2009 V8 Supercars Season

• Wido Rossen

Warren Dawes said:
HRT (Mark Skaife and Garth Tander) look strong in practice and have an incredible record at Eastern Creek, so Wido, make sure you wear your new shirt this weekend.

Well, i`m out for the weekend Warren but shure as hell gonna watch the replay.
And i got my shirt with me.
I comment on the race when i`ve seen it.

Results and racing were interesting, a few surprises but I won't spoil your replay.

Incidently, the Eastern Creek round included the first round of the new MINI Challenge support catagory. Yipee!. :cool:

• Wido Rossen

Well race one whas not that what i hoped it would be.
Great to see Will Davison in the top three.
But race two whas very interresting whit that fantastic start from davison.
To bad that skaife hat a car that would not do what Mark wanted it to do.
But a nice victory for Will.
Race three, mutchos problemos for some drivers after the 2th corner.
But again a good start for mister davison.
Big crash for Richards after breaking something on the car or whas it a puncture on the left front ?
And great to see Rick Kelly up in front.
Overall victory for Will Davison...great result for the Jim Beam Team.

Nice race`s, love this serie`s...wish they would do europe.

Yep! Will Davison was a surprise winner at Eastern Creek but he has been a big improver last year. I knew the DJR guys could be dark horses but I expected it to be Steven Johnson. These races are soooo close though, anything is possible.
Jamie Whincup has a big break on the rest of the field overall in the Championship now and will be hard to peg back because he is very consistent and he will race with Craig Lowndes in the Enduro races where they have dominated in previous years. However, I will still put my money on Garth Tander as it is such a long series and he is very quick in sprint races (just needs some luck).

Interesting to see that Jason Bargwanna turned up driving in the MINI Challenge support category and went pretty well too.

Next race is at the Melbourne Grand Prix where the V8's are actually more popular than the F1 cars (in Australia at least) and I am sure the V8's will provide more interesting racing. Results at Melbourne don't count for the title though.

• Wido Rossen

Skaife fastest in qualifying

Skaife.jpg

V8 Supercar stalwart Mark Skaife set the early pace at the ING Australian Grand Prix in the inaugural Sprint Gas Manufacturer’s Challenge at Albert Park today.
Skaife was fastest in qualifying on day one ahead of tomorrow’s top ten shootout and first of three non-Championship races at the Grand Prix in his Toll Holden Racing Team Commodore. He came home ahead of Ford’s Steven Richards and Tasman’s Jason Richards.

• Motorsportnews

SBR surging ahead

Despite recent speculation surrounding its star driver's future, Stone Brothers Racing is surging ahead to make 2008 count with the arrival of a...

More...

• Motorsportnews

RNR goes greener

Twelve months after the V8 Supercar Championship Series initiated its carbon offset program, BioMax Fuels has joined forces with Tony D'Alberto...

More...

• Motorsportnews

No V8 championship race for AGP

For the foreseeable future, the V8 Supercar support event at the Australian Grand Prix will not count towards the Championship, that's the message...

More...

• Wido Rossen

V8 Supercars New Format

V8 Supercars Australia has announced a unique new format for this year’s L&H 500 at Phillip Island in September.

For the first time in the history of the endurance event, two individual races will be held on Saturday with each co-driver contesting one or the other. Teams will decide which driver competes in which race but their identity will not be known until all teams have nominated their drivers.

Adding to the intrigue will be that each car is required to complete one compulsory pit stop for a tyre change in either of the two races. Again the teams will make their own decision in which race they choose to change tyres.

“It’s an innovation that will lead to the ultimate in strategy and it will be intriguing to see what teams choose to do,” said Shane Howard, V8 Supercars Australia General Manager of Events and Motorsport.

“There will be some eagle eyes in pit lane for the first race to see who they are lining up against and then when each team chooses to pit. For the fans it will be sensational.”

The first two races are short, 15-lap sprints. They will count for only one third of the points on offer for the weekend but will decide the composition of the grid for Sunday’s famous L&H 500 which is being held at the World class Phillip Island circuit for the first time.

“While we are adding the two short Saturday races the Sunday L&H 500 remains the emphasis of the weekend and the winner of the L&H 500 will be the car that crosses the line first on Sunday,” Mr Howard said.

“But the Saturday races set the all-important grid, decide pole position and count for Championship points so in their own right will be integral parts of the L&H 500 and the Championship picture.”

The Seven Network will increase its coverage of the L&H 500 to take these new developments to all fans around Australia on the Saturday, as well as full live coverage of Sunday’s main race.

Lawrence & Hanson and Auslec joined an elite group of the country’s multi-nationals earlier this year by becoming a major backer of the V8 Supercar Championship Series as the key platform for its client, corporate and marketing activities.

Next round in New Zealand

The V8's are on again this weekend, but this time they have moved to a totally new street circuit in Hamilton in the North Island of NZ. It should be very interesting to see how everyone adapts to an untried track, which looks like being a typically demanding city one.
The early pacemaker during today's practice was Jamie Whincup, but I'm sure that is no indication yet. Everyone is tipping another big result for kiwi Greg Murphy who has dominated previous events at Pukekohe in NZ.

• Wido Rossen

finaly,Its been to long since the last race, new track ey, cant wait to see it.

A very dramatic qualification today.
Pole was taken by Steven Richards, but championship leader Jamie Whincup had his car destroyed and will not be taking any further part in the weekend.

During the second round of qualifying, Todd Kelly had a slide on cold tyres and as Whincup passed him on a flying lap, Kelly veered into the rear of Whincup, and tipping him into the wall at high speed. Whincups car was hugely damaged, ending his weekend and certainly costing him dearly for the championship.

Probably just one of those unfortunate racing incidents, but very unlucky for Whincup. :(

Interesting looking track, sort of a cross between Surfers Paradise and Adelaide.

• Wido Rossen

Damm thats ugly for Jamie....not good to start like this.
Where running way behind here Warren.
There is gonna be a delayed full race coverage tommorow at 16:30 Hours here in holland.
Looking forward to see the track.
Going on youre discription the track is very fast....
So there`s gonna be a lot of slipstreaming to see.

I`m gonna set my ass for the telly tommorow, that`s for shure.

• Wido Rossen

Alwright, i saw the 3 race`s Warren.
And i saw the crash of Whincup....
Well Tod slided on the (wet ?) curp and toucht Whincup who went dead-on into the wall.
Big crash if you ask me.
Terrible shame his weekend whas over.
Awsome to see how they where taking the cicane.....lol
Braking ? now way men....they where thrown from left to right.
And that first corner......only the third race they went true clean.
Gotta say , i like the track...Hamilton is here to stay i hope.

Super weekend for Garth Tander.
Winning al the race`s is what make`s your points table climb.
R Kelly also did some good work out there.
Graig Lowdness hat a difficult time.
But the season is still long and anything can happen.

• Wido Rossen

Winterbottom superburb at Barbagallo

Ford driver Mark Winterbottom has swept all three races to win round four of the Australian V8 Supercar championship at Barbagallo Raceway.

However, Holden's Garth Tander has taken the overall series lead.

Winterbottom added to his race one win from Saturday in similar style, posting another two comfortable all-the-way victories in yesterday's 50-lap races.

But defending series champion Tander's third, and two seconds over the weekend gave him enough points to leapfrog fellow Holden driver Rick Kelly and take the championship lead by 14 points.

Winterbottom has leapt into third place overall, just 10 points behind Kelly, who could only manage two sixths and a fifth this weekend.

The trio have opened a tidy gap over fourth placed Ford driver Jamie Whincup, though 10 rounds of the championship remain.

Holden driver Mark Skaife's car was badly damaged in a spectacular crash in the opening lap of race two. He was unhurt.

• Wido Rossen

Matt Neal in V8 enduro on Phillip Island and Bathurst.

Two-time British Touring Car Champion Matt Neal has recently tested a Supercheap Auto Racing Commodore at Queensland Raceway.

neal.jpg

Winner of the 2005 and '06 BTCC titles, drove Russell Ingall's Commodore in preparation of him joining the team for the two V8 Supercar Championship enduro events at Phillip Island and later at the legendary Bathurst Circuit.

The current BTCC VX Racing pilot is aware of his last visit to the V8 Supercars in 2001, destroying a brand new race car at Oran Park.

"Last time I was here I really didn't crown myself in glory and I didn't think I would get another opportunity to come back," he said.

"When Paul [Morris – team boss] rang it was great, I thought 'fantastic, I get to have another crack at a V8 Supercar', and I jumped at the chance."

"It was fantastic, I really enjoyed my time behind the wheel of Russell's Supercheap Auto Commodore - it's really a proper race car," Neal said.

"They've now got a sequential gearbox, the chassis are stiffer and they've got loads more grip - they've really taken another step."

Neal's team mate for the two events will be NASCAR racer Boris Said. Although he admitted he had not met his new team mate, he is confident that they can work well together and produce the results.

"I've never met Boris; I've seen pictures of him, that's about it," he said. "He looks like a pretty wild guy, but you just need to look at his CV and you can see he is a pretty handy peddler."

• Wido Rossen

I saw the race`s on philip island last weekend.
Giovanardi and Matt Neal where present as wel.
Neither one of them could leave a good impression.
Later on they stated that they where preparing for "the Big one".
Next month the Bathurst 1000 wil be take place and is the race of the year.
I hope then that they can show what they are worth.

• Wido Rossen

I think they will broadcast it like 6 hours later.
They did that last year to.
They will broadcast it on the 12th of october.

(Edit), i read on the motors tv forum that will broadcast it live from start till finish.

Thats gonna be very urly.

Here`s the schedule.

23.00 MotorsTV on Air

23.10 V8s Warm Up

23.50 Utes Race

00.20 V8s Drivers Parade

00.45 Porsche Race

Lots of Build up

02.10 Pre-race Pits Open

02.30 1000km starts

Beer, chips and this thread live on screen and i am ready for it :) Thanks Wido

Latest News