Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
gtl-flyer-minis.jpg

Servername: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM
Class: TC65 Mini Cooper Sprints
Track: Birmingham Short / Lakeside / Virginia South / Castle Combe Chicaned / Knutstorp
Conditions: 16.00 In-game Race Time
Practice: 19.00GMT / 20.00 UK / 21.00 Europe - 15 mins
Qualification: 19.15 GMT / 20.15 UK / 21.15 Europe - 5 mins
Race: 19.20 GMT / 20.20 UK / 21.20 Europe - 10 laps
Note1: Click here to read the password and golden rules!
Note2: Default skins only

Entrylist:
  1. Stuart Thomson
  2. Bert Van Waes
  3. Knut Omdal Tveito
  4. Matt Crouch
  5. Bob Luneski
  6. Amir Margalit
  7. Driver
  8. Driver
  9. Driver
  10. Driver
  11. Driver
  12. Driver
  13. Driver
  14. Driver
  15. Driver
  16. Driver
  17. Driver
  18. Driver
  19. Driver
  20. Driver
  21. Driver
  22. Driver
  23. Driver
  24. Driver
  25. Driver
  26. Driver
  27. Driver
  28. Driver
  29. Driver
  30. Driver

This will be my first GTL event since I've never played it before. Any tips?

Bob, the best tip I can give is to be very patient with the learning curve. Most of these cars handle differently and require some time to tune into them. The high powered cars can be very tricky to control, so be prepared to have fun with lots of oversteering spins and understeering too. This game is more about car control than racecraft, so I reccommend you to pick the more basic cars to learn first (off-line practice is best). The best cars to learn first are the Cortina and Alfa (and the Mini for FWD), before you tackle the over-powered beasts.
It may be frustrating at first, but if you perservere and get used to it, the driving can be very rewarding and on-line races can be very funny if everyone has the right attitude. :)

Yup - +1 to what Warren said.

The Mini's the only FWD car in the game, and it's a hoot, but the whole crux of GTL - irrespective of the vehicle involved - is not about shaving tenths here and there to get a good time, it's about being in control of the car to be able to race.

It's also about mutual respect on the track, which in turn leads to fun events, because it's not about muscling past, it's not about being last of the late brakers, it's not about cutting the track for that last tenth.

The attitude Warren mentions is everything in GTL, and thus far, it has been an exemplary department to be in charge of for me. Adjust your expectations to enjoying the process of throwing these old classics around, rather than the result, and I think you will enjoy yourself.

Just ordered GTL and it should be delivered tomorrow.

This will be my first GTL event since I've never played it before. Any tips? I've heard that the addon tracks are installed the same way as in Race07. True???

Bob, being one of the newer members of this "Gentlemen's Racing Club" I can only back up what has be said by Warren and Stuart. I got my copy of GTL early in the year and it's only now that I'm starting to feel comfortable racing with these cars. They are totally different to GTRe and Race07 cars., especially coming down the lower end of the gear box. Just try crashing through the gears approaching a corner hoping for a bit of engine braking and I'll guarantee you'll end up arse first in a barrier.

Ok, I don't drive GTL 1 tenth of the time I spend driving Evo, but it is well worth taking a little bit of time getting used to the cars. They are all so diverse in handling, it may seem a little overwhelming at first, but the guys in the GTL club are more than helpful with setup advise and driving tips.

As Stuart said above, it really isn't about winning, it's about having a good time, and here in the GTL club we do :good:

A couple of newbie tips that helped me with these old cars.

1. If the back keeps coming round under braking Decrease the Coast a click

2. If coasting round a corner, off the throtle, and the rear starts drifting round Increase the Power a click.

I know Warren said to avoid the more powerful cars first off, but I recommend every newcommer takes a GT40 or Pantera around LeMans and pretend your Steve McQueen :laugh2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 109 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 286 27.6%