2009 V8 Supercars Season

This seems to be a continuing trend, more events outside Australia, and the decline of genuine dedicated race tracks. Not totally a good trend in my view.

Whilst I think it is a good move for the growth of V8 Supercars Internationally, and may result in more $'s for the V8 industry, I hope it doesn't result in the decline of efforts to grow the series in Australia and New Zealand.
The real sad part is the decline of Aussie racetracks, being replaced by trendy street circuits. Many of our great tracks have been let slowly die with little money going back into upgrades and maintainance. Whilst street circuits may be an attraction to get bigger crowds for specific once a year events, they do nothing to provide facilities for regular race meetings, the breeding ground for young drivers. The permanent tracks can be used for so much more if the effort is made, and maybe they might just help in keeping the hoons off the streets. I personally don't think street circuits are well designed technically (all flat as pancakes, full of curbs, walls, lacking the subtle variations of permanent well designed tracks) and they are certainly not the best for spectators to view most of the track. At best, people get to see the cars scream by in one section and then see little until they come around again., Sure, it may be good for TV, but don't we want people to turn up at the track?
I guess that is "progress", and Barbagallo looks like going the way of Oran Park, Surfers Paradise (old one), Lakeside, Amaroo, Warwick Farm, Pukekohe etc. QLD Raceway is heading for the same future.

Rhys, I suspect that you'll end up eventually with a street race in Perth in the future.

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining about the series holding events outside Australia. That is good for the Series, and I don't blame them for seeking out international circuits with first class facilities.
My concern is for the lack of resources ($'s) being put into existing permanent circuits within Australia and New Zealand, resulting in them dying.

This is forcing the V8's to go offshore, or to temporary street circuits. Our current State Governments are happy to pour huge $'s into these Street Circuit Events, but won't support the existing permanent tracks.

One track outside of Australia isn't that bad.

But I wouldn't complain if it came to good-ol' flood island; Ireland. Ofcourse, they don't drive in the wet do they?
If you saw the start of Bathurst this year........

It is a shame to see tracks like Pukekohe and Oran Park get dropped by the wayside for tracks such as Homebush I agree Warren.

I guess that is "progress", and Barbagallo looks like going the way of Oran Park, Surfers Paradise (old one), Lakeside, Amaroo, Warwick Farm, Pukekohe etc. QLD Raceway is heading for the same future.

Queensland Raceway? That I can live with. Good riddance if that's true. :p

Rhys, I suspect that you'll end up eventually with a street race in Perth in the future.

Well, we do have some pretty nice roads here in Perth (there are some gradient changes and some actual curved roads, unlike most other planned cities of its type :wink2:) but it would be absolutely crippling for me if Barbagallo went for good. I agree that the Government would be better off putting money into the proper racetracks rather than pouring millions into closing off streets to have a race.

I agree with Warren, even if it is not the first time V8´s go into other continents, as they have been in Malaysisa or Bahrain before.

But circuits in Australia are really good in their class, I hope they keep it in mind and don´t start adding other circuits from other places. Australia and New Zealand circuits are good enough.

Symmons Plains, Oran Park, Barbagallo, Sandown... SUPERB!

Thank God people have been sensible enough to laser-scan Oran Park while they still can. BTB boys have done it and now so have the iRacing peeps.

It's going to be houses :'(

Yeah. It's absolutely terrible that one of Australia's best tracks is being turned into a housing estate. There are many other places for people to live, which are less historically significant on the side... :bad:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%