1937 Auto Union Type C

Cars 1937 Auto Union Type C 0.5

Login or Register an account to download this content
I originally planned to model those drilled holes but i quickly realised it was gonna be massively labour intensive and tri heavy (20k tris iirc), which I decided probably wasn't worth it as no one really bothers looking that close... I see I was wrong :roflmao:

Can they be made transparent? In GPL there was this trick to make part of a texture transparent to make it possible to look through without touching the model.

Had a bit of time to go through and properly reply to some of the comments

The AC car has a 4 speed gearbox, so I guess the upcoming iterations will have a 5 speed box?

Cheers
Robin
From Quick Silver: An Investigation into the Development of German Grand Prix Racing cars 1934-1939:

1577453749471.png

1577453779157.png

1577453787534.png

From Auto Union Supercharged: A Technical Appraisal:

1577453933041.png

From The 16-cylinder GP Auto Union leaflet:

1577453956495.png

So overall from what I have read, the Type C did drop back down to 4 speeds. However, I dont have any concrete information about the actual ratios.
People have noted elsewhere 3rd gear is very close to 2nd/4th, and I agree. I just chose the first 4 ratios listed for the Type D datasheet - perhaps in future I should keep the 4 speeds but have the ability to choose between the ratios per gear?
You can see though, these are the 5 Type D ratios, right now we are using 1-4. 2-5 all seem very closely spaced.
1577454123188.png

I only think that tires stay at optimum temps range a bit too easily, or the range itself is, IDK. I definitely think that tire wear is not rapid enough. Also I wonder if the fuel consumption isn't too low ?
I'll have a look at tyre wear again, though I did 4 laps of Fonteny yesterday (all you can do on a full tank) and the rears were shot after the first 2 laps...
I dont think tyre temps in terms of the 'optimal range' was much of a factor, at least I haven't come across that being mentioned at all - which to me suggests at most temps they work pretty well. That being said, I've read in a few places that overheating them is very dangerous and will cause failures, so keeping temps low is more of a priority.

I'm fairly sure fuel consumption is fine, I based it on how many laps they were able to do at Donington in 37:
1577454657990.png

If the fuel consumption was higher, he wouldn't have been able to do that many laps. The real question is, was he fuel or tyre limited? Could he have gone a bit further on fuel? If that was the case then my fuel consumption may be too high, but certainly not too low.

Nice, there is actually a RL lap time from 1937 in the Auto Union at Donington. IRL it did a 2:11.4, in AC 2:00.6 without massively abusing RPM or gears. I'm guessing they had a fair bit of mechanical sympathy and a small dose of self preservation when driving these crazy machines IRL and AC grip was set optimum so I'd guess it is in the ballpark.
That lap is scary to watch tbh, super on the limit. Really I have no idea if the pace is correct or not, but I am sure self-preservation would have been a major factor in how they drove these cars, and also I have no idea how accurate the track is.

Can they be made transparent? In GPL there was this trick to make part of a texture transparent to make it possible to look through without touching the model.
Technically yes, but I think it would be a worse compromise; To do that the bars themselves would have to have the holes textured onto them (right now its a separate mesh for the hole texture), which would mean lose the AO to have them mapped on top of each other to save texture size, or use a large texture and keep the AO. But regardless I'd lose the ability to use a multimap shader to get the transparency, which I dont want.

Technically yes, but I think it would be a worse compromise; To do that the bars themselves would have to have the holes textured onto them (right now its a separate mesh for the hole texture), which would mean lose the AO to have them mapped on top of each other to save texture size, or use a large texture and keep the AO. But regardless I'd lose the ability to use a multimap shader to get the transparency, which I dont want.
ksPerPixelMultiMap_AT, has the whole shebang of multimapness with alphatest? Or if you feel extra fiddly ksPerPixelMultiMap_AT_NMDetail? Just line up the uvmap so that the detail texture holes find their way on the sides of the mesh and you get normal mapped holes too. Should be easy to do, easily done less than in a month j/k! There is also the sandtrap shader (ksPerPixelMultiMap_NMDetail) which switches to different nm texture at close range although that might look really weird. It is used on sand traps so one nm texture creates the sand dune effect while the other texture creates the sand nm effect at closer range.

I'll have a look at tyre wear again, though I did 4 laps of Fonteny yesterday (all you can do on a full tank) and the rears were shot after the first 2 laps...
I dont think tyre temps in terms of the 'optimal range' was much of a factor, at least I haven't come across that being mentioned at all - which to me suggests at most temps they work pretty well. That being said, I've read in a few places that overheating them is very dangerous and will cause failures, so keeping temps low is more of a priority.

I'm fairly sure fuel consumption is fine, I based it on how many laps they were able to do at Donington in 37:
View attachment 340879
If the fuel consumption was higher, he wouldn't have been able to do that many laps. The real question is, was he fuel or tyre limited? Could he have gone a bit further on fuel? If that was the case then my fuel consumption may be too high, but certainly not too low.

I have not driven Fonteny yet, but it looks hella long. Must try someday. It looks awesome.

When you say that rears were shot, do you mean that they were on yellow or red indication color ?

I have used this video as referance for tire wear, tells that the tire was shred in four laps of Nordschleife.

I assume that is what should happen if you go maximum attack with this car. In your source text it is said that Mercedes had more problems. I guess mercedes was wearing tires more if pushed to the limits.

I have a bit reading through the book I have, and I think may have had these lines missed, or I am just confused right now. It states that Mercedes engine ran 4mpg, but later as they developed the engine it went up to 2.5mpg. I don't know whats the fuel tank size of your car, but I guess it is about 400 liters ?? , which would make it about 2mpg for 22 laps of old donington, I guess, you are right that would probably mean that it is more likely too high. It may be that I did mess up W125 consumption a bit, by making it too high, iiric.

By the way, I just learned that W125 later used extra fuel tank in front of the driver, so I suppose it must have ended with something about 500L of fuel :D

I would guess that they were rear tire limited indeed, because all pictures of pitstops there is in a book - the rear tires are being changed, and fuel is being filled in. Interesting fact from the book, Mercedes were capable to fill 5 gallons per second (almost 500L per 30 seconds) and change the rear wheels in less than half of a minute, that is very impressive.

Last edited:
I have not driven Fonteny yet, but it looks hella long. Must try someday. It looks awesome.

When you say that rears were shot, do you mean that they were on yellow or red indication color ?

I have used this video as referance for tire wear, tells that the tire was shred in four laps of Nordschleife.

I assume that is what should happen if you go maximum attack with this car. In your source text it is said that Mercedes had more problems. I guess mercedes was wearing tires more if pushed to the limits.

I have a bit reading through the book I have, and I think may have had these lines missed, or I am just confused right now. It states that Mercedes engine ran 4mpg, but later as they developed the engine it went up to 2.5mpg. I don't know whats the fuel tank size of your car, but I guess it is about 400 liters ?? , which would make it about 2mpg for 22 laps of old donington, I guess, you are right that would probably mean that it is more likely too high. It may be that I did mess up W125 consumption a bit, by making it too high, iiric.

By the way, I just learned that W125 later used extra fuel tank in front of the driver, so I suppose it must have ended with something about 500L of fuel :D

I would guess that they were rear tire limited indeed, because all pictures of pitstops there is in a book - the rear tires are being changed, and fuel is being filled in. Interesting fact from the book, Mercedes were capable to fill 5 gallons per second and change the rear wheels in less than half of a minute, that is very impressive.
They were red for the whole 4th lap (and some/most of the 3rd iirc), enough that balance was an issue and despite me driving better and learning the track more, I was a decent amount slower than the previous laps.

The tank is 225 litres.

And yeah both Merc and AU were able to complete ~30s pitstops with fuel/tyres because of aircraft grade fuel pumps iirc, something the British teams apparently could not do.

Not driven yet but looks great. Im just creating some custom skins and I will publish on RD for everyone.

I will probably swap the sound in CM with some Kunos originals if needed, but looking forward to trying this and maybe I wont have to swap audio.

*Update.

Bit of fun here with my first drive:

https://youtu.be/7NGFi4D3XZM

I will upload the skins here soon.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 124 13.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 95 10.1%
  • < 3 years