Cars 1937 Auto Union Type C (WIP)

I found this in an automotive museum in Hamburg last weekend :)

IMG_20190811_121857.jpg

The August Horch Museum in Zwickau, Germany does have an really impressive Auto Union Type C replica, if you are interested.

Can't wait to drive this beast around the Nordschleife.

I found a copy of the Cyril Posthumus one today in the library. 12 pages covering 1934-9 so not very detailed unfortunately.

What are the technical gaps that need filling? The car seems to have had very active development. Have you settled on a particular race's configuration to try to replicate? Or will it be based on whatever data happens to be available across the car's active racing years?
Yeah that one arrived, not super thorough but little piece of history (written in the 60s based on what they are saying about 'modern' F1 cars :roflmao:). Nice to have fuel tank capacity confirmed, and race start weight too (in 'cwt'! :laugh:)
As data is so sparse for this car relative to the Merc, I'll take anything though ideally I'm looking to model a 37 year one - as far as I'm aware specs didn't change drastically.

Managed to find one of these on ebay for a reasonable price - I'm fully expecting it to mostly cover the Merc's but from what I've seen it'll be a fascinating read regardless.
upload_2019-8-15_15-5-48.png

s-l1600.png

(merc stuff^)

s-l1600.png

s-l1600.png

(more merc stuff^)

Very much looking forward for that to arrive!

Exactly! I'm unable to find a download for the W125 currently, so bundling them together as a pack would be a wonderful idea.
Very unlikely to package them together. I'm happy to link to the Merc at all opportunity but the download for my Auto Union will be for my Auto Union only.

I found this in an automotive museum in Hamburg last weekend :)

View attachment 320199
Very cool. They seemed to have a really nice level of quality control on these things, visibly 'neater' than say the Merc's of the time imo.

The August Horch Museum in Zwickau, Germany does have an really impressive Auto Union Type C replica, if you are interested.
Am i interested in travelling to have a look? Would love to, time and money says otherwise though :roflmao:

Last edited:
Not done a whole lot the past little while, but just added some smaller details such as panel catch things (yet to be textured, along with all the rest of the super shiny mech stuff!).
Picking out parts that need normal maps/special treatment and doing those now, so that includes the big body bolts, 'holes' on the grille (dont worry how stupid shiny it is right now), little body coloured rivets, brake hose crimps and the cooling fins for the brakes (just on the left for now, will get mirrored later).

Screenshot_auto_union_type_c_ks_red_bull_ring_17-8-119-23-6-54.jpg

Screenshot_auto_union_type_c_ks_red_bull_ring_17-8-119-23-6-30.jpg

Screenshot_auto_union_type_c_ks_red_bull_ring_17-8-119-23-5-0.jpg

Sort of leaving the big 'easy' stuff to last, with texturing all the mech stuff at once, adding detail to the interior etc. So it should all come together pretty fast at a certain point, just not quite yet.

The whole car seems to be reflecting a lot, almost seems like glass.
Literally no different from any other car, using very standard shaders to ensure parity across the kunos range should anyone want to add skins.
This is just the nature of viewing car paint at near parallel angles, the fresnel effect reflects a lot more than it would if you were looking at a more perpendicular angle.
The reference images I use show it painted silver, so same as any other silver car out there, so it will get the same shader treatment any other car would. That being said, in historic pics it looks more beat up and worn, less shiny etc, so I might look into recreating that via the RGB maps.

Anyway here is the Kunos Maserati using the same detail texture to show its no different.
Screenshot_ks_maserati_250f_6cyl_ks_red_bull_ring_17-8-119-23-57-15.jpg

Screenshot_ks_maserati_250f_6cyl_ks_red_bull_ring_17-8-119-23-57-33.jpg

Yeah, as I said, you can see quite a variety of surface finishes over the years.

These are the best quality images I have at my disposal so its only natural that that the majority of what I am making is replicating this, a full gloss finish. Is that going to be the most authentic race ready machine? Probably not, but at least it means my model should hopefully be correct to 'something' rather than an incorrect mash up of lots of specs.

So for example mine has no extra cooling holes on the front, I have the shorter distinctive water pipe that cut into the cockpit instead of the longer one required at some races, and countless other smaller differences.

1936-auto-union-type-c-sheds-light-on-audi-s-past-at-auto-shanghai-2015-live-photos_5.jpg
1936-auto-union-type-c-sheds-light-on-audi-s-past-at-auto-shanghai-2015-live-photos_9.jpg

Most of the period photos do tend to look more matte, I assume lacking a lacquer, similar to the finish of the car AccAkut posted. That being said, they are poorer quality images, so its hard to get a real idea of what the finish should look like. I do plan on at least attempting to replicate something like this though with RGB maps.

Auto-Union-Type-C-Hans-Stuck-with-his-Auto-Union-Type-C-1024x768.jpg

This one looks to be bare metal, which looks beautiful imo, but that could be tricky to emulate so lets wait and see. Outside of 'in progress project' photos, not many seem to use this bare metal finish, I dont think it was ever raced like this.

MHV_Auto-Union_Typ_C_1936_01.jpg

Looking for a bit of help here - can anyone identify the font used for this Auto Union logo (or alternatively find a non-skewed decent quality photograph I can copy)?

auto-union.jpg
auto-union-four-ring-logo-auto-union-ag-chemnitz-an-amalgamation-of-four-german-automobile-manufacturers-founded-in-1932-and-established-in-saxony-PHTEJ1.jpg

Additionally, anyone know what font or something similar for the driver numbers?

upload_2019-8-18_12-40-40.png

upload_2019-8-18_12-40-51.png

upload_2019-8-18_12-41-31.png

upload_2019-8-18_12-41-59.png

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back