2008 A1GP

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is actually one of the coolest drivers i have met in real life.. Since then i follow his steps closely. Hopefully our next driver in F1 in a few years! Yeah he is 1/2 dutch too :D

• Wido Rossen

Van der Drift near the sidelines at epang

Wanganui's Earl Bamber will be back at the wheel for the third round of the A1 grand prix series at Malaysia's Sepang circuit next weekend.

Chris van der Drift made his race debut at Chengdu in China in round two last week, battling technical difficulties to finish 11th in the feature race and seventh in the sprint. New Zealand lie fourth place overall in the standings with 20 points, eight points adrift of championship leader Malaysia.

The rules allow nations to drop their worst round, so the small points haul from Chengdu may be the round that New Zealand drops at the end of the season.

Bamber drove an outstanding debut race for New Zealand at Zandvoort in the first round, finishing a second in the feature race in his first ever A1GP race weekend, driving a new car and navigating a new track.

The 18-year-old has competed in Asia since 2006, and is extremely familiar with the 5.54km circuit.

Van der Drift will also travel to Sepang to keep up to speed with the engineering progress of the new Ferrari-powered A1GP car.

Bamber was confident his local knowledge would be put to good use.

"I've got some good knowledge of the track at Sepang so this should help us to be on the pace quickly," he said.

"But the race will be hard, because the other teams have had more time to prepare their new cars now so I expect our opposition to be stronger."

I raced radio controlled cars with his brother here in New Zealand for a while back a few years ago. But now he is one of the fastest drivers on the Dutch Radio Controlled car scene.

So I have always followed Chris's racing career in Europe with a little bit of interest.

He is recognised here as possibly one of New Zealands best new drivers and maybe the next Scott Dixon.

Also see my post here:
http://forum.racedepartment.com/australian-v8-supercars/8915-v8s-indy-series-surfers-paradise.html

There is another link to a release in the V8 Supercar site.

I think this is a great move for Aussie motorsports, far better than the Indy car farce. This will raise the profile of the A1 GP in Australia (it doesn't get much support till now) and by racing the same event as the V8's, the crowds will be huge. Not to mention, the QLD Government will throw lots of $'s at it too (they certainly poured heaps into the Indy cars).

Here in New Zealand A1GP gets alot of support and has done so since day1 so getting a rouns at Surfers was big news.
Mind you Indy cars are quite big here as well what with our own Scott Dixon being champ.:clap:

Formula 1 in less then 3 years, mark my words! Once he is settled in A1GP he will fight for the podium each race i am sure. I have never seen such a dominating driver then Chris the last two years in Formula Masters.

• Wido Rossen

Redicuelous drive thrue penalty for Jeroen.
He made up a lot of ground in remaining laps.
And a nice result for Ho Ping Tung, to finish just behind Jeroen in 9th place

malf.jpg

Read the full story of Jeroen being robbed of a podium place at http://www.a1gp.com/News/NewsArticle.aspx?newsId=42617

Ireland!!!! :D:woop::rockon::Hamm3rHed::thumb::whoo:

Fantastic for Adam Carrol in the feature race, he was soo dominent throughout the race and deserved it. Dunno what happened to Malaysia and why Fauzhy pulled into the pits without a reason??? The Netherlands penalty was very harsh and I disagree with the decision but thats racing. Now all Ireland need to do is Win the championship now :D:dance2:

• Wido Rossen

A1GP 2009 - Round 4: Taupo, New Zealand

Round 4 will be driven on 25 Jan, 2009

Taupo_Black460X256.jpg

Track length: 3.32 km (2.06 miles)

No. turns: 14

Direction: Anti-Clockwise

Lap record: 1m 14.679s recorded by A1 Team Switzerland (Neel Jani), in January 2007.

• Wido Rossen

Yep, time for the drivers to relax and gain some pounds.....:highfive:
And then try to lose them again...

• Andy Marsden

Just watched the highlights for this race (had to record them off early morning Channel 5 as I don't have Sky Sports) - very exciting racing! Why can't F1 be this fun?!
Big grats to Ireland for the feature race win, GB had some bad luck but thats racing and was chuckling at Fauzy pitting when his team weren't expecting him to.
Only wish I could watch the whole of the races live, highlights will do though!

• Andy Marsden

This is a nice looking track, anyone know if there is a version available for GTR evo and GTL?

• Eric Soeters

Well the streight looks long, but on the other side it's only 3.3km long, so maybe it's relatively long...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 304 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 204 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 154 7.8%