Login or Register an account to download this content
garyjpaterson submitted a new resource:

1937 Auto Union Type C - 1937 Grand Prix car from Auto Union

Merry Christmas!

Screenshot_auto_union_type_c_fonteny_24-12-119-21-20-23.jpg

Screenshot_auto_union_type_c_fonteny_24-12-119-18-31-3.jpg

Screenshot_auto_union_type_c_fonteny_24-12-119-21-20-58.jpg

Read more about this resource...

Wow that is quite a unique looking racecar- great job. They had allot of different styles back in those days. Will download and try out the car in the next several days. Happy Holidays.

The AC car has a 4 speed gearbox, so I guess the upcoming iterations will have a 5 speed box?

Cheers
Robin
I haven’t got the source on me right now (its in one of these books somewhere), but iirc it was originally a five speed but they reduced it to save weight, reduce the complexity, increase reliability.
I’ll try and find a proper source for that later when i have time :)

Thank you. Epic stuff. Looks great, lovely to drive. I like these older cars as they are more about strategy and wisdom than just pure fast reflexes and precision like modern high frequency cars.

That mid engine layout sure does give good traction for the rear end. It feels quite easy and safe, till it doesn't. Fools a driver quite a bit as it changes to unforgiving quite quickly. And I like how it is understeery too.

I haven't done a single completely clean lap at Deutschlandring, but was getting better quickly. Few more laps and probably could race consistently. Did pretty much same laptime (slightly faster) like with W125, 4:08 and 4:09, probably could shave off more with Typce C than with W125. Was fun. I was more consistent with W125, but it also felt more on the limit the whole time :D Perhaps thats only because I have more practice with it is why I was more consistent with Merc. Not so much consistent when tire wear effect kicks in though.

I only think that tires stay at optimum temps range a bit too easily, or the range itself is, IDK. I definitely think that tire wear is not rapid enough. Also I wonder if the fuel consumption isn't too low ?

This car is really fun to drive! Crazy fast for 1937! I don't know exactly what speed it was doing down the Donington straight but I'm pretty sure it was north of 180mph!!

Here's some footage of a lap at Donington. Unfortunately it looks a bit rubbish because YouTube hates anything other than clear bright AC weather. I also can't get the hang of double clutching, I often blip into neutral as well as into the next gear down which I'm not sure is correct :cautious:

Nice, there is actually a RL lap time from 1937 in the Auto Union at Donington. IRL it did a 2:11.4, in AC 2:00.6 without massively abusing RPM or gears. I'm guessing they had a fair bit of mechanical sympathy and a small dose of self preservation when driving these crazy machines IRL and AC grip was set optimum so I'd guess it is in the ballpark.

If it wont turn in could be that you are locking up the fronts under braking? Or maybe trying to carry a little too much speed into the turn.
I moved brake bias back to 46% which stopped the fronts locking so easily and helps rotate the car into some of the slower corners.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 387 39.8%