2009 British Touring Car Championship

W

Wido Rossen

• Wido Rossen

Vauxhall-drivers urging to go WTCC

The two British Touring Car Chanmpionship Vauxhall-drivers Fabrizio Giovanardi and Matt Neal would like to see the Vectra taking part in the FIA World Touring Car Championship.
"We're winning in not the perfect scenario with tight and twisty tracks (in Britain). The car suits the long, fast stuff which they run on over there (in WTCC) so I think it would be really, really competitive," said Neal.

Vauxhall took a clean sweep of the BTCC 2008 titles, drivers, team and manufacturers.

"I think it says something for Triple 8 and Vauxhall that they won with one set of regulations in Britain, and now they're winning with the Super 2000 as well," Neal to Autosport.

Giovanardi, who raced in the WTCC before going to BTCC, has been keen for a long time to introduce the Vectra internationally.

"Fabrizio keeps on beating the drum 'why can't we go and race in the world championship with this?' because the Vectra would be awesome in it, it's perfectly suited," said Neal.

( source Touringcar Times )

Likewise Johannes.
Always good to see a variety of cars. Would be interesting to see how vauxhalls would get on long straight tracks such as Monza if vauxhall do in the future go into WTCC.

Regards

as above^^^^
bring the wtcc up to were the btcc was in the early to mid 90s.
ie, loads of different manufacturers, in my opinion the best touring car racing ever.
my 2cents, have a good day:bye:

"The rumor of Volvo returning to the BTCC with Jason Plato as their driver was first reported at TouringCarTimes three months ago. Today the rumors have been confirmed by Volvo.
"After the success we've had in Sweden with the C30 with five poles and two wins for Robert Dahlgren, a couple of series' became interested in us. Britain is a market I'd really like to get into. It's a good chance to re-establish Volvo as a sporty brand, like it was before when we last had a big presence in touring cars," said Derek Crabb of Volvo to Autosport.

It looks unlikely that an eventual new Volvo team will see the light of day during the 2009 season. The program will most likely be launched next year.

"There are a number of options available to us. But what I'm not prepared to do though is to go to the first round and do badly because we're not ready. It would only give Volvo a bad name," said Crabb.

Plato was early on linked to the Volvo returning to BTCC rumors and is most likely the number one driver on the list.

"We want to do this the right way and so we're looking at the very best drivers that are available to us. They must be able to represent Volvo in an appropriate way and develop the car further," said Crabb.

Another hot topic for speculation is the team to run the cars in Britain. According to sources of TouringCarTimes, Volvo has been in talks with Team Dynamics, a team that has run Honda-cars in BTCC for the last couple of years.

Rumors have also indicated that it might not be the C30-model, currently used in the STCC, that Volvo will use in BTCC. The new S60-model is about to be launched and would fit perfectly for the BTCC, fitted with a bio-ethanol engine. According to Crabb a three-year deal is not far away.

"It has to be a sponsor-led project and those sponsors need to fit in with our green image. Getting those in line is very important. I don't just want deals that will get us through a year. I want a three-year deal from sponsors and we're nearly there," said Crabb."

Source: TouringCarTimes

btcc09012902.jpg

Do it Volvo!
C30 or S60, we need some more manufacturers in the BTCC :eat: Oh, and we can't lose Jason :D

If this is the future of racing with a green concept: praise the lord! Fantastic news

• David Butcher

Yes i agree that it's always good to have many different car's in championship's.Plus,it mean's we get more car's to use in the licensed gaming race titles..WHA-HOO!.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 71 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 384 39.8%