2009 Formula One Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think that make one engine and gearbox for all the team will kill formula 1, whats the point for Ferrari, Toyota, Honda and BMW to be in F1 if they can't use their own engine and gearbox. the FIA forget that those car makers are in F1 cause it help them sell car to the general population ( ok maybe not ferrari ). it show to the public how good their car are.:yo:

every manufacturer is in the f1 to sell cars, just Fiat have to sell cars so Ferrari can race in the F1 :p:laugh2:

hmm I'm not sure this is confirmed. Was posted in September and I've heard lots of people saying it's not true since then.
It DEFINATELY hasn't been confirmed as a BBC inside has confirmed on a forum called Digital Spy that possibly Legard but definately someone is wanting more money (commentator) so it could well yet be Croft.
Edwards is certainly out of it as he wants to do A1GP.

Force India terminates contract with Ferrari

Force India have announced that they have ended their engine-supply contract with Ferrari. The agreement, signed in 2007, was due to last until the end of 2009, but will now terminate ahead of schedule at the request of Force India.

Read more at Formula1.com

• Ian Landry

To come back on the Canadian question. What we totally seem to forget is that the Canadian GP had an aweful tarmac and was a danger to the drivers.

Read: Abu Dhadi has more money to offer:handshake:

Bram: As you say it is only a question of money. I was there and the tarmac really wasn't that bad at the hairpin. I like what Hamilton said after getting the pole, something to the effect of: yes the track was degrading, but any good racing driver should find a way to make it work anyway, I did...

It just goes to show, though, how much grip an F1 has, because the Nascar race had no problem whatsoever with the tarmac, with cars waaaaaaay heavier!

Today in the paper here there was another article saying that there was still hope to see it back on the calendar next year. I doubt it.

• Ian Landry

Maybe he knew in advance of the 3 race rule and was scared of the Ferrari's reliability...

• Brad Johnson

The Abu Dhabi circuit looks quiet promising. Long straight, fast bends and some slow ones, alot of circuits seem to be getting constructed in the far east lately.

Like Moto GP are going to Singapore in 2011 where a permanant circuit will be built. Obvious reasons why they aren't going to run the street circuit.

Force India will probably drive with Mercedes engines next season.

Article:

Mercedes-Benz and McLaren are in advanced talks with Force India about an engine supply and technical cooperation deal for next year, autosport.com has learned.

Although Force India have a customer engine contract with Ferrari for 2009, it is understood that they are reevaluating their engine situation because of the raft of regulation changes that are being made for next season.

Sources have revealed that discussions have opened with Mercedes-Benz and McLaren about a deal which could eventually expand beyond just a simple customer engine relationship.

As well as possible technical cooperation on the car itself, there are also suggestions that part of the deal could also include Force India running Briton Paul di Resta, who could be groomed for a future switch to McLaren.

A McLaren spokesman confirmed to autosport.com that talks with Force India were ongoing, but insisted that nothing had been agreed.

"McLaren and Mercedes-Benz are convinced that the independent teams are of vital importance for F1 - in fact they are the bedrock on which Grand Prix racing has been built," said the spokesman.

"Therefore, should we be in a position to cooperate with an independent team and should such a cooperation make economic sense, we would be prepared to do so. Nothing has been decided yet, but we are engaged in various discussions and will inform the media of their outcome as soon as we are able to do so.

"We are also in discussions with, and seeking the guidance of, FIA president Max Mosley in connection with the matter."

Force India team principal Colin Kolles would not comment on the state of the discussions with Mercedes-Benz and McLaren. When asked in Japan about his team's engine situation for 2009, he said: "All I can say is we will have an engine next year."

[Source: Autosport.com]

All these efforts to save money by messing with the car regulations and there is an obvious saving staring us in the face right here...

Start at a point on the globe and set the calendar by running the races by travelling east!

Why start in Australia; head towards Europe (via Middle/Far East); return back to the Middle East; Return to Europe; return to Far East; head to South America; return to Middle East?

The travelling cost of the soap opera on four wheels must cost a fortune and not to mention cause hell of a lot of jet lag for the teams! So why not minimise it with a logical calendar?

I doubt it could work to miss the weather (could you imagine doing all the European races in autumn), but it would be great if Spa could be the grand finale of the season.

• Ian Landry

F1 drivers to go on a diet...

Mark Webber fears that one of the consequences of the introduction of KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems) next season will be that Formula One's heavier drivers will be put at a disadvantage.
With KERS weighing between 25 and 60 kilogrammes, there will likely be less available ballast for teams to move around their cars to help with weight distribution.
And Webber believes that such a circumstance will make it harder for heavier drivers to achieve an optimum weight distribution for their car.
Speaking to autosport.com about the penalties for heavier drivers, Webber said: "It's certainly not going to be an advantage. I'm not exactly fat, but unfortunately it looks like the guys on the heavier side could potentially find it more difficult.
"It will depend on things like tyre choice, but if you're lighter you might have more choices.
"The guys who are in the mid-70s (kg) might find it tougher than the guys in the mid-60s. This shouldn't be used as an excuse, though. The weight distribution could turn out to be absolutely perfect once the car is designed. It is just there's less scope for the heavier guys."
The Australian reckoned it could be the first time in two decades that a driver's weight has an impact on lap times.
"It's an unusual situation," said Webber. "I've not really suffered because of weight since karting, but next year could be the first time since the 1980s that guys that are heavier are penalised by it."

Perhaps the guys will be even smaller next year!!

Wasn't it Kubica that had shed some pounds before this last season? I know that he's really tall as well...

• Matt Crouch

One thing they have to do is bring back the theme tune. Not the same on ITV with the one they used...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back