoyed by 2 riders who were trying to get a tow from him. He made a bad start and instead of making the most of it, he crashed out while chasing Rossi. It was a pretty poor showing.

Nobody had an answer for Pedrosa. The Honda engine just blew past the Yamaha.

Spies is the real deal. As Rossi said Lorenzo is going to have his own Lorenzo in the garage next year.

Dani Pedrosa makes ominously fast start

By Matthew Birt -MCN
MotoGP
03 September 2010 18:02

Dani Pedrosa’s hopes of exerting more pressure on Jorge Lorenzo at the top of the MotoGP world championship got off to the perfect start in Misano today after a brilliant practice performance from the Spaniard.
The 24-year-old was untouchable at the top of the timesheets this afternoon as he easily defeated the field in warm but breezy conditions.
Pedrosa’s best lap of 1.34.772 was a massive 0.612s clear of Repsol Honda team-mate Andrea Dovizioso as he continued the dominant form that carried him to an easy win in Indianapolis five days ago.
Pedrosa’s third win of the season in America cut Lorenzo’s title lead to 68-points and with the Fiat Yamaha rider struggling again today, Pedrosa said: “It’s been really a good start here in Misano compared to last year and I'm very happy about that.
"We are coming from a strong result at the last race and it's important to keep the momentum going, which we have done so far. But we need to remain very concentrated and focused because we still have some areas to improve, and I'm sure our rivals will also go quicker tomorrow.
"Our pace has been quite fast today and Andrea is close to the front as well, so this is a good sign for the team. Here the grid positions are very important again because the first corner is close to the start and it’s a tight bend.
"Because of this we need to make sure we have a good pace tomorrow so that we can qualify well, and also so that we are ready for another long and tough race.
"I can say this was one of my best Friday practices, but I'm not going to relax at all.”
Dovizioso’s fastest lap of 1.35.384 secured him second from Lorenzo by just 0.060s and the Italian said: “I’m happy with the work done during this session and I’m satisfied to be second.
"Six-tenths behind Dani is quite a big gap but I think we have the opportunity to close this. At the end I was able to improve my lap times with the tyres I used for the whole session, so I’m confident we can move forward tomorrow.
"I think everyone was struggling for grip today and it was easy to lose the front, but we found a set-up solution that was effective to help with this so we’ll continue working in that direction tomorrow.
"Tyre selection for the race will be very important, and both the harder and softer option Bridgestones look like possible choices at the moment.”

Attachments

• pedrosa.jpg
    pedrosa.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 297
Dani Pedrosa storms to pole position

By Matthew Birt -MCN
MotoGP
04 September 2010 18:06

Dani Pedrosa produced a blistering final lap to claim his fourth pole position of the 2010 MotoGP campaign in Misano this afternoon.
The Spaniard had already moved back to the top of the timesheets in the final five minutes when he ensured his second pole position in the last three races was secure with a stunning last lap of 1.33.948.
Pedrosa led compatriot and title rival Jorge Lorenzo by just 0.187s when he logged his quickest time on his final and 28th lap.
His time moved him a comfortable 0.423s clear of the field but Fiat Yamaha rider Lorenzo was still out on track on his final flying lap.
But the 23-year-old, who leads Pedrosa in the world championship by 68-points going into tomorrow’s 12th round, could only muster a best of 1.34.256. That cut the gap to Pedrosa to 0.308s with Lorenzo securing second spot on the grid from Aussie Casey Stoner by 0.141s.
The factory Ducati rider produced a fine performance after he’d suffered another confidence draining front-end crash with 20 minutes elapsed on the clock.
The 24-year-old had just moved to the top of the timesheets when he lost the front-end of his GP10 machine as he reverted back to a set of 2009 Ohlins front forks today.
He walked away unhurt and recovered well to clock a best time of 1.34.397 to secure his first front row start since the Laguna Seca clash in America in late July.
Stoner’s best time denied Valentino Rossi his first front row start since returning from the broken right leg he suffered in Mugello earlier this year.
Fourth place on the grid though is still Rossi’s best qualifying performance in the five races since making his injury comeback and he was tantalisingly close to thrilling home fans with a top three.
The 31-year-old ended with a best time of 1.34.470 to finish just 0.073s behind 2007 world champion Stoner.
Rossi could so easily have been relegated to fifth though with Texan Ben Spies producing another dazzling qualifying display.
Bidding for his third successive front row start, Spies was in the top three with 20 minutes remaining.
But despite his best efforts he couldn’t repeat his Indianapolis heroics where he claimed a stunning career first pole position.
The reigning World Superbike champion ended with a best time of 1.34.472 to finish just 0.002s behind Rossi’s factory Yamaha YZR-M1 in fifth.
Frenchman Randy de Puniet completed the top six but the big surprise of today’s session was the disappointing performance of Nicky Hayden.
The American could only qualify his GP10 machine in 14th place on the grid with a 1.35.303 over 1.3s off top spot.

Shoya Tomizawa, winner of the first ever Moto2 race in Qatar back in April succumbed to his injurie he suffered in a crash during the Misano Grand Prix today. He was such a young talented rider and i think would of been a future world champion...R.I.P Shoya....:frown: :beer:

Attachments

• 2010-06-GP-Assen-04164.jpg
    2010-06-GP-Assen-04164.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 253
I saw the accident on youtube afterwards and it looked very bad.
Also this weekend 13-year old roadracing driver Peter Lenz died at Indianapolis Motorspeedway in a 125 race.
It is a really black weekend for roadracing with two young talents passing away.

Rest in Peace Peter and Shoya, you'll both always be remembered!

I was shocked when they announced Shoya had perished at the end of the MotoGP race. Like anyone else that saw the accident, I knew it was very bad, but they kept saying that he was fine during the Moto2 race, which made it that much worse when they announced his death. What a shame, just 19 years old. You could really see the grief in Jorge and Danny's face after the race.

Stoner snatches Aragon pole.

Reuters - Sat, 18 Sep 14:06:00 2010

The Ducati rider was fastest in morning free practice and maintained the edge in qualifying to take his second pole of the season, with a time of one minute 48.942 seconds.
Championship leader Lorenzo was 0.309 of a second off the pace, just ahead of in-form Spanish compatriot Pedrosa.

An error on his final lap denied Pedrosa a possible pole as the Honda rider guns for a third consecutive Grand Prix win, following victories in Indianapolis and San Marino.
The second row of the grid was taken by Americans Nicky Hayden and Ben Spies, with Frenchman Randy de Puniet sixth.
World champion Valentino Rossi, who is struggling with a shoulder injury, heads up the third row.
Yamaha's Lorenzo tops the championship standings by 63 points from Pedrosa with six races left.

Attachments

• l4726150.jpg
    l4726150.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 250
Stoner triumphant

By MCN -
MotoGP
19 September 2010 18:00

Casey Stoner romped to victory in Aragon today on the Ducati finishing over five seconds ahead of Dani Pedrosa on the Repsol Honda.
Nicky Hayden took third place with Jorge Lorenzo in fourth on the Fiat Yamaha.

1 Casey STONER AUS Ducati Team Ducati
2 Dani PEDROSA SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda
3 Nicky HAYDEN USA Ducati Team Ducati
4 Jorge LORENZO SPA Fiat Yamaha Team Yamaha
5 Ben SPIES USA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha
6 Valentino ROSSI ITA Fiat Yamaha Team Yamaha
7 Marco SIMONCELLI ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini Honda
8 Alvaro BAUTISTA SPA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP Suzuki
9 Marco MELANDRI ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini Honda
10 Aleix ESPARGARO SPA Pramac Racing Team Ducati
11 Hector BARBERA SPA Paginas Amarillas Aspar Ducati
12 Colin EDWARDS USA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha