1998 BMW 320i STW-BTCC

Cars 1998 BMW 320i STW-BTCC 0.5.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
Patrik Marek submitted a new resource:

1998 BMW 320i STW-BTCC - legendary supertourer, competing in many disciplines

View attachment 366273

Time has come! Initial release to get more feedback outside of our group, to help pushing these more forward. So we are bringing you are second car. Car is currently setup to be more safe, so it does understeer quite a bit, probably more then you would expect. Feel free to experiment with setups and share what you think

Work in progress !!! lot of things are not done yet
Early cockpit with no textures
LODs are not yet made for this car...

Read more about this resource...

Great great news!
Thank you. It looks perfect.
I can’t wait to try it out.
This car is a match against the Nissan Primera you created?
yes, it's same sort of car, although bit older and slower. Still lots of work to get it all on the same level as Primera, but Primera first release was also far from perfection ;)

Hopefully we get some good feedback of where to take both car next, as they share same tires, so changing one affects the other

and before anyone asks, TEMPLATES are not ready yet, but they should be coming later today

Good job. I think Primera and this BMW could both be fine if implementing load curves into the tires; probably better. My guess is that the tire will probably work in any other car which shares it, based on this one and my modified Primera. So the tire is making some sense.

I think it's a big mistake to develop the tire anymore using the Primera as a basis because it simply doesn't work like it should right now IMO. It sounds like a harsh criticism but please, I've gone through something similar myself, you are probably chasing your tail right now. The cars are probably almost where they should be!

It's a shame the front must be DWB, but I understand the reason. Helper springs don't really work well with STRUT due to the 500k~ rate of the bumpstop. Even then, it is a fine compromise. So please if someone notices that, don't comment about it. ;)

Now if only you can take my advice on the Primera and make it as solid as this one. It's so close...

I couldn't test it yet, but noticed this in the showroom. ;)
Annotation 2020-04-25 103201.png

That's from probably a quick AO bake with no cleanup.

I really wouldn't be too harsh on a car with "flat" shading on the interior polygons, which is missing most of the parts and has 0.5 in the version. :rolleyes:

The R33 I was (and still am) working on had horrid AO like that as well, before cleanup was done IIRC.

Good job. I think Primera and this BMW could both be fine if implementing load curves into the tires; probably better. My guess is that the tire will probably work in any other car which shares it, based on this one and my modified Primera. So the tire is making some sense.

I think it's a big mistake to develop the tire anymore using the Primera as a basis because it simply doesn't work like it should right now IMO. It sounds like a harsh criticism but please, I've gone through something similar myself, you are probably chasing your tail right now. The cars are probably almost where they should be!

It's a shame the front must be DWB, but I understand the reason. Helper springs don't really work well with STRUT due to the 500k~ rate of the bumpstop. Even then, it is a fine compromise. So please if someone notices that, don't comment about it. ;)

Now if only you can take my advice on the Primera and make it as solid as this one. It's so close...

Tires are developed around this 2 cars but I still consider them WIP in which there will be also a 4WD car sharing them.
As soon as we will work on it, we'll probably have to make other changes.
That's why they are still not that good in temperature too (and wear really).
About load curves, it has some meaning to me if I could have some reference otherwise it's a guesstimate like it is now... Since I can get what I expect from them I think I will use them.

Honestly I think if the base of the cars, like suspension and aero is handled, the tire will work without major changes. Other cars will just provide context.

I don't see anything in it that would produce a big inaccuracy inherent to just one car, apart from the heat and wear stuff. If it's off, it's gonna be off for all of them in the same way.

Sadly vanilla AC heating just doesn't cut it, but it's your choice if you want to use CSP heat. I think it's desirable for racecars, but myself because I make roadcars and want to maintain vanilla compatibility, I chose not to.
If you too choose not to, it might be necessary to settle for a level of inaccuracy especially in a race situation.

A lot of tire stuff is a guesstimate sadly, but they are all round and black after all.

I myself use load curves because like you said, the precise result you want is easier to obtain, and it has less limitations. These cars are making almost 1.0 CLa in downforce and some of them also go very close to, or 0 load in some situations, so using load curves with a more appropriate shape would probably improve the behavior and laptimes without sacrificing anything.

Also, I believe, from findings of other members of the community, FALLOFF_LEVEL=0.85 should probably be a little lower, perhaps FALLOFF_LEVEL=0.78 or a little lower. There is some evidence to point towards it.

The reasoning is that because while the 15% grip loss from slip is indeed probably quite true to real figures, there seems to be an additional perhaps 5 - 10% loss or so from the rapid heating of the surface of the tire during use.

Since this surface simply doesn't exist in vanilla AC heating (It's some layer(s) below to my understanding, not the very top layer) and often it is not configured to heat up realistically; that being very rapidly up then back down after the corner; the grip level for example during locking of the wheel or in a drift can be inappropriate. I'm still playing around with the values myself so don't take it as something which is definite.

I haven't looked at CSP heating enough to know if it introduces this true top layer and fixes this issue; if it does, great, then perhaps no modifications would be needed. :thumbsup:

Emissive shader strikes again
Sorry everyone, I did put it into wrong place in the archive , so that's why people who havent' have it installed yet will get crashes :( sorry about that

I will post update for this tommorow, together with some few quick fixes on skins / ui notes etc.

but basically in the archive you have

content > cars
content > fonts
content > system

but system folder should be on the same level as content

so you would drag this to your AC folder

content > cars
content > fonts
system

A very, very, good start indeed. WIP stuff aside, the driving feelings it's already impressive (for a v0.5), pretty solid experience, if I may say so.
The FFB is also very good to me (G29). No snappy/bitchy act, no tedious rumbling, unlike the Primera. Smooth as silk. Nice.
The car seems surprisingly stable and a bit more 'permissive' than the Primera. More, uhm... gentle and intuitive, I'd say.

Just like in real life if you are finding the car too oversteery, raise the front of the car a few mm. Beware the rear tyre wear on long stints, if you have the rear too loose you will lunch the rear tyres.

Typically the camber was like this;

-4.7 fronts
-4.2 rears

obviously this will depend on the circuit and your driving style but these were the common figures given to us by teams running the car(s).

• Deleted member 223075

I see the rear left door is openable but i think it's not necessary for a race car ;)

Wow.. such a fun car already. I just finished getting reacquainted with your previously-released Primera (and yes, the most updated version 1.1), and this 320 is so much easier to jump into and start going quickly. The Primera, I find, needs a fair bit of setup tweaking to tame its knife-edge instability, whereas the BMW is much more predictable (not easy, but responsive and stable) out of the box. I started chopping seconds off each lap almost right away.
My one critique would be the rather piercing loudness of the driveline sound. It could be this is how painful the real car sounds, I don't know, haha.. and I LOVE that there IS a modelled drivetrain sound, and wish more mods had them.. but I would prefer it turned down just a bit.

In any case, I'll keep driving the snot out of this as it mixes with my growing pool of nice older touring cars, including your Primera and by other recent fave, the R32 GrA!

Wow.. such a fun car already. I just finished getting reacquainted with your previously-released Primera (and yes, the most updated version 1.1), and this 320 is so much easier to jump into and start going quickly. The Primera, I find, needs a fair bit of setup tweaking to tame its knife-edge instability, whereas the BMW is much more predictable (not easy, but responsive and stable) out of the box. I started chopping seconds off each lap almost right away.
My one critique would be the rather piercing loudness of the driveline sound. It could be this is how painful the real car sounds, I don't know, haha.. and I LOVE that there IS a modelled drivetrain sound, and wish more mods had them.. but I would prefer it turned down just a bit.

In any case, I'll keep driving the snot out of this as it mixes with my growing pool of nice older touring cars, including your Primera and by other recent fave, the R32 GrA!
Haha, we had to tone it down a lot ! This car was infamous for the loudness of the transmission

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 167 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 320 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 449 39.2%