1999 Nissan Primera BTCC

Cars 1999 Nissan Primera BTCC 1.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
With regards to the above perhaps the gentleman might like to talk to Anthony Read. He raced a Primera in period and is often quoted as saying that it is probably the best race car he ever drove (He's driven just about everything from Formula Ford to NASCAR so knows a thing or two). Also the late David Leslie was full of praise for these cars. Matt Neil is likewise, he used a Primera to win £500,000 as the first independant to win a BTCC round outright in, Yep, a Primera. They really were the class of the field and absolutely dominated the Super Touring era and for good reason. I'm lucky enough to have raced one of these on a couple of occasions and I don't recall ever locking up the brakes. They have poise and are beautifully balanced and possess more grip than a Scotsman on a five pound note. I'm Scotish so I can confirm that. It's very easy to criticise modders from the comfort of your arm chair, maybe you'd care to try and create one for yourself. All I can say is that IMHO this is probably one of the most accurate mods available to date and if it were a pay mod I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. Please keep up the great work and can we have some more please

Not sure why you're referring to my post when all I said was "It's not definitely incorrect" which is what Stix was implying. Unless you mean the further above gentleman. :p

In terms of behavior, I've talked about it a bit with Abbo, and I'm not sure I want to say anything much more in detail here because it's all WIP and private currently and being worked on, don't worry, but with some front geo tweaks I did get it to a very good position IMO. The car's not "inaccurate" or "very wrong" IMO. There's just some design challenges as always.

In regards to Ben's post: I'm not surprised if everyone among the actual Primera drivers disagrees with each other how the car should drive. It's pretty normal for any simulated car. There will always be some "real driver" who disagrees how the car drives, even if 9/10 agree on it. For all we know it comes down to how their sim wheel feels in their hands or what kind of color their monitor's bevel is. :roflmao:

Some things I can say about Ben's post, which are just my opinion:

Unless you drove the car back in its prime on those exact tires that are simulated here and datalogged for sanity and took video, understand that your memories might not be consistent. Even if you drove the car last weekend, on modern imitation tires, there will be discrepancy.

Also about the car not launching enough, it has to do with how AC handles grip at higher camber angles + the fact that our bumpstops can't become uber progressive if you sink into them enough, like they would when you hit a kerb really hard IRL. Those two combined means most touring cars won't "two wheel" like they should. I know my E30 doesn't.

Please note this is not a criticism of the mod,(or modder) in general I rated the mod a 4/5 in my review. However I still stand by my critique of the braking and traction compared to every other car driven in AC. Its easy to test the baking of this car on any track at full speed (in straight line) apply full brakes and the car will come to a stop with virtually no lockup, when compare to other cars in AC, all other cars will lockup and slide. This primer a does have some minimal lockup, but compared to other cars is very different.

Of course I can't compare to a real 1999 primera btcc race car. Only to other cars in this sim. None of which behave this way except those with abs active all other cars in AC will lock the tyres relatively quickly if 100% brakes are applied.

Rather the making comments about the car in real life just do the test in AC. Get the car into top get at high speed on a long straight like Monza, keep car straight an apply 100 brakes before the end of the straight. Then try it in other cars in AC and compare it. (make sure none of the other cars have abs active)

If you find a car that brakes like this Primara which brakes right on the threshold (without abs) in AC let me know and I'll test that car also. I have ye to find a car in AC that threshold brakes when you stamp on 100 brakes at high speed.

That has only been possible in other cars when I've have turned brake power down in car setup to around 80%. Indicating the primary maybe tuned to a lower brake power than other cars. But in my opinion its still got very good traction vs other cars in the sim.

Of course general traction testing is not so easy to test as this simple test when making car comparisons as more factors come into play and its highly subjective.

Last edited:
Not sure why you're referring to my post when all I said was "It's not definitely incorrect" which is what Stix was implying. Unless you mean the further above gentleman. :p

In terms of behavior, I've talked about it a bit with Abbo, and I'm not sure I want to say anything much more in detail here because it's all WIP and private currently and being worked on, don't worry, but with some front geo tweaks I did get it to a very good position IMO. The car's not "inaccurate" or "very wrong" IMO. There's just some design challenges as always.

In regards to Ben's post: I'm not surprised if everyone among the actual Primera drivers disagrees with each other how the car should drive. It's pretty normal for any simulated car. There will always be some "real driver" who disagrees how the car drives, even if 9/10 agree on it. For all we know it comes down to how their sim wheel feels in their hands or what kind of color their monitor's bevel is. :roflmao:

Some things I can say about Ben's post, which are just my opinion:

Unless you drove the car back in its prime on those exact tires that are simulated here and datalogged for sanity and took video, understand that your memories might not be consistent. Even if you drove the car last weekend, on modern imitation tires, there will be discrepancy.

Also about the car not launching enough, it has to do with how AC handles grip at higher camber angles + the fact that our bumpstops can't become uber progressive if you sink into them enough, like they would when you hit a kerb really hard IRL. Those two combined means most touring cars won't "two wheel" like they should. I know my E30 doesn't.
All valid points, I was merely expressing an opinion. I did race the car in period and IMO it truly was epic. I do agree with you regarding the behaviour over kerbs, also it is always going to be difficult trying to compare a sim mod with the real car. Again in my opinion this is pretty close

All valid points, I was merely expressing an opinion. I did race the car in period and IMO it truly was epic. I do agree with you regarding the behaviour over kerbs, also it is always going to be difficult trying to compare a sim mod with the real car. Again in my opinion this is pretty close
Like I said, there seems to be plenty (racecars without brake boosters) that just won't lockup at high speed when a human being steps on it. We also don't know how the older tires stack up to the more modern imitation ones; you'd think modern are better but it's not like they have to be. No disagreements here.

If there's too much grip or too little or whatever, I could probably explain why it is with my """insider knowledge""" but I'll refrain from.

I get this upon trying to extract files, have extracted many other cars so expect file damaged? Any details of alternative location to download file?

\Downloads\nissan_primera_btcc_v1.0.rar: Unsupported archive format.
\Downloads\nissan_primera_btcc_v1.0.rar: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged

I get this upon trying to extract files, have extracted many other cars so expect file damaged? Any details of alternative location to download file?

\Downloads\nissan_primera_btcc_v1.0.rar: Unsupported archive format.
\Downloads\nissan_primera_btcc_v1.0.rar: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged
if it's not already the case, update your archiver
and/or try that https://www.7-zip.org/

Like I said, there seems to be plenty (racecars without brake boosters) that just won't lockup at high speed when a human being steps on it. We also don't know how the older tires stack up to the more modern imitation ones; you'd think modern are better but it's not like they have to be. No disagreements here.

If there's too much grip or too little or whatever, I could probably explain why it is with my """insider knowledge""" but I'll refrain from.
Modern tyres are around 3-5 seconds slower than the tyres they used in period. Obviously this depends on the track used.

The modern tyres are super hard and frankly garbage from what I hear from the drivers.

The tyres we aimed to simulate are the performance of the in-period tyres.

Drove this car for the first time in maybe a year last night and I'd forgotten just how fantastic it is, especially in the middle of a large pack of them at fast, wide tracks like Spa. Absolutely thrilling in VR with motion.
Did anyone ever mod (or find) a suitable sequential shifting animation? That's the only thing that's missing I think (apart from those weird roofing nail door locks that always draw my eye in VR, lol...)
;)

Screenshot_nissan_primera_btcc_spa_31-1-120-11-52-12.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: iwn
haha, they look pretty similar in real life, although scale might be off

yeah, the animation has been requested many times, I just never had a time to do it
might try to sneak it into coming update
I found an animation from a Focus rally car mod that looks perfect. But it's from a LHD car and inverting the shifting hands in driver3D makes it go squiffy instead of just mirroring the action.

Drove this car for the first time in maybe a year last night and I'd forgotten just how fantastic it is, especially in the middle of a large pack of them at fast, wide tracks like Spa. Absolutely thrilling in VR with motion.
Did anyone ever mod (or find) a suitable sequential shifting animation? That's the only thing that's missing I think (apart from those weird roofing nail door locks that always draw my eye in VR, lol...)
;)

View attachment 346864
see , if anything it should be longer :)

Attachments

• door.jpg
    door.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 120
by popular demand ;)
sadly, I wasn't able to figure out a way to have a different animation for up/down shift. As that - for driver - only played on fingers :(

before, where the gear lever was moving in both directions, based on the up/down shift

update, with driver anim

I suppose I will let you guys chose, which one you prefer, or supply you with both and you could pick what you like

by popular demand ;)
sadly, I wasn't able to figure out a way to have a different animation for up/down shift. As that - for driver - only played on fingers :(

before, where the gear lever was moving in both directions, based on the up/down shift

update, with driver anim

I suppose I will let you guys chose, which one you prefer, or supply you with both and you could pick what you like
The last one

Nice! As a VR user i was also wondering if the helmet problems are solved also when it gets updated? (i can see my face in front of me while driving the Primera) CM can fix it but then it doesn't work on most servers online.

Keep up the good work!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back