Cars 1937 Auto Union Type C (WIP)

New thread time.

unknown.png

Started this some time ago after being inspired to give @mantasisg's Merc W125 a friend. Only able to work on it intermittently, but its been nicely progressing over time and is soon ready to go in-game with the first textures.

Model is nearing completion, just missing a few small details inside and out. UVs are not far off, most stuff is unwrapped and just waiting to get organised, obviously I need all the model totally finished to finalise those. I really hope I do the model/textures justice, as I think it could be a real treat to experience this thing in VR from the cockpit - to my knowledge I dont think there is any other sim out there with this car!

Physics is very WIP. Hopefully with some luck and a whole lot of peer pressure, @aphidgod can lend a reluctant hand :roflmao: I don’t really have the time nor knowledge to properly do the physics justice. As you would expect there is little in the way of hard data, though there are some reasonable targets I have collected from books that should be useful. Right now its super tricky to drive… And it should be - it was always known to be - but I’m thinking it’s a bit too much for now.

SFX - non-existent, like the majority of mods. Will release with kunos SFX if need be (send suggestions, it’s a very low revving V16 (5k redline)… so not many great options), but of course it’s a shame to release something like this without decent SFX.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

I'll keep this thread up to date as and when I make progress on the final stages. Should come to life soon once I get it textured up and ingame.

Sounds great, but not quite suited to the relatively low RPM range of the auto union (less than 5k).
Perhaps @Amplified would be willing to tweak it to better suit? I have no idea whats involved with SFX stuff so maybe thats a lot of bother, but if its not and you dont mind me using your SFX for this let me know!

Hope you guys find a way to fit these two great mods together :)

Haha nice, I have the 'Technical Appraisal' one. Very interesting book for sure, though as seems to be the norm technical details are fairly lacking, with more emphasis on comparisons to the Merc/previous Auto Unions. Plenty of "X% stiffer than car X" etc. :roflmao:

Found some super cheap copies of the Colin Pitt and Cyris Posthumus ones online, who knows if they are any good as I dont see much info on them but we'll find out in about a weeks time :D

elloLeo Kinnunen

Pin Head Racing
I found a copy of the Cyril Posthumus one today in the library. 12 pages covering 1934-9 so not very detailed unfortunately.

What are the technical gaps that need filling? The car seems to have had very active development. Have you settled on a particular race's configuration to try to replicate? Or will it be based on whatever data happens to be avaialble across the car's active racing years?

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 78 18.9%
  • €151-500

Votes: 116 28.1%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 67 16.2%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 40 9.7%
  • €3001-5000