2009 Formula One Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Carlos Fu

Hmmm...... Agree.
But, in fact, after the States new president on board, we hope it will have some changes.
If Toyota and Ferrari (mainly Ferrari) leave the race, i assume there will not have any F1 anymore.

• Carlos Fu

But it's a Ferrari B team. i don't know why he will choose Tororrosso.

• Matt Crouch

Well it's the Red Bull B team with a ferrari engine and a Red bull chassis... There aren't many better seats available - we've seen how torro rosso have improved and it seems likely that they will do better than Honda next season

I think Vettel showed already this season that the "Ferrari B Team" made some great progressions :)

Its just the usual Mad Max Moseley tactic - threaten the teams with somehting they will hate, in this case a standard engine, knowing there will be objections, then it makes it easier to get the rules changed to longer life engines. Its just been announced today that next year engines have to last for 3 races

• Chris Noble

The whole thing with the single engines I think is the FIA trying to get the manufacturers to stand up and get moving on cutting costs. I would think many of the big teams are quite happy spending millions if it wins them the championship!

We will have to see!

It is hte manufactures that make those costs, so what is the FIA talking about :)

• Chris Noble

BBC F1 2009 TV Presenters revealed

bbcf1commentator2009.jpg

Jonathan Legard, Martin Brundle, David Coulthard, Jake Humphrey & Lee McKenzie
Pitpass claims the BBC has named its 2009 F1 coverage presenters as Jonathan Legard, Martin Brundle, David Coulthard, Jake Humphrey and Lee McKenzie.
Legard has previously commentated for the BBC on Formula 1 on Radio Five Live and has an expert knowledge of the sport. Pairing him with Martin Brundle, who’s won awards for his ‘expert commentator’ role in 12 years with ITV, is an excellent decision.
David Coulthard, fresh from his retirement this year, is expected to be based in a studio with Jake Humphrey, to front the show.
Pitpass sco***, “the budget is expected to be even less than ITV is spending - come on, how do you expect them finances garbage like ‘Bonekickers’?” But I think the BBC are sensible to see there is no value in flying their principle presenters around the world, especially on the licence-payers’ coin. Does having Steve Ryder and Mark Blundell struggling to make themselves heard in the pit lane add anything to the ITV show? No.
Humphrey’s background covers a range of sports including football, American football, cricket and athletics, with a high-profile slot in the BBC’s coverage of the recent Beijing Olympic games. As none of these sports involve four wheels and an engine I have no idea if he’s any good or not so please do tell me. According to this interview done while he worked on Childrens’ BBC if he had a million pounds he’d spend it on crisps.
Lee McKenzie has been fronting Sky Sports’ A1 Grand Prix coverage and is the daughter of Bob McKenzie, the Daily Express journalist. (He who famously promised to run a lap of Silverstone naked if McLaren won a race in 2004.) She is expected to work as a pit lane reporter, a role currently filled by Louise Goodman and Ted Kravitz. McKenzie won Jim Clark Memorial Award for people involved in motor sport.
Of the current ITV team only Martin Brundle will joining the BBC’s coverage, and not James Allen, Steve Ryder, Mark Blundell, Ted Kravitz or Louise Goodman. When ITV took over F1 from the BBC in 1997 it kept only Murray Walker and brought in an otherwise all-new team.
ITV won a BAFTA for its coverage of the Canadian Grand Prix last year, despite the fact so many fans had complained about them cutting the post-race discussion short ITV had to issue an apology.

Personally I am very pleased that Martin Brundle is staying on. David Coulthard sounds an interesting idea! ITV did use to do the main presenting from a studio and like someone else said, them trying to tell you stuff with an F1 engine reving like mad in the background doesnt add anything!

Hope Martin Brundle keeps his pit walk!!

• Neil Wood

it sounds good... at least Lee is some nice eye candy :D She is no Suzi Perry... but gotta take what we can get ;)

• Andrew Evans

brundle! :woot:

they had to take him... and, also agree, coulthard will be an interesting addition....

can't believe ben edwards didn't get lead though.... :rain:

• Neil Wood

I wouldn't care if they did throw their rattles out their prams... let them, wouldn't bother me either way :)

• Chris Noble

Ben Edwards is good, but do want him to keep doing BTCC though :)

• Ian Landry

I think Vettel showed already this season that the "Ferrari B Team" made some great progressions :)

Although we have to think that with so many regulations changes (hence lots and lots of design work), the small teams may be at a disadvantage next year because they haven't had the same kind of money to throw at development, especially with complex items like KERS.

Yes, the switch to more mechanical grip as opposed to the more expensive to develop aero grip should make the field more even, but personally I think it may take a few years before they all catch up and the benefits of the new rules really take on.

Therefore, RBR should be more competitive than Torro Rosso next year, which they haven't really been for the last part of the season.

Ian

Alonso opts to stay with Renault - and Piquet Jr keeps his drive

BBC Sport said:
Fernando Alonso has ended months of speculation about his future by opting to stay at Renault for two more years.

The double world champion had been a Honda target but has turned them down following Renault's upturn in form.

Alonso, who scored more points than any other driver in the season's final five races, will be partnered by Brazilian Nelson Piquet Jr for a second year.

He said he stayed because Renault had "always been my first choice and I feel happy and comfortable with them."

The Spaniard rejoined Renault, with whom he won the drivers' title in 2005 and '06, at the start of 2008 after a tumultuous season as Lewis Hamilton’s team-mate at McLaren.

The team started the year poorly but they came on strong in the final third of the season after making significant improvements to the car.

That performance, in which Alonso won superbly at both Singapore and Japan, has convinced him to stay with the team in the face of Honda's courtship.

The Anglo-Japanese team have had a poor two seasons with an uncompetitive car but wanted to build their future around Alonso and were said to have effectively offered him an open chequebook.

But in a statement issued by Renault on Wednesday, Alonso said: "Renault are a very close-knit team with a competitive and winning mentality, and also a relaxed and warm attitude, which suits me perfectly.

"After a difficult start to the season, we have overcome our difficulties and constantly improved our performances.

"My back-to-back wins in Singapore and Japan, and my recent second place podium finish in Brazil, have proved how competitive we can be.

"In the past we have won championships together, as well as going through tough moments, but we are now determined to show that we can repeat that success together in the coming seasons."

Alonso had been widely linked with a move to Ferrari either in 2009 or 2010 until the Italian team decided to extend Kimi Raikkonen’s contract.

But Alonso's new deal expires at the same time as Raikkonen's, making a future move to Ferrari a real possibility.

Renault's decision to retain Piquet is a lifeline for the son of triple world champion Nelson Piquet after a disappointing debut season.

Piquet, who was a title rival of Hamilton in the GP2 feeder series in 2006, has been well off Alonso's pace this season, although he did take a fortunate second place in the German Grand Prix in July.

There had been speculation he would be dropped in favour of another Brazilian, the team’s test driver Lucas di Grassi.

But some improved performances in the closing races of the season appear to have persuaded team boss Flavio Briatore to give him a second chance.

Piquet said: "Obviously I am delighted to have the opportunity to race for Renault for a second year.

"Although I have had a tough year, I have learned a lot from my rookie season and I will aim to put that experience to good use next season."

Briatore said the decision gave Renault "one of the most exciting driver pairings with the perfect blend of youth and experience".

He added: "Fernando's commitment for the next two seasons confirms the faith he has in the team and we are delighted to continue working with him.

"He has been a big asset throughout this difficult season and his leadership and talent, matched with the team's hard work and determination, have paid off with our recent performances."
Source: BBC Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 107 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 140 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 201 14.8%
  • 25% online 75% offline