2008 British Touring Car Championship

• tippyjon57

It won't be fast. Independent team with average drivers....

Thats a bit unfair my friend...all the independants deserve a chance and they make the series fun to watch and be around. Mind your comment about the drivers is grossly unfair, you can not describe these 2 as average drivers....dont think have ever been that good! :laugh2:

• Chris Noble

Yes a bit of an unfair comment, however this car raced in some events in 2007 and was very slow and normally last of all the cars. It had no rear wing mind you and has gone through a lot of development since.

Also with Seat proving that Diesel can work there should be a good chance yet. BMW power should be good too if they can get the chassis sorted and setup correctly.

Yes a bit of an unfair comment, however this car raced in some events in 2007 and was very slow and normally last of all the cars.

Yea and it couldnt even keep up with the arkas car of Erkut, but i dont think that Rick kerry is aggresive enough to race in the BTCC, he is more of a Club racer! Nick Leason a maybe but then he's hard to judge as hes never been in a front running car.Im not sure i dont think it will be quick thoe!

Possible entrants for 2009:

Volvo:
http://touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=2928

Arena/ Ford (Independent):
http://touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=2943

David Pinkney possibly involved with Team Dynamics, or buying one to run himself maybe, seeing as he has now walso sold to 2 Alfas he had to teams in Europe:
http://touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=2927

We already know that CVR intend to be out next year - but BTC Racing are also looking at running 2 or 3 SEAT Leons as well.

It also looks like Jason Hughes will be back but not in the MG, as the MG is available to race as a second car for KWR.

We already know about WSR an Motorbase possibly running 3 cars each and Vauxhall running at least 2 cars, possible 3 and Eurotech running 1 Vauxhall as well.

No word yet on what GR Asia/ Adam Jones are up to or what is going on in terms of BMW and Mat Jackson as far as I can find.

The 2009 Calendar :)

Code:
1  Brands Hatch    05/Apr/2009
2  Thruxton          26/Apr/2009
3  Donington Park  16/May/2009
4  Oulton Park       31/May/2009
5  Croft                14/Jun/2009
6  Snetterton        02/Aug/2009
7  Knockhill           16/Aug/2009
8  Silverstone        30/Aug/2009
9  Rockingham       20/Sep/2009
10 Brands Hatch    04/Oct/2009
http://www.btcc.net/html/racedates.php

I hope to visit Donington next year :)

AWWW Looks like i could be going first 4 rounds then :p and last one :p

• Wido Rossen

Ford to return to the BTCC

It seems that the Ford name could be back on the grid of the HiQ MSA British Touring Championship in 2009 after an absence of eight years.
The expected team of Ford Focus saloons will reportedly be an independant entry without official manufacturer backing. The Ford blue oval was last seen in the top tier of the championship in 2000, the last year of Supertouring.

The cars are being built by Arena Motorsport at their West Sussex base, with finance from a private backer. Tom Chilton is expected to be confirmed as the main driver for the team.

Although Ford have been seen in the BTCC since they dominated the proceedings in 2000, albeit in the production class in the following year.

Ford's last official entry into the BTCC saw the manufacturer go onto make a clean sweep of the Drivers, Teams and Manufacturers titles with their drivers taking the top three places in the final placings at the end of 2000.

Even though it is expected to be an independant entry, this marks a serious return to the highest profile race championship in the UK.

The project was started last year, but was put on the back burner as it's intended main driver Tom Chilton signed for Team Halfords.

Now with Chilton not re-joining Team Dynamics, the project has been restarted although not as a manufacturer entry, but we at TouringCarTimes understand with Ford's blessing!

( Source touringcartimes )

• Stuart Neal

This will be good worldwide, not just BTCC. Well done Ford!

• Stuart Neal

with Ford Australia wanting to go to a smaller car and FWD in the future, we may have another World Racing Series..

Always liked the Fords in BTCC, will Hoy and Paul Radisisch??

If you don't know, i'm a Mazda fan
I think there was a 2.0 litre V6 Mazda Xedos 6 engine in the Ford Mondeo.
Ford & Mazda works togheter

Now that this is confirmed - we have some of the best Independents in the business for 2009 - WSR, Arena, Motorbase, Eurotech and hopefully GR Asia

Its always good to see a new car or a team such as Arena return to the BTCC - so I hope that they get decent results.

• Wido Rossen

Arena Motorsport confirms Ford entry

Arena Motorsport confirmed that they will enter the 2009 British Touring Car Championship with two Ford Focus - something TouringCarTimes reported one week ago.
"This is an incredibly exciting opportunity for Arena to return to the BTCC after a three year absence," team principal Mike Earle said.

The team will enter two cars, one for Tom Chilton and another for a yet to be announced driver.

"We have selected Tom Chilton as the driver to lead this programme due to his suitability from both an on-track and off-track perspective. As a driver he has a proven track record and we are very excited to be re-united with him after the successes we enjoyed together in 2004 and 2005," said Earle.

btcc08112501.jpg

The Ford-model to be used is the Focus. But it will not be a official Ford-program.

"We have researched many options of cars to build and decided the Ford Focus was dynamically the most suitable for our programme. We will be entering the 2009 BTCC as an Independent entry. We will not be receiving any additional support from Ford," said Earle.

( Source Touringcar Times )

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back