17 Year Old Set To Be Youngest F1 Driver

If they start with these cars at first, I have no problem with young drivers :

f1x.jpg

Oh, and the red formula drivers from italy ,they have started a program for young drivers as well:
imeages.jpg

I've been looking at this driver compared to Alguersuari and there isn't much difference. Alguersuari finished 6th in his FR3.5 Campaign while Sirotkin is currently 8th. Neither driver had any other major success but was good in lower tiers. The age difference between the two driver's debuts (possible debut) is about 7 months so not ridiculously young.

Yes, he shouldn't be in, however I don't remember hearing much when Alguersauri joined.

Due to my sources, if Sauber had not set a deal with these Russian companies (that's why Sirotkin is entering as a <<requirement>> to the contract), the alternative would have been NO Sauber F1 team next year.
In a German/Swiss sportsmag Peter Sauber himself stated the team had no more money to pay bills and were in desperate need of investors.
Racing success will be gone next year...but tell me about Gutierrez this season...
Mexico shortened their money massively?

GUYS:

As Swiss, it's either this(getting a sponsor) or going bankrupt and vanishing from the F1 map. There are 300 jobs at stake in Hinwil(up to date technology out of the window) with some further jobs that are tied to doing business with Sauber, like the external suppliers(that wanted their money).

Also, the boss of the National Institute of Aviation Technologies, Oleg Sirotkin, is Sergey's father. Surprise, surprise...

But anyway: Wehn I see all the moaners(In Switzerland), why weren't there any of the big companies helping out? Novartis, Nestlé, UBS, Holcim, etc.? Isn't our economy supposed to be "looking good" in comparison to others?

Apparently not good enough. But nobody cares of course, in a land where circuit racing is BANNED.

Thank you government.

Sauber didn't have any choice in this, so complaining about their decision-making is really pointless.

As far as Sirotkin goes: If he is really a great driver, he will make it despite his young age. The truly good always prevail. If he's only mediocre, like Algersuari for example, well, then nothing of value is lost.

And as far as safety goes: Maldonado is 28 and still drives like a total idiot, even compared to his rookie teammate. And the driver who is still managing to crash his car all on his own more than anyone else is the third oldest on the grid...

I don't see that as the end of F1, nobody saw him during a race and you are allready saying he is a danger, just because he is young, it doesn't mean anything. Here is maybe a champion, who knows ?

My opinion... drivers should progress and earn a place in F1.
Nowadays with a enough sponsor backing you can buy your seattime before you even can apply for a regular driving license.
It takes the magic out of F1 premier class where the world best drivers should compete.
Having almost children doing F1 tests is not good for the reputation.
But who knows.. he might be a future champion.

he may be young, but he is not without talent. he has had wins and podiums in every formula he's competed in except Formula Renault 3.5, and even in that formula he has 1 podium. he might be 8th in FR 3.5 at the moment but he has had a bad season so far - 2 retirements and 1 Did Not Start from 9 races. there is still half of the season left, so there is still plenty of time for him to get some good results.

My understanding may be hazy but shouldn't he be ineligible for a super licence meaning he won't be able to race in F1. Sauber might try and push the consistently finish well claim but surely if he's only 8th that can't stick, can it?

My understanding may be hazy but shouldn't he be ineligible for a super licence meaning he won't be able to race in F1. Sauber might try and push the consistently finish well claim but surely if he's only 8th that can't stick, can it?
Daniel Lee, you are correct, he is currently ineligible for a superlicence. to get one automatically he would have to win the FR 3.5 championship. but, he can also get one through the FIA if he is judged by them to have consistently demonstrated outstanding ability in single-seater formula cars.

He may not be a bad driver BUT..it's sad, the level that sponsorship money plays in today's F1.
It's always been there to some extent, but never this much.
Think of how the current reserve driver must feel after essentially being 'stepped' over.
I could possibly understand this kid getting a reserve driver position, with a full-time seat... IF he trumps the current reserve in on-track practice sessions and engineering feedback.
To tie seat availability to sponsorship money is just plain wrong.
They're just too many good, hard-working, guys...who've waited a long time, being passed over.
It's wrong.

He may not be a bad driver BUT..it's sad, the level that sponsorship money plays in today's F1.
It's always been there to some extent, but never this much.
Think of how the current reserve driver must feel after essentially being 'stepped' over.
I could possibly understand this kid getting a reserve driver position, with a full-time seat... IF he trumps the current reserve in on-track practice sessions and engineering feedback.
To tie seat availability to sponsorship money is just plain wrong.
They're just too many good, hard-working, guys...who've waited a long time, being passed over.
It's wrong.
If actual talent mattered anymore Kobayashi would still have a seat, and Kimi would be a double world champion.

Can somebody explain me how a 17 year old with hardly any experience in the higher Formula classes gets the needed "super license" to be able to compete in Formula 1.

Aren't there any basic requirements for such a license a drivers needs to fulfill?

Stoffel Vandoorne do you get such a super license after competing in the WSR FR3.5?

Can somebody explain me how a 17 year old with hardly any experience in the higher Formula classes gets the needed "super license" to be able to compete in Formula 1.

Aren't there any basic requirements for such a license a drivers needs to fulfill?

Stoffel Vandoorne do you get such a super license after competing in the WSR FR3.5?
Massa has a "Super licence", and he did't got it yesterday.:)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back