Resource icon

Tracks 2 AI layouts and visual updates for "Applecross" 2019-11-24

Login or Register an account to download this content
alekabul submitted a new resource:

2 AI layouts and visual updates for "Applecross" - Full loops in each direction and many visual corrections

View attachment 336039
The better Scottish track. "Highlands" was fine but small and smooth, "Applecross" is bigger and ruffer. Except the road which is too narrow for 2-way AI traffic... So to cover every angle on the course I did two separate layouts with start grids far away from the pits. That way when you feel like going to the opposite side of the map in "Race" you can use "Restart" for teleport to the grid in the base of the Hillclimb, or drive off from the pits by the...

Read more about this resource...

While on the subject of scottish tracks you may want to try "Highlands" free roam mod. It contains less racing day objects and gives you all the terrain to roam. Search Google Drive for "Highlands freeroam".
Screenshot_ks_mazda_mx5_nd_club_ks_highlands_29-10-119-19-40-39.jpg
Screenshot_ks_mazda_mx5_nd_club_ks_highlands_29-10-119-19-50-49.jpg

Last edited:
find the track
It`s here on RD. See the link in my prev post. Word of warning - besides it`s big size in MB on hard drive, it`s demanding on the graphics memory too. Mine gets filled up to the 6GB brim. Maybe because I use the "Maximum" on the world details and shadows...

Last edited:
hey did this new update do anything to fix performance? the first version i tried (i use VR) the car was shaking like everything in it was shaking no matter if it was a kunos car or mod car. it was like the game couldn't handle it. i don't think its my pc since i have a RTX2080 super+ a 8 core possessor with 32GB of ram. ive used big maps like Targo floria and it doesnt shake like that. the only other map that shakes is Glenco but that map is not optimized

only other map that shakes
No, mate, every map has it as long as the place of the car is not exactly at the center of origin... This one has it extensively at the start grid because it`s very far from the center of origin (technical stuff of making the track). If you start from the pits you will have way less shaking until you reach the far end of the loop so it is not immediately noticeable while you are at speed. To test my words try loading any big map - i.e. LA Canyons, press F5 and observe how all the wheels of the car are not stationary while you are in the pits.
Alas, there is no easy fix for this problem. We`ll have to live with it.
If you use the Custom Shaders Patch it has built in the shaders that somewhat compensate the textures trembling and make the life in Applecross easier.

To clarify more on the subject of shaking - I did an experiment of translating the road objects 8600 m on "x" axis to put the center of origin roughly in the middle of the loop... The AC physics engine refuses to take into account the new coordinates of the objects. Same if the translation is done in "models...ini". Only time the physics worked with translated coordinates was when I went down to faces level of the bits of road for the pits and start and translated them, making a new objects with the new coordinates. Given the overall number of individual objects in the track counting in thousands there is practically no way to do this translation for everything.

To clarify more on the subject of shaking - I did an experiment of translating the road objects 8600 m on "x" axis to put the center of origin roughly in the middle of the loop... The AC physics engine refuses to take into account the new coordinates of the objects. Same if the translation is done in "models...ini". Only time the physics worked with translated coordinates was when I went down to faces level of the bits of road for the pits and start and translated them, making a new objects with the new coordinates. Given the overall number of individual objects in the track counting in thousands there is practically no way to do this translation for everything.
oh ok, understood. i just thought ide ask. i didnt know it was game issue. not a track issue. looks like ill try your pits method. because i love apple cross i just coiuldnt even read my speedo since it was shaking so bad last time i raced on it. if its just a vibration i can live with it. but it turned my car into a jaggy last time. probably because of my start point like you said

it turned my car into a jaggy
Other method of dealing with this is to soften the suspension as much as possible on the particular car. Then you will notice how at different speeds the shakes disappear or magnify in accordance with the resonance in the springs and shocks. This makes Applecross very interesting testbed for me :D

Played some with moving the center of origin of Glencoe. It gets maybe too calm when shaking is gone. It`s easy to see the difference by comparing the indicators for dampers in "Suspensions" app - yellow when they are busy and they should not be when the car is in the pits.

Attachments

• Glenco shakes.jpg
    Glenco shakes.jpg
    643.6 KB · Views: 132
  • Glenco test shakes.jpg
    Glenco test shakes.jpg
    808.4 KB · Views: 130
  • test2.jpg
    test2.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 108
  • test1.jpg
    test1.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
alekabul updated 2 AI layouts and visual updates for "Applecross" with a new update entry:

Track is available again and CSP code can help with the performance

@Grant Hendry has not abandoned it and I'm happy to see a working link for that pretty track of hes. Have a look in the reviews of Applecross to get the active link. Meanwhile I tested it and confirmed the AI lines are compatible with it. Just a few remarks though:
1. I made a mistake putting in the package "models_wet.ini" instead of "models_traffic_cw.ini". To get around that you may create a copy of "models_traffic_cw.ini" and rename it to "models_traffic_acw.ini"
Then...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 233 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 161 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 118 7.5%