DiRT Rally 2.0 2.0 theory

Do you think Codies went out of their way to make 2.0 overly difficult?

I really believe they did sadly. So much of it seems falsely difficult, the stages are great, based on real stages but full on every side of furniture that would not be there, verges like rock, plastic posts made like trees, grass like glass with water on it

I know the notes are hard to get right, but some of hem do really feel deliberately wrong.

They got wet and rain so wrong in this game, it is like driving on ice in every way. I know it's hard, but they seem to have just had a grip meter and turned it right down, rally tyres on wet gravel have a lot of grip, not in this game.

Stage finishes, nearly every flying finish has some sort of little area to catch you out, be it bumps, a kink or a really nasty bit, you would only do that if again you were deliberately trying to catch people out, and very cruelly at the very end of a stage. But it does seem to be the case quite a lot. Why are the finish posts on the track?? Again totally unrealistic, but designed to damage your car.

Also other little things, you used to be able to see what the daily stages were on DR1, I enjoyed being able to practice and hot lap, not anymore. If you quit the game if you made a huge error, fair enough, you shouldn't be able to just come back, but you could in the past, now you are given a maximum so go from 50th to 500th and might aswell retire.

These things all just seem to make the game overly difficult, which let's face it is very unnecessary, it is already very hard, but I do feel it has been designed to be a Dark Souls 80 type game, almost as if that was Codies intention, rather than to simply make a realistic rally sim.

I don’t think they went crazy making it overly difficult but I definitely agree with you that there are traps in most/all of the courses. I like that it’s a challenge. And as for the “gotcha!” traps, its kinda what keeps me going back to DR2.
One day, I’ll remember that Phil is wrong—that’s totally a hairpin, not a 1
It gives me the drive to keep improving and remembering the tricks of the courses. That way I can feel triumphant when I overcome the traps.
Ultimately, I’m a simple person, I enjoy the ego boost from not falling for tricks.

I actually find DR2.0 to be quite forgiving. AI difficulty varies wildly across different classes though. DR2.0 lets us get away with some ridiculous cuts that people wouldn't even think about doing on a real stage because there's no telling what hazards lay waiting in the tall grass. In DR2.0 you can be fairly certain that you won't lose a wheel in a ditch that was hidden by grass.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 293 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 204 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 261 13.6%