Cars 1937 Auto Union Type C (WIP)

Um, wrong thread? :roflmao: Cool pics/info in that, not really relevant to me though as far as I can see.

Futura worked a treat though @Fat-Alfie, just needed to tweak the A and N's :thumbsup:

unknown.png

Wondering about this, as the only period car I came really close to had a way less sharp reflecting paintjob:
TJ07QaI.jpg
This kind of looks can be done with a reflection map. No need to change the entire car when it's possible to just make skins that include both high-gloss paint jobs and ones that look like that.

Just had a look for relevant lap time data.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/leif.snellman/gp373.htm

I guess the Monaco time is sort of useful as we have the old Monaco conversion/RIP track. The S/F line is in the wrong place I think but more or less the same other than that. In 37 the best time by a Type C was 1:49.0.

The fastest time at 1937 Spa in an Auto Union was a 5:08 I think.
On a 1/2 km stretch of the Masta straight Lang's Mercedes was timed at 310.595 km/h, while Stuck's Auto Union was doing 281.628 km/h.

Donington - 2:11.4

I can't wait to chase these lap times in AC!

Model looks superb !

By the way, Nords was at least a minute longer in 1937. Spa also was longer than it is in the version that was taken from rF2. Best bets are Donnington 1937 by Jim Lloyd and Monaco from rF2, I think it is also by him :D Actually you still should be able to use Nordschleife, if you could approximate it somehow. Nords back then had start/finish loop which must have added at least 40-50s, some turns were slower, and it had rather a lot of jumps. I think a lot changed only in late 60s. When they started making some turns safer, started removing jumps, and later removed th whole start/finish loop. I'd guess Nords in AC should be at least 70seconds faster.

Ah yeah, just checked Spa, different in 2 places. That's a shame, it's the place I'd most like to unleash the Auto Union at :D

I'll leave Nordschleife to someone else, I don't have any experience on that track in AC.

For the Auto Union font, Futura would make sense since it was designed in 1927. The only other thing that comes to mind that might work is the "Toronto Subway Font" from the mid 1950s. It was a slightly modified version of another font, but no one is sure what font exactly. It was recreated in 2004 for use in renovations to various subway stations in the city.

To my eye, it's a slightly bolder Futura with a lower belt line. It might be closer to the original Auto Union logo than Future because of the lower belt line and bolder form.

Enter 'AUTO UNION' into the field on this site to have a look :)
https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/quadrat/toronto-subway/

It's definitely not the exact font used for the original logo, but might be closer than standard Futura.

Hi - I think the Auto Union typeface is called Rund-Grotesk and was designed by the C.E. Weber type foundry in 1931. There is a page dedicated to the development of German typefaces in the early 20th century and if you scroll down you will see the Auto Union logo displayed with the typeface used underneath. It's difficult to read and I can just make out Rund-Grotesk, but what follows is key as it identifies this particular version for the AU logo.

https://www.fontshop.com/content/short-intro-to-geometric-sans

mini_magick20141203-29712-1u6zrno.jpg

Edit: According to this page https://www.typografie.info/3/Schriften/fonts.html/rund-grotesk-r588/, the font is called Rund-Grotesk Fett.

If you head over to this page http://rundgrotesk.de/typetester and type in Auto Union with the light typeface then you get a pretty good match.

Still no luck with numbers though, that number 5 is proving hard to match and I'm beginning to think it was an in-house design rather than something that was commercially available. I'll keep looking and report back if I find anything useful.

Hope this helps - the model looks absolutely fabulous Gary, the best of luck with it's development!

Found a bit of time to properly finish mapping the mechanicals, given it a quick bake and thrown it ingame. Coming to life now, though i'll probably tweak/edit the textures a bit - then its interior textures and its more or less finished :)

Screenshot_auto_union_type_c_luccaring_24-8-119-23-44-54.jpg

Screenshot_auto_union_type_c_luccaring_24-8-119-23-45-48.jpg

Screenshot_auto_union_type_c_luccaring_24-8-119-23-46-12.jpg

Screenshot_auto_union_type_c_luccaring_24-8-119-23-47-20.jpg

Screenshot_auto_union_type_c_luccaring_24-8-119-23-47-0.jpg

Bonus gif if RD loads it
5b4de07b31947310ef3154472cdbe6bb.gif

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years