AC 1999 Nissan Primera @ Thruxton - Sunday 26 May 2019

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
OK.ignoring I've seen you on public servers but OK.

What about TeamSpeak? I could tell by the attitude of the car that you were fully committed as we got close so gave fair and clear warning that we were approaching and lapping? We could hear you clanking and stuff, assuming Voice activated. Everyone else heard me.

The only public server I’ve been on is the Nordschleife track days.
Yeah sorry about the teamspeak it was my first time on it and I didn’t get a chance to set my sounds before the race. I couldn’t hear anything over the game volume.

Yup, AC has an infuriating habit of wiping the race entries from the file when the game rolls over to the next session (e.g. back to practice). Bizarrely, the JSON file can hold multiple practice and qually sessions, but as soon as it swaps sessions you lose ALL the race data. So a 2-race session always dumps the first race from the JSON file (the only workaround I know of is to quit the game and rejoin after copying the JSON, before race 2 gets under way!).

NB: we don't like our racers' real names being put out there on the internet, so please don't post the raw JSON to Simresults.net. There's a name stripper web page at https://www.spudbucket.co.uk/jsonproc/ for which I can supply the username/password on request [edit: ah hell, I'll just put them here: rd/rd]. It removes all but the first character of surnames, which seems like a suitable way of preserving privacy. Obviously, on this occasion I won't personally be affected, cos I forgot to set my real name! :redface::roflmao::ninja:
The guy from simresults first added the function of stripping full names at some point last year and made it default a few weeks/months later.
So we can just throw the files right from the ac output into simresults. You now have to actively disable the name stripping :)

@shmuga here's an article you should probably read. It's totally okay to not now the rules of racing, but you should learn them :)
Flags:
- yellow: incident in front, be careful
- blue: fast car approaching, you have to let the car pass you as soon as possible. But you don't have to go in the grass or anything!
Best way is to leave the racing line at the beginning of a straight and then lift the throttle. Never brake!

About racing rules, this is the best article I've ever read! Helped me a lot :)
https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014/08/28/the-rules-of-racing/

Brands Hatch Indy - Blueflagger Guide:
upload_2019-5-27_16-40-55.png

I wanted to do this for a long time and I think RD should create a subforum for racing etiquette etc.
Anyway, here's how to let cars by when you are under blue flags for Brands Hatch Indy as it's the most simple!

The main problems with blue flags are:
- blue flagger slowing down when you can't pass him, forcing the faster car to brake/dodge
- blue flagger not slowing down where he should, holding the faster cars up

So this map shows how to do it.
When you see a blue flag you should move from the racing line into the blue zones and lift from the yellow marker ongoing.
- Don't lift too early while still half the car is on the racing line!
- Don't lift too late, the car behind won't be fast enough to pass!

Where the track is marked red you should stay on the racing line. During the red mark there's no space to clearly show the car behind that you are gonna lift and let him pass.
So red mark:
- the faster car will try to overtake you like he normally overtakes. Stick to your line and let him do the pass!
- don't defend and don't slow down here. Just stick to the racing line and let the other cars do the overtakes!

In general it's important that the blue flagged car stays consistent and predictable.
- never leave the track
- never slow down on the racing line

You should always have some understanding of the track. Where's the difference between the blue zone outside of T1 (bottom left corner) and the upper red corner?
The difference is that there's only one line to take through T1. If you go wide there, you will lose a lot of time or slide into gravel. So nobody will ever be there.
But in the upper right corner, you can take several lines to go for an overtake.

If the fast car goes for the overtake while you move from the racing line and slow down, you two will crash.

So back to the blue markers: it's important that you move into the blue zone as early and clearly as possible. Stay on the racing line until you can move into the blue zone without needing to slow down.
Then when you moved into the blue zone while keeping your speed, you lift the throttle.

If you lift too early you will still be on the racing line, if you lift or move into the zone too late, the faster car will try to overtake you and again: you will crash.

An example of:
- going into the blue zone correctly
- lifting way too late!
- faster car abandons his qualy lap
- slower car asked why the faster car didn't overtake

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-27_16-42-29.png
    upload_2019-5-27_16-42-29.png
    211.5 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Sorry about those incidents and ruining anyone else’s race.
It was my first online race and I was a little overwhelmed.
And to be totally honest I didn’t know what the blue flag meant :sick:

@shmuga you done the right thing in apologizing online, on this occasion I will give you the benefit of doubt. We are a close knit family here at RD (but our arms are very open to new drivers) and you will see that 90% of the field is made up of regular drivers, this is not a bad thing, because we all generally know each others skill level and drive accordingly around each other.

I do not wish to pursue this any further and you are very welcome to join any of the events that I post here.

But, please familiarize yourself with the "blue flag" procedure, it is one of the most important parts of online racing.

If you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to message me ..I hope to see you on the grid soon :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks again, though to be honest it was from watching @Asterix
LOL, yes I also improved by spectating @Asterix for a couple of laps in practice :D
And hey, it's great to see you again!:)
Thanks - you too. It has been quite a while!
I couldn’t hear anything over the game volume.
I know the feeling all too well. I had to massively reduce the AC volume to be able to hear the TS voices over the top. Once you get it working, you might still need to adjust some voices up/down during practice and qually, as some people can be way too loud or quiet depending on their setup. Happily TS gives you a volume control for every user :)
The guy from simresults first added the function of stripping full names at some point last year and made it default a few weeks/months later.
So we can just throw the files right from the ac output into simresults. You now have to actively disable the name stripping :)
LOL! You probably told me about this ages ago.
Having just clicked on the Simresults link for our race (thanks @Kerem Gocen :)) I now remember that there's one other "hidden" feature in my own stripper - it fixes the laps with negative times in the JSON file, e.g. -00:00.0010, which otherwise kinda spoil the qually results for most sessions. I can't remember what causes them now. Perhaps we can persuade him to upgrade Simresults to do the same fix :D

@RasmusP Thanks for the information, I'm new to motorsports and that read was definitely helpful.

@Craig Dunkley Thank you, I appreciate it. I'll be sure to be more careful and informed in the future.

@Neilski That's good to know, thanks. I'll make sure my sound settings are setup properly for next time.

That's good to know, thanks. I'll make sure my sound settings are setup properly for next time.
If it helps: when you're on track, move the mouse to the very right to see the ac app bar. You probably know this but I thought I'd mention it.
Click on the speaker icon and you'll be able to adjust the sound levels.
I'm using "1" out of 10 for the "general" or "master". Whatever it's called.
1 and 2 are matching teamspeak pretty nicely :)

Last edited:
@RasmusP Thanks for the information, I'm new to motorsports and that read was definitely helpful.

@Craig Dunkley Thank you, I appreciate it. I'll be sure to be more careful and informed in the future.

@Neilski That's good to know, thanks. I'll make sure my sound settings are setup properly for next time.

I was not on the race, but I know what it means to be lapped.
There Nothing wrong on being slower, but blue flags have to be respected .
I you really Don't know what to do, and generally in all situation, stay on your line. DON'T CHANGE.
If you can position yourself in order to let the racing line , ok. IF not for any Reason, STAY ON YOUR LINE.

Personally, I also apply to myself the blue flag rule to pilots I know being a lot quicker as I am.
For example , during the last race, I let pass Wolf Matuchka, which is about 3 second per lap quicker as I am.
I would be nonsense and Dangerous to block him. He was just for any Reason on the wrong place at this particuliar moment.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 360 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 180 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%