144hz monitors

Looking for some definitive info on what is needed to make 144hz monitors worthwhile. I was under the illusion my frame rate had to match the 144hz to make it worthwhile but have since heard differing opinions.

Anyway thinking of getting a 144hz for iracing purposes and would like to know what sort of framerates do i need to be hitting to make it worthwhile.

Any make/model recommendations welcome also, would be looking towards an extra wide curved model.

Looking for some definitive info on what is needed to make 144hz monitors worthwhile. I was under the illusion my frame rate had to match the 144hz to make it worthwhile but have since heard differing opinions.

Anyway thinking of getting a 144hz for iracing purposes and would like to know what sort of framerates do i need to be hitting to make it worthwhile.

Any make/model recommendations welcome also, would be looking towards an extra wide curved model.

By definition it will need to run at at least 144 frames per second - because if you run at less than that, some frames will only appear on your screen after 2 refreshes instead of 1, if that makes sense, and if you're below 72 frames per second, some frames will only appear after 3 refreshes, which means that you would be negating the biggest advantage of having a 144Hz screen - reduction of input lag.

I have a Qnix 2720 or something like that, but only because it's by far the cheapest one I could find, but I've heard that some of the Acers are pretty kickass - no idea what the model numbers are, so if I were you I'd rather look for one of the more famous brands. The other drawback regarding Qnix, is that it's Korean-based, so your precious screen will face one hell of a commute in case you need to RMA, not to mention the increased transportation costs.

Upvote 0
If you get a monitor with V-Sync (ATI) or G-Sync (NVIDIA) capabilities, then there will be no screen tearing at all as it dynamically matches your monitor refresh rate to the FPS that you're getting at that instant in time.

So I average around 120fps in AC, and there's is zero screen tearing. It's really amazing and completely changes the way the game looks IMO as everything is clearer.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 262 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 173 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 169 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 128 7.5%
  • < 5 years