1440p 144hz triple monitors on combination of displayport and hdmi. Possible?

Hello everyone. I'm hoping someone has real-world experience with my situation.

I have a 1080ti which has two Displayports and two Hdmi outputs.

I'm wanting to get triple monitors that will be able to do 144hz and 1440p for a Sim rig I'm building.

1) would I be able to get all three monitors to be able to show 1440p and 144hz? Or would I be limited to 60hz seeing I'll have to use a combination of displayport and hdmi connections.

2) would that gpu be able to get anywhere close to 144hz on 1440p in Assetto Corsa and iracing? If it helps, it is paired with a i5 8400.

I've had a look around for answers to my questions but see a lot of conflicting data. I'm hoping there are people here who have first hand knowledge.

My first post here and excited to be a part of this community.

Take care.

Well, for reference...

I have an Aorus 2080TI (actually I have two but shhhhhhh) and for experimental purposes I had 3 monitors running 1080p/144hz. Two monitors were on display port and one was HDMI. The HDMI monitor was visibly lower quality but that was probably just the crappy wire.

EDIT: The monitors were identical and were only capable of 1080.

Mixing the wires should not lock you to a lower frame rate.

A long time ago I did this same thing with VGA/HDMI 60hz and it did NOT lock me to 30 so...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm using a 1080Ti (MSI Gaming X) with three 1440p monitors (Lenovo G32qc-10) at 144hz. Center monitor via DP and the two side monitors via HDMI. It works without issue in Assetto Corsa and iRacing (and with no visual degradation via HDMI, atleast none that I've noticed).

However, when using Nvidia Surround I'm limited to a maximum of 60hz (which I think is due to the GPU being of an older generation). AC and iRacing doesn't need Surround but it is needed in titles like Assetto Corsa Competizione, Dirt Rally 2.0, RaceRoom Racing Experience, Euro Truck Simulator and KartKraft.

By the way, switching Surround on and off etc really is a hassle, especially if you like myself have a rig and also a desktop space using the same computer. For creating different display profiles and easily switching between them, I can highly recommend a program called DisplayMagician (it's free but donations are available which I just reminded myself to do). The creator is also here on the forums which is a plus. Here's a link to his thread where you can also find the download link: https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...hanges-with-a-single-desktop-shortcut.199994/

As for performance I'm quite happy with my 1080Ti paired with an i7 9700k and 16GB RAM. I haven't done any scientific tests at all but when hotlapping in AC around the Nordschleife in different cars, using quite high settings with CSP and SOL, I think the reported average usually is around 115 FPS.

In iRacing using what I think is medium settings it drops to around 60 at the back of a start but when the field's spread out it's usually 100+ when checking. I don't check it much at all though as it really doesn't bother me, which is a bit weird since I'm actually really picky when playing for example CS:GO, but when racing, for me, it doesn't matter as long as it feels smooth enough. I am however looking to upgrade as soon as the GPU prices drop to a reasonable level again.

A fellow Swede did a couple of benchmarks at 7680x1440 using a 1080Ti, although with more CPU performance than you have but maybe it can be of help:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If both cables are capable of carrying 144 Hz signals, you should be able to setup surround at this frequency.
If I'm not wrong, HDMI is up to 60 Hz, but I'm not sure.

I think I've read somewhere that older generation GPU's can't handle higher refresh rates at such a high resolution for one monitor (as to the computer it's just one big screen with a resolution of 7680x1440). Would love to run Surround at a higher refresh rate as well so please prove me wrong :)

My cables are definitely capable of 144hz as it works perfectly when not using Surround. HDMI in itself as well since 2.0-2.0b and forwards, and on the 1080Ti it's 2.0b (and DP 1.4).

Upvote 0
I'm using a 1080Ti (MSI Gaming X) with three 1440p monitors (Lenovo G32qc-10) at 144hz. Center monitor via DP and the two side monitors via HDMI. It works without issue in Assetto Corsa and iRacing (and with no visual degradation via HDMI, atleast none that I've noticed).

However, when using Nvidia Surround I'm limited to a maximum of 60hz (which I think is due to the GPU being of an older generation). AC and iRacing doesn't need Surround but it is needed in titles like Assetto Corsa Competizione, Dirt Rally 2.0, RaceRoom Racing Experience, Euro Truck Simulator and KartKraft.

By the way, switching Surround on and off etc really is a hassle, especially if you like myself have a rig and also a desktop space using the same computer. For creating different display profiles and easily switching between them, I can highly recommend a program called DisplayMagician (it's free but donations are available which I just reminded myself to do). The creator is also here on the forums which is a plus. Here's a link to his thread where you can also find the download link: https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...hanges-with-a-single-desktop-shortcut.199994/

As for performance I'm quite happy with my 1080Ti paired with an i7 9700k and 16GB RAM. I haven't done any scientific tests at all but when hotlapping in AC around the Nordschleife in different cars, using quite high settings with CSP and SOL, I think the reported average usually is around 115 FPS.

In iRacing using what I think is medium settings it drops to around 60 at the back of a start but when the field's spread out it's usually 100+ when checking. I don't check it much at all though as it really doesn't bother me, which is a bit weird since I'm actually really picky when playing for example CS:GO, but when racing, for me, it doesn't matter as long as it feels smooth enough. I am however looking to upgrade as soon as the GPU prices drop to a reasonable level again.

A fellow Swede did a couple of benchmarks at 7680x1440 using a 1080Ti, although with more CPU performance than you have but maybe it can be of help:
This is perfect. Thank you very much for the insight.

Like you, I'm looking to upgrade and waiting for GPU prices to drop. In fact, I only started this sim racing thing because I didn't want to overspend on a new PC - but just had to spend the money on something...

Upvote 0
Hey All,

Chipping in on this as I am looking for a solution for the same problem.

I have recently purchased 3 x Gigabyte G32QC (32" @ 1440P and 165HZ) screens for my sim rig.

I am using an RTX 2070 Super which has a 3 x Display Port and 1 x HDMI (2.0b)

The problem I am facing is that I wish to use all four ports as I also use a Reverb G2 for VR and I am currently having to disconnect one screen each time I wish to use VR.

The HMD doesn't support HDMI so it forces me to disconnect a display port each time.

I attempted to use an HDMI to the right triple monitor setup. It works fine in a non Surround configuration. However, as soon as I configure surround I am limited to 5760 x 1080 instead of 7680 x 1440.

As this is not the native resolution, the image looks quite poor as you could imagine.

I have looked around online at KVM style switch but there seems to be no solid evidence of this working.

Does anyone have a suggestion? Other than using a Male/Female display port and mounting this next to my Reverb G2?

Upvote 0
Still waiting on someone showcasing

1x Central Samsung G9 49" 32:9
2x Side Samsung G7 27" 16:9

This would remove the screen borders to a less critical area.
As a combo not sure how well 4x 27" would work or look?

However as G7 also have P&P mode (120Hz) it may be possible to use 1/2 of the screens on G7 to then form 8:9 / 32:9 / 8:9 for 48:9 (Triples). Leaving 1/2 of each G7 monitor for multitasking or as secondary inputs.

Ive been tempted to go this route having recently bought the G9.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't have the G9 but I recently just updated to a 34" ultrawide curved with 2 x 27" curved panels (1440p 144hz) on the sides. It was at this point I discovered that surround does not allow you to mix resolution even though they support the same frame rates and have the same vertical pixel count. I have however found a way around this. I have only played Dirt 2.0 and F1 2020 and typically get 60-80fps in this config. I could probably further improve this via graphical tweaks but I feel it plays quite well as is. My hardware is,

Ryzen 7 3800x
Corsair 16Gb ram 3200mhz
EVGA 2070 rtx super hybrid.

Upvote 0
Almost any combination with HDMI in surround mode will limit to 60hz due to limits in the used standard, there is better available but not sure you can find both monitor and gpu supporting it.

Certain surround sizes will also limit Hz, 3x1440 is only up to 120hz (might have change on 30xx series). There are also limits on how big surround can be in pixels.

Non symetrical triple are supported by the major sims, however F1 and Dirt series mention don't support true triple setup at all so there it don't really matter what your ratio is.

Upvote 0
Hey All,

Chipping in on this as I am looking for a solution for the same problem.

I have recently purchased 3 x Gigabyte G32QC (32" @ 1440P and 165HZ) screens for my sim rig.

I am using an RTX 2070 Super which has a 3 x Display Port and 1 x HDMI (2.0b)

The problem I am facing is that I wish to use all four ports as I also use a Reverb G2 for VR and I am currently having to disconnect one screen each time I wish to use VR.

The HMD doesn't support HDMI so it forces me to disconnect a display port each time.

I attempted to use an HDMI to the right triple monitor setup. It works fine in a non Surround configuration. However, as soon as I configure surround I am limited to 5760 x 1080 instead of 7680 x 1440.

As this is not the native resolution, the image looks quite poor as you could imagine.

I have looked around online at KVM style switch but there seems to be no solid evidence of this working.

Does anyone have a suggestion? Other than using a Male/Female display port and mounting this next to my Reverb G2?
Sounds like you are running out of memory on your GPU.
You NEED to account for all the bit maps you are wanting to drive....

Upvote 0
Thanks for anyone that chipped in. Seems to be an issue with the specific monitors i am using.

Others I have spoken to that are using a 2070S have made this work with different 32" panels.

Anyway I am using shortcut commands to kill the surround and then a monitor switching utility to disable the righthand screen.

Then a male/female extension 1.4 display port cable so I can connect the VR without getting out of the seat.

Not ideal but it works for now anyway.

Upvote 0
No, you don't need HDMI 2.X standard. Read my link. HDMI 1.3 is enough. And almost all newest VGA cards already support HDMI 2.x.
Never stated it was not possible, read the wiki. It all comes down to resolution and if you using triples and so on. Look at some of the newest gaming monitors, lots of them still on 1.4. Also stated in the article you linked: "It really depends on a host of other variables including your connected equipment, content, and resolution, though."

Upvote 0
After having read the wiki for both the HDMI and the DisplayPort, I can confirm that it depends on the protocol of:

• the ports of the monitor (HDMI version, DP version)
  • the monitors' resolution
  • the cables (HDMI version, DP version)
  • the ports of the graphics card (HDMI version, DP version)

In the attached pictures I have shown the example for HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.4, and shown what their max frame-rate at a certain resolution is by circling it in purple (but you can see all the possibilities with all resolutions and frame-rates). These values are the maximums for each screen, which is fine if just running them as multiple screens "on their own", but when using surround, the resolution is much bigger. You can see that HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.4 can both give you 144Hz at 1440p, but only 120Hz at 4K. Triple 1080p is basically "3K", so it maybe is possible to get 144Hz, or at least something more than 120Hz, but that's it.

Check your GPU manual, check your cables, check your monitors' manual and resolution, and you will know what you can achieve as standalone triple and as surround triple :)

Attachments

• HDMI.jpeg
    HDMI.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 130
  • DP.jpg
    DP.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for anyone that chipped in. Seems to be an issue with the specific monitors i am using.

Others I have spoken to that are using a 2070S have made this work with different 32" panels.

Anyway I am using shortcut commands to kill the surround and then a monitor switching utility to disable the righthand screen.

Then a male/female extension 1.4 display port cable so I can connect the VR without getting out of the seat.

Not ideal but it works for now anyway.
Just wondering if you ever found a better solution? I have the exact same monitors and the exact same problem.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing